Who will be Awarded with the Conn Smyth?

hf101

Who will be Awarded with the Conn Smyth?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Awarded with the Conn Smyth?

• Sidney Crosby
    • Evengi Malkin
    • Jake Guentzel
    • Matt Murray
    • Pekke Rinne

Unless Nashville comes back to win it all this year's recipient will again be a Pittsburgh Penguin.

Sidney Crosby already has 3 more points than he did last year when he won the award.

Evengi Malkin currently has 2 more goals and 2 more assists than Crosby.

Jake Guentzel currently has 3 less points than Crosby, and leads the team with 12 goals including 5 game winning goals.

Who would you give the MVP of the playoffs to?

If the Pens go on to win, Jake Pretzel should get it for his incredible post season. Problem is Uncle Gary, Emrick, Eddie O and Regis will all want Crosby to win the Conn Smythe.

20 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I voted for Guentzel. Really like the kid. 

How would you like to be Guentzel right now?  In the Stanley cup finals, scoring all those goals.  Kid must be in the clouds.  Good for him.  

Fun for him and fun for us.

Voted for Rinne simply because without him, the Preds don't advance to the SCF with all the injuries the Preds sustained during their playoff run.

2nd would be MAF.  Again, without MAF, the Pens are at home right now playing golf with the Flyers.

I have no problems if Guentzel wins it.  The kid has been lights out.  He seems well grounded.  Too bad he is not in O&B.  Great pick for the Pens (I think I just threw up there a bit).

Can't believe I nabbed him with my 5th pick for the Fantasy Playoff League.  If I would have picked another goalie besides Holtby, just maybe I would be in 1st place......

On 6/1/2017 at 5:04 AM, hf101 said:

Unless Nashville comes back to win it all this year's recipient will again be a Pittsburgh Penguin.

Sidney Crosby already has 3 more points than he did last year when he won the award.

Evengi Malkin currently has 2 more goals and 2 more assists than Crosby.

Jake Guentzel currently has 3 less points than Crosby, and leads the team with 12 goals including 5 game winning goals.

Who would you give the MVP of the playoffs to?

For me consistency needs to be an essential criterion for deciding 

a team's most valuable player during the playoffs. Which's why 

Evgeni Malkin would be my pick if the Conn Smythe were decided tonight. 

Guentzel's been amazing in places--and doing it as a rookie! He's already passed

prior American hockey playoff studs and he's :showingguns: now gunning for

Dino's :readytofight: goal record--but he's had droughts too: no goals in eight games, 

two points in seven games against Ottawa. The game-winning-goal thing gets 

weird for me in that it's not that impressive unless a goal breaks a tie late in

the third period or finishes an overtime. If a player puts his team up 2 - 1 but his

team tacks on three more scores, he still gets the GWG stat. Does anyone know :searching:

how many if any GWGs from Guentzel this playoff run have been the sole difference 

in any battles decided by one goal? :scratcheshead:

In the meantime and irrespective of that, Malkin's my man. Seems to me that

he has consistently played well and produced night after night. Others in

our community and in the media have commented how his stellar team-leading

production has been quiet. And I've thought that too: thought it when I saw

his Stanley stats were posted last series during a game and my brain 

blurted some version of Holy crap! Really? Really indeed. If Evgeni continues 

and if the Pens collect the Cup, his studly stats should get all kinds of loud:excl:

Loud enough to win the Conn Smythe. :firstplace:

The Stanley Cup Finals always seems to have great subplots within 

its compelling narrative every year. This year one of those would be 

Frederick Gaudreau with the Predators. 

He's played only ten NHL games in his career. Scoring three goals: 

all of which have come this Final! Fantastic! :predators: :hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

Even more fantastic? The guy's done this after badly breaking his wrist 

and after doctors told him he wouldn't be able to play hockey again. Thankfully 

for us and for himself, he ignored the doctors, got better, and now this Finals 

proves richer because he made it here. Nicely done, Frederick. :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys: :plus1:

Wow, seems like a lifetime ago, when Dino was putting up those CRAZY stats as a rookie. All those North Star fans coming to the rink with the stuffed Dinosaurs!!  That was some fun stuff!  Now, we have Jake within a single goal of the fantastic totals that Dino put up, over 3 decades ago....that is a historic run, and *if* the Pens win, Jake wholeheartedly deserves the CS Trophy.

If it's Smashville, you just gotta go with Pekka Rinne. A close second goes to Forsberg, who put up some awesome numbers right after Ryan Johansson was lost for the playoffs. If Forsberg does not come up big after the injury, the Preds may have lost faith. He filled the net when it really mattered.

Has anyone noticed that Ciccarelli scored 14 in 19 playoff games while Guentzel will play his 24th on Thursday?

At worst this is apples and oranges. At best it's Granny Smiths and McIntoshes.

Kinda like how it's easier to break a rookie record for overtime goals when you play 3-on-3?

Tremendous achievement for the rookie but it's not irrelevant to note that Ciccarelli went on to score 14 playoff goals over his next 43 playoff games and never broke double digit tallies in the playoffs for the remainder of his career.

:hocky::cheers::frantics:

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

Kinda like how it's easier to break a rookie record for overtime goals when you play 3-on-3?

Like easier to win a Cup when there is only 6 teams??

:ph34r:

On 6/4/2017 at 0:37 AM, thenewestlights said:

For me consistency needs to be an essential criterion for deciding 

a team's most valuable player during the playoffs. Which's why 

Evgeni Malkin would be my pick if the Conn Smythe were decided tonight. 

