HF.net NHL Mock Draft 2017

pilldoc

15 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

@jammer2

Posting individual goal videos was a nice touch! 

That from-the-knee strike was great. Such control and skill. 

:toast:

Thanks. I was impressed watching it live, so when I did a google search of video on Ratcliffe, that goal against the Spits was listed 2nd, had to post it.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The St. Louis Blues 2017 Draft Edition:

When you constantly finish with greater than 100 points in a season as the Blues have done over the course of the last 5-6 seasons, you kind of get used to drafting near the bottom.  Again it is no different this year.  As a bonus this year, they get an extra pick in the First Round compliments of the Washington Capitals.  Beside their own pick at #20, they also received the Capitals #27 pick for trading Shattenkirk (D) to the Capitals near the trade dead line last season.

Like a reoccurring nightmare, the Expansion Draft must be taken in consideration when approaching this year’s draft.  It is no different in St. Louis. Let state the obvious, Jake Allen will be protected.  Period. End of story. Now that we have that out of the way let look at the rest of the team.  Many of the experts predict that the Blues will go the 8 skater / 1 goalie rout, however, I see the other option of 7-3-1 formula instead. So we have:

Defense: Pietrangelo (obvious) / Edmundson / Lindbohm. Colton Parayko is exempt.  Although Boumeester pairs well Pietrangelo, many believe he will be exposed but not taken because of his age and contract. Of course the Blues might very well protect him anyways.

Offense: The obvious are Tarasenko / Schwartz / Steen / Stasny.  Fabbri is exempt.

So depending on if they protect Pietrangelo or not, the Blues are down to 2 slots left to protect out of group of Berglund (UFA) / Perron / Lehtera / Yakupov and Reaves.

I believe they protect Lehtera / Peron / Yakupov.  At this point in his career I would consider Yakupov a bust.  However, the Blues might be willing to give him yet one more chance with a new coach for a full season. Therefore, I believe the drafting needs for the Blues are both help on the Blue Line and another consistent scorer to pair with Tarasenko.  Having 2 picks in the 1st Round this year gives the Blues a unique opportunity to draft for both need and BPA (best player available).

The Blues originally wanted Martin Necas (C), but due to some crafty drafting by the very studious GM from Winnipeg, that option is no longer valid.  However, the Blues did manage to have a solid back-up plan.  They are very happy that this Defenseman is still on the board.  Probably rated the 4 or 5 best Defenseman of the draft and rated just outside the top 10 of North American Skater at #11.

So without further ado, with the 20th Pick of the NHL 2017 Draft, the St. Louis Blues select from the Tri-City Americans (WHL)… Defenseman…

Juuso Valimaki

A product of the Finnish developmental system who has worked through the various junior leagues across the pond, he established himself as a 16-year-old as one of the best under-20 defenders in Finland. He came over to North America in the 2015 CHL Import Draft as a 17-year-old and seemed to adjust to the smaller North American ice rather quickly. He accumulated 32 points as a rookie in the Western Hockey League and nearly doubled his production to 61 points this season.

616145742.0.jpg

On many levels, Välimäki is a scout’s dream: he’s big and uses his size intelligently, not pulling himself out of position to make hits but not shying away from using physicality to help his team. He’s equal parts distributor and shooter, though he sometimes needs to pick his spots better as a shooter and relies on power play production for a lot of his offense. Moreover, Välimäki processes the game at a high level and isn’t often caught out of position, even when playing the opposition’s best players.

Scoring 61 points with Americans (19 G, 42 A), Valimaki has the ceiling of a strong puck-moving defender who can be the quarterback for your PP unit.  Put him alongside Colton Parayko and the Blues have the making of having a dangerous Power Play unit for years to come.  ISS lists him as an "Underrated offensive upside.”

Only five of Valimaki’s 19 goals and 22 of his assists this season came on the power play. That suggests that he was effective in creating offense at even strength and that his offensive numbers, particularly his goals, have not been greatly inflated by power play success.

Valimaki is a highly-skilled puck distributor who skates very well and loves to turn the tides with a quick-strike transition game. His puck skills and shot are both above average, and it should come as no surprise that his wheels, hands, size and vision makes him one of the favorites to be a mid-level 1st Round pick in June. He is capable of running a power play and will enter the zone with either speed or patience — he’s not a big fan of the dump and chase. If he chooses to throw the puck into the zone, it’ll be a subtle lob to make the defense turn their backs or a hard-around to prevent goalie interdiction. His defensive game is solid but he tends to wander from his own slot or get crossed up in coverage. His footwork is very good and he can close and seal-off in a hurry, plus his wingspan and active stick makes him difficult to dance around.

