Vegas Expansion Draft - UPDATE!

pilldoc

Just some info I found and would like to pass along ......

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/6/7/15740754/nhl-expansion-draft-guide-rules-protection-lists-vegas-2017-explainer

First of all, when is the expansion draft?

There's no formal draft event. There are just some important dates.

• Monday, June 12: the last day for teams to ask players with no-movement clauses to waive them.
  • Friday, June 16: Players have until 5 p.m. to waive their expansion draft protections if they qualify. More on that in a bit.
  • By 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017, all 30 NHL franchises are required to submit their list of protected players. The entire league will be under a roster freeze. No trades. No waivers. No nothing.
  • Sunday, June 18: Expansion protected lists are sent out to every team, and the Golden Knights get to interview players they might want to select.
  • By 10 a.m. ET on June 21, the Golden Knights must submit the list of players it has selected.
  • On June 21, the NHL will announce those selections at the NHL Awards.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the overall list of protected/unprotected players, courtesty of NHL.com:

https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-list-for-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722?tid=289242400

I tell ya what...expansion really HAS come a long way.  Just looking at the unprotected lists of all 30 NHL teams, the new Vegas franchise can really get themselves going in the right direction pretty quickly as there some real nice players to be had in that unprotected list.

Gone are the days when new expansion franchises were forced to fill their rosters with low end 3rd and 4th liners and goalies who were career backups or guys who never really belonged in the NHL in the first place.

Not saying the GK's won't struggle (hey, even established teams looking to become contenders again do that), but Vegas also shouldn't take 10-15 years to ice a competitive team either.

When you look closely at the unprotected and the salary cap, it's not as great as all that. I haven't looked at all 30 teams, but so far not hugely exciting. They'll do okay, but they'll be bottom feeders for a bit. 

Best players available for draft, IMO, from each team?

Here ya go:

Ducks--- Sami Vatenen (D), Josh Manson (D), Jonathan Bernier (G)

Coyotes-- Alex Burmistrov (F), Jared Tinordi (D)

Bruins-- Zac Rinaldo (hah! just kidding)... Drew Stafford (F), John Michael Liles (D), Adam McQuaid (D)

Sabres-- Zach Begosian (D), Justin Falk (D...no, not the Carolina one, the other J. Falk), Linus Ullmark (G)

Flames-- Troy Brouwer (F), Michael Kostka (D), Brian Elliot (G)

Hurricanes- Cam Ward (G), Lee Stempniak (F)

Blackhawks- Marcus Kruger (F), Trevor Van Riemsdyk (F), Johnny Oduya (D)

Avalanche- Calvin Pickard (G), Joe Colborne (F), Rene Bourque (F)

Blue Jackets- Sam Gagner (F), Jack Johnson (D), Kyle Quincy (D)

Stars-- Dan Hamhuis (D), Jiri Hudler (F), Cody Eakin (F)

Red Wings- Riley Sheahan (F), Jonathan Ericsson (D), Dylan McIlrath (D), Petr Mrazek (G)

Oilers-     Benoit Pouliot (F), Kris Russell (D), David Desharnais (F)

Panthers- Jonathan Marchassault (F), Jason Demers (D), Roberto Luongo (G)

Kings--   Dustin Brown (F), Kyle Clifford (F), Jeff Zatkoff (G)

Wild-- Marco Scandella (D), Matt Dumba (D), Eric Staal (F), Christian Folin (D)

Canadiens-  Al Montoya (G), Tomas Plekanec (F), Alex Radulov or Nikita Nesterov (F and D, respectively, AND if either is going to stay in North America...there are rumors both may head back to the KHL)

Predators-- James Neal (F), Craig Smith (F), Mike Fisher (F)

Devils-- Mike Cammalleri (F), Devante Smith-Pelley (F), Dalton Prout (D)

Islanders-  Brock Nelson (F), Cal Clutterbuck (F), Casey Cizikas (F), Calvin DeHaan (D), Ryan Strome (F)

Rangers-- Jesper Fast (F), Oscar Lindberg (F), Anttii Raanta (G)

Senators- Clarke MacArthur (F), Bobby Ryan (F), Marc Methot (D), Alex Burrows (F)

Flyers-  Michael Del Zotto (D), Matt Read (F), P.E. Bellemare (F)

Penguins- Nick Bonino (F), Carl Hagelin (F), Ian Cole (D), Marc Andre Fleury (G-possibly the class of the goalie selections), Bryan Rust (F)

Sharks-  Aaron Dell (G), David Schlemko (D), Joe Thornton (F), Joel Ward (F)

Blues-  Kyle Brodziak (F), David Perron (F), Robert Bortuzzo (D)

Lightning-- Yanni Gourde (F), Slater Koekkoek (D), Jake Dotchin (D..I HOPE he doesn't get taken...I like the way he plays!), JT Brown (F)

Maple Leafs- Brian Boyle (F), Roman Polak (D...yes, Cro-Magnon man would help a new team trying not to get pushed around), Brooks Laich (F)

Canucks-- Ryan Miller (G...oh gawd, HJ is gonna have a hockey-gasm!), Luca Sbisa (D), Drew Shore (F), Joseph Cramarossa (F)

Capitals--  Brett Connolly (F), TJ Oshie (F), Justin Williams (F), Karl Alzner (D), Kevin Shattenkirk (D..though I think he WON'T sign with the Knights as he is a UFA and I think wants to stay in the East).

Jets-- Ondrej Pavelec (G), Tobias Enstrom (D), Chris Thorburn (F).

As you can see, while these players obviously aren't elite by any stretch, they are still quite a few levels above what was available to expansion teams in the 90's and early 2000's!

Teams playing the Golden Knights best not expect a "gimme" game when they play them. The team should be at the very least, problematic, for most teams from Day 1, I think.

