HF.net NHL Mock Draft 2017

pilldoc

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you @yave1964 and Cheers to all who have 

drafted before & have yet to go. :toast:

[Draft Day announcer]: Reports are in that Luc Robitaille has quieted down from 

both startling bilingual swearing over Suzuki getting taken early and from his delighted squealing that the following prospect remained available until now:

With the eleventh overall pick in the 2017 NHL Draft--Hockey Forums Dot Net Style, baby!--the Los Angeles Kings select 

! CASEY MITTELSTADT ! 

Collage of Casey Mittelstadt

:rockin: :goodjob: *and the crowd goes wild* :goodjob: :dancing: 

[One Draft Day expert (Bill)]: Wow! What a score--no judgmental pun intended--for the Kings! But is that guy out of junior high yet? 

[Another Draft Day expert (Suzy)]: Indeed it is and yes he is, Bill! 

Bill: Of course. Well the talk around King Town has been the need for 

goals and speed. 

Suzy: Yes it has. In fact some snarky King fans and King rivals have 

resorted to wearing LA Scoring--Have You Seen Me? t-shirts. 

Bill: Well the Kings' faithful will be excited to see this assessment from 

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects then: 

An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level.

Suzy: Yes indeed that sounds promising! Especially given folks in Kingville are talking about another Cup run now. It's too much to expect Mittelstadt to solve all LA scoring woes--we've got to see how things go with the new focused-offense approach promised by John Stevens. And core King people like Captain Kopitar need to rebound from a slump season--but he's the kind of player who could help make this team consistently dangerous on the attack. 

Bill: Yeah we already know LA can knock people around and get physical. And it appears that Casey has the competitiveness to fit in well with the current squad. But winning the physical battle doesn't mean much when other teams are out-skating and outscoring you. The Kings don't need more size, or more defense first, or even more goal-tending given Jonathan Quick often turns into... The Ghost of Patrick Roy ...when the team makes the playoffs. 

Suzy: Well I partially agree with your enthusiastic take on Quick, while fully agreeing with that nice ghostly intonation you did there. 

Bill: Thank you. I worked on that extensively yesterday. 

Suzy: It shows. 

Bill: Suzy, do we have some video footage we can show people of this talented kid? 

Suzy: Why yes we do. Here goes: 

Suzy: Remember too as we watch and consider this draftee that he can 

play both center and left wing. That could be perfect for the Kings as they 

work out their offensive kinks. Falling short at center? Call on Casey. Your 

left wing production getting lackluster? Casey can help there also. 

Bill: Good point, Sooz. And given his skill set and sparkling offensive potential,

it probably wouldn't be too much a stretch if the Kings needed him at right wing 

every now and again. Any current concerns about Casey Mittelstadt? Any possible

chinks in his hockey armor?  

Suzy: Yes. Strength. He needs more upper-body power and more time in the gym. 

But you can be sure the LA Kings will have him ready--will need to have him ready 

that way--when they call on him to help their upcoming quest for another Cup. Mittelstadt may be able to outmaneuver and out-think bigger players, but the Kings can ill-afford to risk a hit causing injury where it might not otherwise just because necessary physical preparation wasn't handled beforehand. 

Draft Day Announcer (Clark): Well that's all from the Los Angeles Kings :kings: side of things. Ladies and gents, please direct your attention now to our very own 

@AJgoal :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys: who will be picking for Carolina :hurricanes:

44 minutes ago, WingNut722 said:

@pilldoc

@Podein25

@AJgoal

@yave1964

As general manager of the Detroit Red WingNuts, I must protest this ridicule against our new star defenseman!  Since Johan "The Mule" Franzen has been laid up, it's been several years since we had a dimwitted mammal for a mascot!

Well played my friend ....:toast:

30 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

[Draft Day announcer]: Reports are in that Luc Robitaille has quieted down from 

both startling bilingual swearing over Suzuki getting taken early

LOL ..pure genius!  LOL .... "bilingual swearing" ..:hehe: ..I still can't stop laughing!  You are gonna fit in just fine here with the rest of us nut jobs! :)

35 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

[One Draft Day expert (Bill)]: Wow! What a score--no judgmental pun intended--for the Kings! But is that guy out of junior high yet? 

[Another Draft Day expert (Suzy)]: Indeed it is and yes he is, Bill! 

Bill: Of course. Well the talk around King Town has been the need for 

goals and speed. 

Suzy: Yes it has. In fact some snarky King fans and King rivals have 

resorted to wearing LA Scoring: Have You Seen Me? t-shirts. 

Bill: Well the Kings' faithful will be excited to see this assessment from 

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects then: 

And it keeps betting better .... this is awesome! 

@thenewestlights  that by far was the most entertaining post I have ever read!

totally agree with @WingNut722 :PostAwardsm:

Good god, you guys are having too much fun. Let's fix that.

With the twelfth pick in the 2017 Hockeyweirdos' NHL mock draft, the Carolina Hurricanes are proud to select Cody Glass, Center, Portland Winterhawks.