Valimakie is not the flashiest player, but he does a lot really good things out there. His hockey IQ is very high, and he almost always seems to make the right play with the puck on his stick. He has the poise to control the puck and quarterback the play from the line, as well as the passing skill and vision to find open teammates on the powerplay.

“I think his offensive game has really come along this year. He’s got a fair number of goals and he’s pushing the game offensively more than he did last year. . This year he’s been more assertive and he’s trying to dictate the game more.” – John Williams, NHL Central Scouting.

“Valimaki has better than average size, skating, skill and is one of the older players in the 2017 draft class.  Valimaki will excel at the NHL with his speed and ability to carry the puck up ice as well as make exceptional outlet passes. His skating is an asset and in conjunction with his size he plays the prototypical modern day NHL style of game.” – Peter Harling, Dobber Prospects.

Valimaki has the potential to be a top pairing defender who can play big minutes and be used in all situations, be it PK or PP units.

Strengths:

•Good hockey sense.

•Good vision, effective distributor of the puck.

•Strong skater.

•Uses his size fairly well.

Under Construction (Improvements to Make):

•Needs to improve his shot accuracy (and power).

•Needs to continue to develop his defensive tendencies.

Valimaki is on the older end of this draft with a late 1998 birthday. He’ll turn 19 in October and that means he’ll only need to play one more season in the WHL before being eligible to start full-time in the AHL.

His style of play is similar to that of retired Defenseman, Kimmo Timonen.

The Blues can't be happier with the choice.

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

oops...almost forgot....

@WingNut722, you and the Rangers are now on the clock! :)

Oy, this is lousy timing.  I have a write up for this, but it's on the office computer and I had to take today off.  I won't be able to get this posted until tomorrow morning....  If we need to keep this moving I can certainly try to scratch off something.

1 minute ago, WingNut722 said:

Oy, this is lousy timing.  I have a write up for this, but it's on the office computer and I had to take today off.  I won't be able to get this posted until tomorrow morning....  If we need to keep this moving I can certainly try to scratch off something.

Maybe just make your pick with a few sentences and edit the post with your write-up tomorrow ??

7 minutes ago, WingNut722 said:

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Maybe just make your pick with a few sentences and edit the post with your write-up tomorrow ??

yup ..totally agree with @hf101 ...just make your pick today ... and post the rest tomorrow.  No worries..all is good :)

@hf101

@pilldoc

Oh all right, but it won't be NEARLY as much fun...   :hocky:

Well, the New York Rangers...blah blah blah.... defense and offense...yadda yadda yadda...Ottawa Senators...etc. etc. etc......salary cap......

Spoiler alert....they pick:

Urho Vaakanainen

Defensemen

Finland JYP

urho_vaakanainen_jyp-2.jpg

As mentioned, I have additional notes which will be posted tomorrow, but suffice it to say I PROMISE I selected him based on more than just the excessive amount of vowels in his name.  And also, that fact that that my daughter knocked over the box of Alpha-Bits yesterday morning while I was looking over the prospect lists had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And now, @FD19372, will you and the Edmonton Oilers please put me out of my misery...? :whiteflag:

UPDATE - Friday June 16 (As Promised)

The New York Rangers have consistently been enjoying some success of late, qualifying for the postseason for seven consecutive seasons and 11 of the past 12.  Owing to a core group of scorers and the unwavering talent of Henrik Lundqvist.  This success and potential has translated into considerable power for the Rangers’ front office, and with it, high-caliber free agents such as Rick Nash and Martin St. Louis looking for their best chance at winning the Stanley Cup.  This most recent season, new GM Jeff Gorton made a splash by cleaning house, with no fewer than 11 players looking for new apartments in the Big Apple or elsewhere

However, continued appearances in the post-season do not guarantee that elusive ring, and the Blueshirts found themselves on the outside looking in, losing to the Ottawa Senators in the Conference Semi-Finals.  And yet, the Rangers keep searching.  The Rangers have many strengths to boast, and it seems deceptively simple, although the most frustrating, to simply find that one piece to bring it all together.  For one, being able to roll four effective offensive lines is a rare commodity in today’s NHL, and yet the Rangers do it with speed and finesse, showing an evolution away from the team’s recent reputation of gritty enforcers. 

