Leafs add Swedish d-men Rosen and Borgman

jammer2

Some experts raving about these two under the radar signings. Both Swedish D-men have some very nice upside. It appears the Leafs will have no problem filling the shoes of Hunwick and Polak, both leaving as UFA. Rosen won the Swedish rookie of the year award. It appears both are fantastic skaters and with Travis Dermott ready to crack the NHL line up, the one weak spot on the Leafs is being addressed slowly but surely. I also expect them to sign one UFA d man...maybe Alzner or Orlov??

http://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-roundtable-rosen-borgman/

• 1 month later...

I was reading these experts and I need to believe them because I didn't see them play. I watched the World championship tournament but I didn't see them. I am looking forward to seeing them next year in a Leafs uniform and hopefully, they can help stabilize the defense which was our Achilles heel last year.

I hope that they are as good as the experts say and give the Leafs the production on defense that we need after Polak left us. I trust Babcock and Lou that they think that they fit the Leafs system and that they will help to make the defense better and more stable than last year.

• 2 months later...

I take that back. Now that I have seen these two guys play a few games, they are both very good players. Are they good enough? Who knows - they at least look better than Marincin. The proof is in the pudding I guess. :VeryCool:

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I take that back. Now that I have seen these two guys play a few games, they are both very good players. Are they good enough? Who knows - they at least look better than Marincin. The proof is in the pudding I guess. :VeryCool:

It looks like there are two spots available on defense. Right now, I have Rosen as the odds on favourite to snag the 6th d-man spot. Whoever wins that spot will pair up with Connor Carrick on the final pairing. 

That leaves A) Marincin

B)Borgman

C) Travis Dermott

D)Andrew Nielson 

E)Roman Polak

Polak may win by default. The reason being the other kids are young and need to play. Being a 7th dman can stunt the growth of a young kid. Polak is a veteran that you can stick into any role. The fact he was one of the primary penalty killers last year for the Leafs is a feather in Roman's cap. Polak is hurt right now, recovering from the broken leg suffered in Rd 1 against Washington. We should at least see who the Leafs value the most out of the remaining group. 

Rosen skates so well, he's pretty well guaranteed a roster spot....AND the Leafs have told him to get an Apartment in the Toronto area, which at least assures he's a Leaf and or Marlie. 

I'm a big fan of Dermott and he *may* bring some offensive flair the others don't....but taking care of your own end and safe efficient outlet passes are a must right now. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2017/09/26/leafs-defensive-prospect-rosen-looking-right-at-home-in-toronto.html

• 3 weeks later...

I'm impressed by both of the Swedes so far.

TO is winning with them so perhaps the future should be considered bright as they grow and mature, they have enabled TO to be the offensive powerhouse we've seen so far and it is because of them I still see TO as a rebuilding franchise, a youth nurturing place, where future greatness might be closer than we should've thought possible. 

Archived