Orlov in talks with KHL

nossagog

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/05/26/khl-cska-in-talks-to-sign-dmitry-orlov-capitals/

Wonder if this is a way to push up his contract value with the Capitals.  Pretty clear he wants a longer term deal, could be trying to force a long term deal with top dollars.   Could hurt the Caps cap for coming years. 

11 hours ago, nossagog said:

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/05/26/khl-cska-in-talks-to-sign-dmitry-orlov-capitals/

Wonder if this is a way to push up his contract value with the Capitals.  Pretty clear he wants a longer term deal, could be trying to force a long term deal with top dollars.   Could hurt the Caps cap for coming years. 

Let him go! They should be able to find some one, some where that is just as good at a cheaper price! 

13 hours ago, nossagog said:

I don't know if the KHL has as much influence as it did a few years ago.  The KHL has cut one team for next season and many of the teams are behind in paying their players too.   I don't see Orlov making much more than 4- 4.5K, which really probably shouldn't be that much to be concerned over except that they are already at $50M and have 10 players to sign.

They probably can't re-sign Oshie or Alzner too,  and what kind of money are Kuznetsov and Burakovsky going to command?  

Just now, hf101 said:

I don't know if the KHL has as much influence as it did a few years ago.  The KHL has cut one team for next season and many of the teams are behind in paying their players too.   I don't see Orlov making much more than 4- 4.5K, which really probably shouldn't be that much to be concerned over except that they are already at $50M and have 10 players to sign.

They probably can't re-sign Oshie or Alzner too,  and what kind of money are Kuznetsov and Burakovsky going to command?  

My personal thoughts on the KHL is that they tried to grow the league too fast at the cost of the lower teams(whom could not spend).   If the KHL wants to survive, I see them contracting even further and just having the teams that can be financially successful.  That means that those teams that survive will probably be allowed to spend more in order to try to draw better players. Just not sure how soon this will happen. 

This could work in two ways, if a the KHL teams comes in and offers a good contract, that could push away any interest in him with the RFA market.  That "may" allow the Caps to sign him, again, for a one year bridge deal for a lesser amount. Then its up to Orlov as to whether he wants to stay here or not.  He could make more short term in the KHL over there, if that's what he's about.

Jane, don't underestimate the upside of Orlov's game. IMHO he's going to be a top tier defenseman in the NHL that is able to play with a physical edge.   With the aging of the Caps defense, see the pylon Orpik whom they have for two more years, the Caps would love to have him long term. 

On 5/28/2017 at 9:26 AM, nossagog said:

My personal thoughts on the KHL is that they tried to grow the league too fast at the cost of the lower teams(whom could not spend).   If the KHL wants to survive, I see them contracting even further and just having the teams that can be financially successful.  That means that those teams that survive will probably be allowed to spend more in order to try to draw better players. Just not sure how soon this will happen. 

This could work in two ways, if a the KHL teams comes in and offers a good contract, that could push away any interest in him with the RFA market.  That "may" allow the Caps to sign him, again, for a one year bridge deal for a lesser amount. Then its up to Orlov as to whether he wants to stay here or not.  He could make more short term in the KHL over there, if that's what he's about.

Jane, don't underestimate the upside of Orlov's game. IMHO he's going to be a top tier defenseman in the NHL that is able to play with a physical edge.   With the aging of the Caps defense, see the pylon Orpik whom they have for two more years, the Caps would love to have him long term. 

I'm  sure he is a solid player! Maybe by letting him go they may be able to find some one as good at a slightlylower rate of pay!

On 5/28/2017 at 9:26 AM, nossagog said:

I totally agree. I'm a HUGE Orlov fan. He has not hit his peak yet, plays a very solid game in his own end, nice first pass AND can really throw'em when he wants to. People pay *just* for toughness, but this guy is a rare combo of tough and skilled. He is a perfect fit to run any teams 2nd pp. and can fill in respectably on the top pp when required. Forget where his plus/minus finished, but he was over +20 every time I looked. I was wondering if somebody was gonna tender him as a RFA, giving just under the 3 first rounder territory. I think it's a 1st and 3rd, not sure. 

Guy is also good in the room, a solid teammate. Washington should just pay up, cause he would be a big loss. I can see letting Oshie go, because I thought Burakowsky made a STRONG impression in the playoffs, kid has wheels and moves....looks like a blossoming star. Due to pure lack of stats, they should be able to sign Burakowsky fairly cheap, Kunetsov will be costly, but another young talent you dare not part with. 

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I totally agree. I'm a HUGE Orlov fan. He has not hit his peak yet, plays a very solid game in his own end, nice first pass AND can really throw'em when he wants to. People pay *just* for toughness, but this guy is a rare combo of tough and skilled. He is a perfect fit to run any teams 2nd pp. and can fill in respectably on the top pp when required. Forget where his plus/minus finished, but he was over +20 every time I looked. I was wondering if somebody was gonna tender him as a RFA, giving just under the 3 first rounder territory. I think it's a 1st and 3rd, not sure. 

Guy is also good in the room, a solid teammate. Washington should just pay up, cause he would be a big loss. I can see letting Oshie go, because I thought Burakowsky made a STRONG impression in the playoffs, kid has wheels and moves....looks like a blossoming star. Due to pure lack of stats, they should be able to sign Burakowsky fairly cheap, Kunetsov will be costly, but another young talent you dare not part with. 

This is where players "feelings" are hurt that can damage relationships.   If they want to keep him, just sign him and make him feel welcome and wanted.   If they let a player of his caliber hit the RFA market, and someone DOES give him an offer that the Caps have to match, then its only going to be short term, and it could cost them later if he has another good year.

The threat of the KHL is nowhere near what it once was just notice the exodus of the Russian players from there back to the NHL....now a lot of scrub AHL like talent is headed over there for whatever reason....

Archived