Financially, the Rangers find themselves in a comfortable position with respect to the salary cap, with $9 million in flexibility.  A few key questions arise though, with six restricted free agents to be dealt with, and whether or not defenseman Brendan Smith, acquired at the trade deadline from the Red Wings will be re-signed.  Smith, for his part, has said he enjoyed playing with the Rangers, and as long as a fair deal is reached, he would have no problem wearing Broadway Blue again.  That deal though, would need to be long term, and likely run upwards of $4 million per year.  Although with the recent announcement that Dan Girardi, and his hefty contract are going to be bought out, it seems almost certain that Smith will return. 

Similar to the Red Wings, though less desperately so, the Rangers can use some additional talent on the back end.  They finished the regular season 4th in the League in Goals For, but mediocre 18th in Goals Allowed.  Meanwhile the reign of King Henrik is far from over, posting .927 save percentage and 2.25 goals against average in 12 playoff games.  Still, the Rangers are confident that young prospect Igor Shestyorkin, is a worthy heir to the throne. 

With such a gross scoring talent on the ice, the best way to explain the Rangers 4th place finish in the Metropolitan division is simply that the Rangers were not able to score more goals than they allowed the other team.  That points to the defense.  Defensive talent is as good as gold in the NHL today and even with a new contract with Smith, the Rangers need help on the blueline.  Unsurprisingly, strong hockey sense, and dynamic puck skills will be the stock in trade.   

With the 21st overall pick in the 2017 HF.net NHL Mock Draft, the New York Rangers and GM Jeff winGortonut, select, from SM - Liga Blues:

Urho Vaakanainen

Defense

Ht: 6’1” Wt: 185 lbs.

From hockeywriters.com:

Urho Vaakanainen is a classic stay-at-home defenseman that has the uncanny knack to anticipate a transitional rush heading into his own zone. He seems more polished in front of the net than his peers, and is often described as playing beyond his years of experience. Vaakanainen is patient and rarely allows a streaking forward a clear path to the goal. Plus, he disrupts the passing lane, and smart enough to use the boards when clearing the puck out of the zone. These attributes make him the ideal candidate to preserve a one-goal lead late in games.

Surprisingly, he’s an excellent puck mover which makes him a viable candidate to lead the rush on the power play. His passing skills are pinpoint accurate, so it isn’t out of the ordinary to see Vaakanainen hit a streaking teammate on the tape with a quick pass for an easy goal.

Strengths

• Great On-Ice Vision
  • Solid Puck Handling
  • Excellent Penalty-Killer
  • Very Mobile Skater
  • Fluid Strides

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Needs to Become More of a Playmaker
  • Improve Shooting Skills
  • Lack of Experience

NHL Potential

Recent draft speculation has Vaakanainen being selected from the 15th overall pick to the end of the first round. Playing two seasons in Finland’s top league has shown that he’s ready to compete at the NHL level. However, Vaakanainen cannot turn around the fortunes of a struggling franchise by himself, but if surrounded by other rising young stars then you’ll see a sharp improvement in the standings.

It would be smart for the team that selects Vaakanainen to leave in Europe for the next two seasons, and allow him to add muscle to his slender body frame. Plus, this move helps to develop his overall game and make him a more viable top-four defenceman candidate.

1 minute ago, WingNut722 said:

As mentioned, I have additional notes which will be posted tomorrow, but suffice it to say I PROMISE I selected him based on more than just the excessive amount of vowels in his name.  And also, that fact that that my daughter knocked over the box of Alpha-Bits yesterday morning while I was looking over the prospect lists had absolutely nothing to do with it

"wheel of fortune playing in background" .....

Pat...I would like to buy an "A" please! ;)

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

"Yes, there are 14 A's!  Vanna's gonna be busy for a while so let's go to commercial...!"

With the 22nd pick in the 2017 NHL draft, the Edmonton Oilers proudly select 

Nic Hague, defenseman, Missausauga Steelheads, (OHL)

Hague is described as a big, good skater at 6' 6", 220 lbs. and has the ability to be a really good all-around 2nd or 3rd NHL defenseman. Over the past season, Hague has really improved his offensive game. He has one of the best and hardest shots in this year's draft. He is a good package of size, skating and terrific offensive ability. He ended this past regular season with 18 goals and 46 points in 65 games with Mississauga. He also had 11 points in 13 playoff games. He uses good positioning and a long, active stick to cut down shooting lanes for his opponent. The one area where many scouts say he needs some work is going up against smaller, quick forwards.

