The Inevitable Comparison: Pens/Crosby/Malkin v. Hawks/Kane/Toews

B21

We’re now 10-12 years into the “Crosby/Malkin/Kane/Toews” era with Crosby having entered the league in 2005, Malkin in 2006 and Kane/Toews in 2007. During that time the Pens and Hawks have won 6 of 12 Stanley Cups (the Kings have 2 but have missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and haven’t won a series since they won the Cup in 2013-14). Now that the Pens have matched the Hawks’ 3 Cups during that time the inevitable comparisons will begin as far as which team/tandem has been better during that stretch. For me, it’s a toss up.  You could easily make a case for either.  It’s so close it’s scary. Sadly, these teams have never met in the post season during this time. Here’s hoping….

Crosby/Malkin/Pens

12 Seasons (Crosby) & 11 Seasons (Malkin) –  the Pens missed the playoffs in Crosby’s rookie year…

11 Playoff Appearances

5 Conference Finals

4 Stanley Cup Finals

3 Stanley Cups

4 First Round Exits (Includes 2010-11) when Crosby and Malkin were both hurt and DNP…

27 Total Playoff Series

3 Conn Smythes (2 for Crosby and 1 for Malkin)

Kane/Toews/Hawks

10 Seasons

9 Playoff Appearances

5 Conference Finals

3 Stanley Cup Finals

3 Stanley Cups

4 First Round Exits

22 Total Playoff Series

2 Conn Smythes (1 each)

You really have to split hairs to make a choice i/m/h/o. Hawks are either Conference Finals or bust having never lost a second round series they made it to. That explains the 27-22 edge for the Pens in that category. First round exits are equal though neither Malkin nor Crosby played in 2011 when the Bolts came back from 3-1 down. The Pens have an extra SCF appearance under their belt but had an extra season (2 for Crosby) in which to do it.

Still makes for a fun discussion/debate…

44 minutes ago, B21 said:

We’re now 10-12 years into the “Crosby/Malkin/Kane/Toews” era with Crosby having entered the league in 2005, Malkin in 2006 and Kane/Toews in 2007. During that time the Pens and Hawks have won 6 of 12 Stanley Cups (the Kings have 2 but have missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and haven’t won a series since they won the Cup in 2013-14). Now that the Pens have matched the Hawks’ 3 Cups during that time the inevitable comparisons will begin as far as which team/tandem has been better during that stretch. For me, it’s a toss up.  You could easily make a case for either.  It’s so close it’s scary. Sadly, these teams have never met in the post season during this time. Here’s hoping….

Crosby/Malkin/Pens

12 Seasons (Crosby) & 11 Seasons (Malkin) –  the Pens missed the playoffs in Crosby’s rookie year…

11 Playoff Appearances

5 Conference Finals

4 Stanley Cup Finals

3 Stanley Cups

4 First Round Exits (Includes 2010-11) when Crosby and Malkin were both hurt and DNP…

27 Total Playoff Series

3 Conn Smythes (2 for Crosby and 1 for Malkin)

Kane/Toews/Hawks

10 Seasons

9 Playoff Appearances

5 Conference Finals

3 Stanley Cup Finals

3 Stanley Cups

4 First Round Exits

22 Total Playoff Series

2 Conn Smythes (1 each)

You really have to split hairs to make a choice i/m/h/o. Hawks are either Conference Finals or bust having never lost a second round series they made it to. That explains the 27-22 edge for the Pens in that category. First round exits are equal though neither Malkin nor Crosby played in 2011 when the Bolts came back from 3-1 down. The Pens have an extra SCF appearance under their belt but had an extra season (2 for Crosby) in which to do it.

Still makes for a fun discussion/debate…

Even though, it's hard to make a choice on either team, another monkey wrench to throw into the debate is the quality of the competition for each team to face to get to the cup finals and win. A lot of fans would say that the Western Conference is more difficult to get out of to reach the finals than the East, that's why I say the only way fans can determine who is a better dynasty is for these two teams to play in a Stanley Cup final (come on Bettman, work your magic :) )

6 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Even though, it's hard to make a choice on either team, another monkey wrench to throw into the debate is the quality of the competition for each team to face to get to the cup finals and win. A lot of fans would say that the Western Conference is more difficult to get out of to reach the finals than the East, that's why I say the only way fans can determine who is a better dynasty is for these two teams to play in a Stanley Cup final (come on Bettman, work your magic :) )

I was hoping for that this year! 

Ok let's do it for 2017/18!

20 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I wouldn't bet on a head to head....at least not next year. I just think the Pens will be too gassed. I could see them getting in again as a 3-6 seed and going out after a round or two.  It's not like there has been a lot of turnover either. It's basically the same squad going the distance each year.  The Hawks have exited in the 1st round each of those years. That's a lot less games played.

I did find some more interesting numbers from an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. In the last 10 years (basically since Crosby's 3rd year, Malkin's 2nd year and Kane/Toews rookie year) the Pens lead the NHL in....

Playoff Games - 152 (Chicago 2nd with 124)

Playoff Wins - 90 (Chicago 2nd with 76)

Archived