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26  ..WOW ...Great Job!  That must of took a lot of work.  Can you copy and paste this in the HF.net Expansion Mock thread?  I'm sure some will find it useful.  Again Great Job!

:ToastingSmiley:

:goodjob:

Ok, Doc.

Done.

Not sure how it may help the mock drafters, but at the very least, they may find it entertaining.  :bigteeth:

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ok, Doc.

Done.

Not sure how it may help the mock drafters, but at the very least, they may find it entertaining.  :bigteeth:

Its always nice to have a list handy IMO, however, I do realize that many of us are very knowledgeable posters and such a list is not always necessary.

EDIT ...sorry ..it should go under the Expansion Mock not the Draft Mock..

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Best players available for draft, IMO, from each team?

Here ya go:

Ducks--- Sami Vatenen (D), Josh Manson (D), Jonathan Bernier (G)

Coyotes-- Alex Burmistrov (F), Jared Tinordi (D)

Bruins-- Zac Rinaldo (hah! just kidding)... Drew Stafford (F), John Michael Liles (D), Adam McQuaid (D)

Sabres-- Zach Begosian (D), Justin Falk (D...no, not the Carolina one, the other J. Falk), Linus Ullmark (G)

Flames-- Troy Brouwer (F), Michael Kostka (D), Brian Elliot (G)

Hurricanes- Cam Ward (G), Lee Stempniak (F)

Blackhawks- Marcus Kruger (F), Trevor Van Riemsdyk (F), Johnny Oduya (D)

Avalanche- Calvin Pickard (G), Joe Colborne (F), Rene Bourque (F)

Blue Jackets- Sam Gagner (F), Jack Johnson (D), Kyle Quincy (D)

Stars-- Dan Hamhuis (D), Jiri Hudler (F), Cody Eakin (F)

Red Wings- Riley Sheahan (F), Jonathan Ericsson (D), Dylan McIlrath (D), Petr Mrazek (G)

Oilers-     Benoit Pouliot (F), Kris Russell (D), David Desharnais (F)

Panthers- Jonathan Marchassault (F), Jason Demers (D), Roberto Luongo (G)

Kings--   Dustin Brown (F), Kyle Clifford (F), Jeff Zatkoff (G)

Wild-- Marco Scandella (D), Matt Dumba (D), Eric Staal (F), Christian Folin (D)

Canadiens-  Al Montoya (G), Tomas Plekanec (F), Alex Radulov or Nikita Nesterov (F and D, respectively, AND if either is going to stay in North America...there are rumors both may head back to the KHL)

Predators-- James Neal (F), Craig Smith (F), Mike Fisher (F)

Devils-- Mike Cammalleri (F), Devante Smith-Pelley (F), Dalton Prout (D)

Islanders-  Brock Nelson (F), Cal Clutterbuck (F), Casey Cizikas (F), Calvin DeHaan (D), Ryan Strome (F)

Rangers-- Jesper Fast (F), Oscar Lindberg (F), Anttii Raanta (G)

Senators- Clarke MacArthur (F), Bobby Ryan (F), Marc Methot (D), Alex Burrows (F)

Flyers-  Michael Del Zotto (D), Matt Read (F), P.E. Bellemare (F)

Penguins- Nick Bonino (F), Carl Hagelin (F), Ian Cole (D), Marc Andre Fleury (G-possibly the class of the goalie selections), Bryan Rust (F)

Sharks-  Aaron Dell (G), David Schlemko (D), Joe Thornton (F), Joel Ward (F)

Blues-  Kyle Brodziak (F), David Perron (F), Robert Bortuzzo (D)

Lightning-- Yanni Gourde (F), Slater Koekkoek (D), Jake Dotchin (D..I HOPE he doesn't get taken...I like the way he plays!), JT Brown (F)

Maple Leafs- Brian Boyle (F), Roman Polak (D...yes, Cro-Magnon man would help a new team trying not to get pushed around), Brooks Laich (F)

Canucks-- Ryan Miller (G...oh gawd, HJ is gonna have a hockey-gasm!), Luca Sbisa (D), Drew Shore (F), Joseph Cramarossa (F)

Capitals--  Brett Connolly (F), TJ Oshie (F), Justin Williams (F), Karl Alzner (D), Kevin Shattenkirk (D..though I think he WON'T sign with the Knights as he is a UFA and I think wants to stay in the East).

Jets-- Ondrej Pavelec (G), Tobias Enstrom (D), Chris Thorburn (F).

As you can see, while these players obviously aren't elite by any stretch, they are still quite a few levels above what was available to expansion teams in the 90's and early 2000's!

Teams playing the Golden Knights best not expect a "gimme" game when they play them. The team should be at the very least, problematic, for most teams from Day 1, I think.

It would depend on how well coached the team is! It would be nice to see this team do well!

Any talk about team number 32?

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

not a lot of quality centers exposed to the Knights.

It is why the Flyers 2nd overall could be attractive to Vegas....just saying...not sure i'd do it...but i would listen to offers.....

My Expansion mock from http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

Group Name Team Pos Age UC17 
Goalies Malcolm Subban BOS G 23 Yes
Goalies Marc-Andre Fleury PIT G 32 Yes
Goalies Calvin Pickard COL G 25 Yes
Goalies Philipp Grubauer WSH G 25 Yes
Goalies Antti Raanta NYR G 28 Yes

Group Name Team Pos Age UC17 
Defense Josh Manson ANA D 25 Yes
Defense Trevor van Riemsdyk CHI D 25 Yes
Defense Brayden McNabb LAK D 26 Yes
Defense Matt Dumba MIN D 22 Yes
Defense Calvin de Haan NYI D 26 Yes