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 178 lbs

Shoots: R

Bursting with one of the most talented young blue lines in hockey, Carolina is ecstatic that Glass falls this far. He provides them with a real blue-chip center prospect to add some size down the center. While he needs to fill out, his frame can support it, and his genetics say that he could possibly still grow an inch or so. I have Glass as my #3 forward, and was wondering if he could have fallen to the Flyers at 13 had they not won the #2 overall. So I'm pretty excited to have him available here, though I would not be excited to have him in the division for the next 10+ years.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201704

A dangerous two-way center that thinks the game at a high level, never making the same mistake twice. He is analytical and patient in the development of his strengths. He transitions up-ice quickly and is able to create and dictate offensive chances on the rush. He attacks hard and fast and consistently displays excellent puck control. His decision making is very good, indicative of his high level of hockey sense. He plays a complete game and elevates his play as energy levels rise. At the next level, he will need to be even faster and more physically assertive to make his presence felt. All-in-all, an intense, quick-thinking competitor that can elicit a crowd's excitement when he's on the ice.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/cody-glass/

Perhaps one of the most underrated or undervalued prospects in the 2017 draft class. Glass has good size, and can impact the game both offensively and defensively. Glass has had a breakout season in his draft year more than tripling his offensive production and assuming the role of first line center for the Portland Winterhawks. Glass had a strong showing at the Top Prospects Game in Quebec, but has no international experience for Canada and is relatively unknown outside the WHL as a result. He has seen marked improvements in his skating and strength adding about ten pounds this season. Glass thinks the game fast, has a high hockey IQ and has great vision combined with soft hands and excellent puck skills. His compete level is elite and the main development opportunity for Glass is to continue to add strength and mass to his projectable 6-2 frame. Don’t be surprised to see Glass selected in the top ten of the 2017 NHL draft. If he goes later than that we could look back on this draft and say what a steal.

@jammer2 and The Winnipeg Jets are on the clock.

Just now, pilldoc said:

Actually, and AJ, you did not know this, but @jammer2 has graciously given @Podein25 the chance to pick for the Jets.

@Podein25 you, the Jets, and your fellow sheep are now on the clock!

I was going to say that... guy... was on the clock, but then I looked at the order.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

LOL ..pure genius!  LOL .... "bilingual swearing" ..:hehe: ..I still can't stop laughing!  You are gonna fit in just fine here with the rest of us nut jobs! :)

And it keeps betting better .... this is awesome! 

@thenewestlights  that by far was the most entertaining post I have ever read!

totally agree with @WingNut722 :PostAwardsm:

Cheers, Doc. :)

I was trepidatious about participating in this mock draft, 

in part due to no personal prospect knowledge until the 

other night, & in part because so many site members 

are so knowledgeable and insightful, but I'm glad that

@hf101 encouraged me to dive in. 

It's been a ton of fun; there've already been multiple 

quality posts--and we're just getting started! 

Participating in this process has me pumped not only for 

my team but for watching next season with a richer perspective. :bluehockey: :cointoss:

@AJgoal 

"Good god, you guys are having too much fun." 

<--I blame the advent of the aardvark(s). :bigteeth:  

"With the twelfth pick in the 2017 Hockeyweirdos' NHL mock draft . . ." 

<--:lol:

I confess :blushing: what may already be obvious: Your post did not derail for me 

the fun that we've been having. Hope that's cool. :cool[1]: ;) :) 

10 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

Cheers, Doc. :)

I was trepidatious about participating in this mock draft, 

in part due to no personal prospect knowledge until the 

other night, & in part because so many site members 

are so knowledgeable and insightful, but I'm glad that

@hf101 encouraged me to dive in. 

It's been a ton of fun; there've already been multiple 

quality posts--and we're just getting started! 

Participating in this process has me pumped not only for 

my team but for watching next season with a richer perspective. :bluehockey: :cointoss:

Just wait until the season starts .... :VeryCool: Then it really gets fun around here.  Especially in game chat!

I'm glad you participated too ....and we are definitely glad you here!   :cheers:

With the lucky 13th pick in the 2017 Hockey Forums Dot Net NHL Draft, the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select, from the Czech elite league, Center Martin Necas of the Czech Republic

HEIGHT  6'1" 

WEIGHT 168 lbs

SHOOTS: R

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=237071

Scouting Report

A fast, skilled, dynamic forward with great offensive upside. Carries the puck with confidence and likes to attack defenders with speed. Great skater with excellent edge work, is able to accelerate with sharp cuts. Plays the game at full throttle, making creative and imaginative plays at a high tempo. Runs the PP from the half-wall, making deft little plays and slick feeds. Exhibits tremendous hockey IQ and has leadership skills to boot. Needs to add some size and strength as he is extremely lean at the moment. 

Tampa Bay and @jammer2 are on the clock.

Moving along nicely now with some great picks. I don't think Mittelstadt or Glass will last beyond 7 in the real draft, but they're super picks at this spot in our mock! 

I doubt it happens, but if we somehow make it to 30th this evening, my pick for the Preds will have to wait as I'll be at the Iron Maiden show tonight. Will pick first think tomorrow morning if that's the case.

28 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

my pick for the Preds will have to wait as I'll be at the Iron Maiden show tonight

Expect a message from @J0e Th0rnton!  He absolutely loves Maiden.  We expect a full report of the show first thing in the morning!  :smileyandcomputer:

Have fun and enjoy the show!

PS ..for the record, I doubt we get to the Preds tonight so I think you are safe :)

@Honest Bender

Hope you have fun at the Maiden show! 

To no one in particular: A quality image of a 

hockey-playing Eddie would make my day. :D 

A search or creation could be in order if one 

doesn't already exist... :anidea:

@Podein25: Attaboy indeed! :) 

@pilldoc: :crazysmile: Iron Maiden rules...! :rock: 

Bo knows football and baseball. J0e knows 

Hockey and Metal! @J0e Th0rnton 

10 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

To no one in particular: A quality image of a