Who will the Jackets lose in the expansion draft?

It is a problem that good organizations go through during an expansion  year, who they are gonna have to lose, and it is unfamiliar territory for the CBJ to be in a position where they are going to lose a player who they would love to keep. IMHO it will almost certainly be one of the following three:

JOONAS KORPISALO: A very solid backup goalie who is almost universally being selected in mock drafts by the pundits. Korpisalo is a solid young goalie but his loss would be covered by the equally young and talented Anton Forsberg. This is probably the best case scenario for the Jackets although i really do like Korpisalo.

RYAN MURRAY The star crossed Murray was the second pick in the draft during his draft year but has missed more time to injury than he has had on the ice and his progress has been slowed, he has been passed by both Werenski and Sean Jones on the depth chart. Murray still has top four written all over him and he could eventually be the stay at home partner on the top pair with a puck rusher beside him. 

JOSH ANDERSON This IMHO is the nightmare scenario that the Jackets are facing, I disagree with the pundits who have the Knights selecting Korpisalo if Anderson is available, I believe he will  be snagged in a Las Vegas minute. He is big, strong, fast, plays a hard hitting game and can score and most importantly has just barely begun to touch the surface of his skill. He has 25-30 goal a year for the next decade while playing a pain in the rear for the opposition style, kind of a James Neal type if you will.

IMHO it behooves the Jackets to entice the Knights to go with Murray or Korpisalo and draw them away from Anderson by offering a pick or an AHL prospect to keep them away from Anderson. 

My guess is Hartnell will get bought out allowing for Boone Jenner to be protected.  

Protected players I think will be:

Forwards: Nick Foligno (NMC), Brandon Dubinsky(NMC), 
Alex Wennberg, Cam Atkinson, Brandon Saad, Boone Jenner, and Josh Anderson
Defense:  Seth Jones, David Savard, Ryan Murray
Goalie: Sergei Bobrovsky 

Thus, I'm going to agree with a lot of the Mock Drafts in that Vegas will select Jonas Korpisalo.  One of the big advantages for Vegas in this pick is Korpisalo can easily be the 3rd goaltender playing in the AHL and available for Call-up.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:33 PM, hf101 said:

My guess is Hartnell will get bought out allowing for Boone Jenner to be protected.  

Protected players I think will be:

Forwards: Nick Foligno (NMC), Brandon Dubinsky(NMC), 
Alex Wennberg, Cam Atkinson, Brandon Saad, Boone Jenner, and Josh Anderson
Defense:  Seth Jones, David Savard, Ryan Murray
Goalie: Sergei Bobrovsky 

Thus, I'm going to agree with a lot of the Mock Drafts in that Vegas will select Jonas Korpisalo.  One of the big advantages for Vegas in this pick is Korpisalo can easily be the 3rd goaltender playing in the AHL and available for Call-up.

News is breaking the Jackets may have reached a deal with the Knights. It might be the Jackets 24th pick overall, their 1st rounder, a prospect.....in return the Knights will take Clarkson's 3 years remaining at 5+ mill and not select certain players, probably guys like Wenneberg and Josh Anderson. A crazy high price to pay, later picks may also be included. Clarkson can be LTIR'ed....but the hit does not come off during the summer and you have to stay near the cap ceiling to utilize the LTIR (as Flyer fans painfully know already). 

http://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-offer-first-clue-in-expansion-draft-plans/

50 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

News is breaking the Jackets may have reached a deal with the Knights. It might be the Jackets 24th pick overall, their 1st rounder, a prospect.....in return the Knights will take Clarkson's 3 years remaining at 5+ mill and not select certain players, probably guys like Wenneberg and Josh Anderson. A crazy high price to pay, later picks may also be included. Clarkson can be LTIR'ed....but the hit does not come off during the summer and you have to stay near the cap ceiling to utilize the LTIR (as Flyer fans painfully know already). 

http://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-offer-first-clue-in-expansion-draft-plans/

Ouch!

Man i am tired of these trading LTIR contracts like so many junk bonds, Pronger, Horton, Savard, Datsyuk, Clarkson, all dealt in the last year or two never to play again, and at least that many whom I missed off the top of my head. That aint hockey.

Apparently, the Blue Jackets are willing to give up their first rounder and a prospect not named Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano so that players Josh Anderson, Joonas Korpisalo, Jack Johnson, or David Savard, will not be chosen.  

Quite a price to pay since the Blue Jackets also do not have a 2nd round pick in this years draft since they had to give up a 2nd rounder for hiring Tortorella as their head coach too.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1320123

Archived