Here are what a few writers have to say about Hague:

“Hague should be the first defenceman taken from the OHL, he has a tremendous package of size, skating and offensive ability. His performance this season has not been as dominant as I had predicted but big defencemen sometimes develop a little slower. The point is he has developed this year and his ceiling is very high. To acquire defencemen of his abilities in the NHL you have to draft them so look for Hague to go off the board early in the first round.” –Peter Harling, Dobber Prospects

“I’m sure many will focus on his size and projection as a shut down type of defender. But I’d rather talk about the interesting progression of his offensive game. He’s not your prototypical offensive defender. He’s not a particularly dynamic player off the rush and I don’t think he’s got a natural feel as a puck carrier/distributor. But, he uses his size exceptionally well in the offensive end. Consistently pinches in deep to keep pucks in, and actually plays a lot below the hash marks, using his size to work the cycle. He’s smart about it though and doesn’t get caught up ice all that much. Then there’s the big point shot. He does a great job of finding scoring lanes and he actually does a good job of using different releases to get it through to the net. I don’t know how much that will translate to the next level, but the improvements and confidence in his ability to make things happen in the offensive end is worth noting.” – Brock Otten, OHL Prospects

Strengths: - Size and reach, moving the puck, skating for someone his size

Weaknesses: - Ability to play in tight spaces, his physicality

His game has similar characteristics to Tyler Myers of the Winnipeg Jets. 

Nicolas-Hague.jpg

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

maybe he can sell a vowel to Martin Frk lol

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Maybe if Frk gets traded to the Flyers, they add an I. Then, when he struggles, fans can chant "What the Frik??!!"

I'm sure Wings fans have already said that and more about Mr Frk!

With the 22nd pick in the Hockey forums 2017 NHL Mock Draft, the Arizona Coyotes are pleased to select Kailer Yamamoto, Right Wing, Spokane Chiefs.

Having gone defense with their first pick, Arizona takes a value forward here. Though undersized, Yamamoto brings explosive skating and excellent offensive awareness to a still-young forward core. 

Height: 5' 7.5"

Weight: 160 lbs

Shots: Right

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/kailer-yamamoto/

A pint-sized, yet dynamic, playmaker… small, speedy forward with excellent hockey sense and quick hands…has a strong work ethic that keeps him going…great overall quickness, first-step jump to create separation and an ability to alter speeds to create gaps…sneaky and stealth-like in finding prime scoring ice…very creative with the puck and shows off creative hands…uses his size to squeak through the tightest of holes…is a force in possession as he likes the puck on his stick, and is dangerous as a set-up man or shooter in the offensive zone…poised, clutch and aware…feisty on the forecheck, not physically, but uses his speed to force opponents into rushed plays while clogging up passing lanes with an active stick…one of those rare wingers who has the ability to affect the flow of a game like a center…a very special talent, high octane and cerebral.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/kailer-yamamoto/

Yamamoto is a very small, very highly skilled prospect. What bodes well for Yamamoto besides his elite skill is his high compete level, willingness to play a physical game despite his size and that he has good hockey strength. He is very solid on his skates and can be difficult to push off the puck or knock down. He is very agile and elusive and can find holes and seams in defensive coverage that don’t seem to be available. His shot is deceptive in its release as it is quick, requires little wind up. His greatest asset is his offensive vision and hockey IQ, he sees the ice at an elite level, has eyes in the back of his head and thinks the game at a higher pace.

The Columbus Blue Jackets and @yave1964 are now on the clock.

30 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

With the 22nd pick in the Hockey forums 2017 NHL Mock Draft, the Arizona Coyotes are pleased to select Kailer Yamamoto, Right Wing, Spokane Chiefs.

Having gone defense with their first pick, Arizona takes a value forward here. Though undersized, Yamamoto brings explosive skating and excellent offensive awareness to a still-young forward core. 

Height: 5' 7.5"

Weight: 160 lbs

Shots: Right

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/kailer-yamamoto/

A pint-sized, yet dynamic, playmaker… small, speedy forward with excellent hockey sense and quick hands…has a strong work ethic that keeps him going…great overall quickness, first-step jump to create separation and an ability to alter speeds to create gaps…sneaky and stealth-like in finding prime scoring ice…very creative with the puck and shows off creative hands…uses his size to squeak through the tightest of holes…is a force in possession as he likes the puck on his stick, and is dangerous as a set-up man or shooter in the offensive zone…poised, clutch and aware…feisty on the forecheck, not physically, but uses his speed to force opponents into rushed plays while clogging up passing lanes with an active stick…one of those rare wingers who has the ability to affect the flow of a game like a center…a very special talent, high octane and cerebral.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/kailer-yamamoto/

Yamamoto is a very small, very highly skilled prospect. What bodes well for Yamamoto besides his elite skill is his high compete level, willingness to play a physical game despite his size and that he has good hockey strength. He is very solid on his skates and can be difficult to push off the puck or knock down. He is very agile and elusive and can find holes and seams in defensive coverage that don’t seem to be available. His shot is deceptive in its release as it is quick, requires little wind up. His greatest asset is his offensive vision and hockey IQ, he sees the ice at an elite level, has eyes in the back of his head and thinks the game at a higher pace.

