SCF

30 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

This was a well played series by both teams! It look like Nashville will have a very strong future! Best of luck to you in 2018 and beyond! 

Great series indeed.

I wonder about the Predators future though, IMHO they caught lightning in a bottle and won the West while the West is in a bit of a down cycle. The Kings have faded, the Ducks choked, the Hawks are slipping, the Sharks fell victim the a cup hangover. They Predators this season kind of reminded me of the 98 Capitals or the 2006 Oilers, maybe even the Rangers from a few years ago when they lost to the Kings. someone had to win the conference and it might as well have been them.

Things that concern me for Nashville are:

1)The cup hangover. Losing teams in the cup final with VERY few exceptions have any luck the following year.

2)Rinne was down this year and appears to be slipping. Yes he had a fine postseason but the regular season he was very human.

3) Subban may have an ego attack after his first cup appearance and implode the locker room. He was known as a cancer in Montreal and was on his best behavior in Nashville this season but it truly might not last.

4) they were the lowest seed (16) to ever reach the cup finals.

So seriously, it is good to see Hockey suddenly pop up on the map in Nashville but I would not bet on them returning next year. There are a half a dozen teams out West that i would bet on before I picked them.

@yave1964

I dunno man, their top for defensemen are about as good as it gets, as long as those guys are around I wouldn't bet against them.

I do think Laviolette's style wears teams out, he wants pressure everywhere and his style works wonders when guys buy in, but it comes with a price with injury and fatigue.  I think this team can be in the conversation in the West for the short-term, a couple of 3 years....at least.

They play fast and aggressively,  they possess the puck when they enter the offensive zone, they have a lot of guys with very good hands.

For me it wasn't just that this team won, it was the way they eviscerated teams,  who has beaten the hell out of Chicago like that in the last 6 years ?  they were the best team in that conference by a wide margin and I thought outplayed the Pens in 5 of the 6 games I watched but didn't get the result a few too many times. I don't think anyone should discount this group in the near term.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@yave1964

I dunno man, their top for defensemen are about as good as it gets, as long as those guys are around I wouldn't bet against them.

I think this is their strength AND weakness.  Their third pairing gets < 10 minutes a game, and that's got to wear on the top four during the season.  And if one of them is injured, as can happen in long playoff runs, I think that puts them in a deep hole.   I'd need to look to see their prospect depth at defense, but I think that is where they need to look to improve their team. 

Archived