Guentzel's been amazing in places--and doing it as a rookie! He's already passed

prior American hockey playoff studs and he's :showingguns: now gunning for

Dino's :readytofight: goal record--but he's had droughts too: no goals in eight games, 

two points in seven games against Ottawa. The game-winning-goal thing gets 

weird for me in that it's not that impressive unless a goal breaks a tie late in

the third period or finishes an overtime. If a player puts his team up 2 - 1 but his

team tacks on three more goals, he still gets the GWG stat. Does anyone know :searching:

how many if any GWGs from Guentzel this playoff run have been the sole difference 

in any battles decided by one goal? :scratcheshead:

In the meantime and irrespective of that, Malkin's my man. Seems to me that

he has consistently played well and produced night after night. Others in

our community and in the media have commented how his stellar team-leading

production has been quiet. And I've thought that too: thought it when I saw

his Stanley stats were posted last series during a game and my brain 

blurted some version of Holy crap! Really? Really indeed. If Evgeni continues 

and if the Pens collect the Cup, his studly stats should get all kinds of loud:excl:

Loud enough to win the Conn Smythe. :firstplace:

Nice post.

Guentzel has now tied Dino's record and is in the history books chances are he will get another point in the next game or two and he will have this record.  -- A great accomplishment.  I'm not sure if there have been many GWG for him that were over 1 goal other than the winner in OT that he had.

You are right in the MVP will be who has consistently played well throughout the playoffs and that means to me it will come down to Crosby or Malkin.  As of one or two more games left to play Malkin has only a 1 pt lead over Crosby.  And while it probably should be Malkin's time for the MVP trophy I wouldn't at all be surprised if Crosby wins it again.

On 6/9/2017 at 5:38 AM, hf101 said:

Nice post.

Guentzel has now tied Dino's record and is in the history books chances are he will get another point in the next game or two and he will have this record.  -- A great accomplishment.  I'm not sure if there have been many GWG for him that were over 1 goal other than the winner in OT that he had.

You are right in the MVP will be who has consistently played well throughout the playoffs and that means to me it will come down to Crosby or Malkin.  As of one or two more games left to play Malkin has only a 1 pt lead over Crosby.  And while it probably should be Malkin's time for the MVP trophy I wouldn't at all be surprised if Crosby wins it again.

Sure enough. Crosby wins the Conn Smythe again. 

Wonder if Malkin would have won if he'd gotten a 

goal or assist in the game... :scratcheshead: Neither he nor 

Crosby scored. So Malkin finished as this year's 

leading scorer in the playoffs. 

Methinks he should've received the Smythe. :):(

I've argued the Malkin angle. Anyone care to 

make Sid's case? :toast:

Here's some pitching from USA Today for Crosby which 

includes mention that Malkin got more playoff goals: 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2017/06/10/sidney-crosby-conn-smythe-playoff-mvp-race/102701284/ 

Whadda ya think? 

6 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

Sure enough. Crosby wins the Conn Smythe again. 

Wonder if Malkin would have won if he'd gotten a 

goal or assist in the game... :scratcheshead: Neither he nor 

Crosby scored. So Malkin finished as this year's 

leading scorer in the playoffs. 

Methinks he should've received the Smythe. :):(

Here's some pitching from USA Today for Crosby which 

includes mention that Malkin got more playoff goals: 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2017/06/10/sidney-crosby-conn-smythe-playoff-mvp-race/102701284/ 

Whadda ya think? 

Honestly, Malkin isn't in the conversation for me. He had a nice playoffs, but Crosby stirs this drink. 

They were pushed to the brink a couple times, so I don't think they win this without either of them. Leadership and other responsibilities, Crosby in a walk for me. And then possibly Guentzel before Malkin just based on the huge /clutch nature of many of his goals. 

Nice playoffs for Malkin. Really rice. But he isn't MVP if I'm voting. 

8 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

Whadda ya think? 

I can try. Sure - Malkin had more points. 1 more. I said earlier in this post-season (Malkin was the leading point getter at that time, too) that it was the quietest however-many-points scored I could recall. It's not to take away from Malkin. He had a very good post-season (obviously) but just about every time Crosby had the puck in the offensive zone I thought something good was going to happen.

When you have two world class players basically tied for the points lead I think the guy with the "C" gets the Smythe every time.

If Guentzel had scored a goal or two in the final two games I think he would have gotten it.

And besides, Malkin got his Smythe in '09. :VeryCool:

1 minute ago, B21 said:

I can try. Sure - Malkin had more points. 1 more. I said earlier in this post-season (Malkin was the leading point getter at that time, too) that it was the quietest however-many-points scored I could recall. It's not to take away from Malkin. He had a very good post-season (obviously) but just about every time Crosby had the puck in the offensive zone I thought something good was going to happen.

When you have two world class players basically tied for the points lead I think the guy with the "C" gets the Smythe every time.

If Guentzel had scored a goal or two in the final two games I think he would have gotten it.

I think Malkin takes games off as well. Crosby is definitely a more consistent player...other than when injured.

2 hours ago, B21 said:

I can dig. I wonder if voters faulted Malkin for some iffy play on 

the power play a couple different times. I know he scored a PPG, 

but I remember watching him wide open multiple times, and calling out: 

"Shoot the damned puck, Malkin!" :lol: Not only did he not listen to me :haha2:

he didn't pass or he'd lose possession. 

:)

Archived