The Columbus Blue Jackets and @yave1964 are now on the clock.

He was my pick for the Habs. Hope he slips down to 25 in real life!!!

59 minutes ago, habsguy26 said:

He was my pick for the Blues at #27.  Was hoping he would keep slipping, but it was wishful thinking ......

58 minutes ago, habsguy26 said:

Doesn't look like he will. The size thing could cause it to happen for sure, but everything I'm reading suggests he doesn't get to 25. Lots of folks having him in that 18-22 range though. You need a few "Boston" picks in there to make him slip to 25, lol

The CBJ are next, and I studied their roster looking down the road and trying to decide what the need will be a few years from now as there are no players who look to be ready now or near ready left at this point.

I dismissed goalie entirely with Bob/Korpisalo/forsberg as a fantastic trio. On defense they have Seth Jones, Gabriel Carlson, Zach Werenski, David Savard and more. I debated on Erik Brannstrom  a smallish defenseman who is possibly the best player available left but decided that their youth and depth at the position made me pass on him.

They need centers desperately and had been eyeballing Ryan Poehling but he is gone. I finally decided upon:

With the 24th  pick in the draft, the Columbus Bluejackets choose: ROBERT THOMAS CENTER LONDON KNIGHTS

Studying his numbers I see a middle six center probably a 2C, his faceoff numbers were solid and he reminds a lot of scouts of a Bo Horvat which would be outstanding as in a few years Dubinsky will need replaced (but dont tell my wife, he is her favorite player) and I believe this kid will have a solid career in Columbus weakest position. So there ya go.

So at this point the Gentleman (using the term loosely) from the great State of Ohio yields the floor to @habsguy26 as the Montreal Canadiens are now on the clock.

12 hours ago, WingNut722 said:

@hf101

@pilldoc

Oh all right, but it won't be NEARLY as much fun...   :hocky:

Well, the New York Rangers...blah blah blah.... defense and offense...yadda yadda yadda...Ottawa Senators...etc. etc. etc......salary cap......

Spoiler alert....they pick:

Urho Vaakanainen

Defensemen

Finland JYP

urho_vaakanainen_jyp-2.jpg

As mentioned, I have additional notes which will be posted tomorrow, but suffice it to say I PROMISE I selected him based on more than just the excessive amount of vowels in his name.  And also, that fact that that my daughter knocked over the box of Alpha-Bits yesterday morning while I was looking over the prospect lists had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And now, @FD19372, will you and the Edmonton Oilers please put me out of my misery...? :whiteflag:

"I PROMISE I selected him based on more than just the excessive amount of vowels in his name"--:lol:

Urho Vaakanainen's jersey has him looking like he got crossed up with a NASCAR driver. 

@FD19372 and @pilldoc:

I think this guy could be a good pick for the Oilers, for any team, 

but does Edmonton need to go defense first in the draft? or could it be

better for them to draft a center or forward to beef up their secondary scoring? 

It's my understanding that the latter's a major issue too. 

I'm not that knowledgeable about the Oils. Though I am curious about them 

because I don't think they're far from a Cup finals. Your takes, arguments, feedback? 

:cheers:

8 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

@FD19372 and @pilldoc:

I think this guy could be a good pick for the Oilers, for any team, 

but does Edmonton need to go defense first in the draft? or could it be

better for them to draft a center or forward to beef up their secondary scoring? 

It's my understanding that the latter's a major issue too. 

I'm not that knowledgeable about the Oils. Though I am curious about them 

because I don't think they're far from a Cup finals. Your takes, arguments, feedback? 

:cheers:

Edmonton should have beaten Anaheim, IMHO. What I think the difference really boiled down to was that the Ducks had a bit more sandpaper and toughness in their lineup, not just more experience. Lucic was a good start to provide that up front, but they need more of it. My point is, they need additional size and physicality on the blueline. Hague won't provide that element yet, but with his size and strength he is someone who very well might be capable of filling part of that role in a few years. 

Archived