Marc Andre Fleury waives NMC

yave1964

Literally just a few moments ago, MA Fleury just waived his no movement clause and will be either exposed to Vegas or dealt before the expansion draft.

class move by the flower with the Pens in a pinch with Murray clearly being the number one goalie in town and the risk being that the Penguins would either risk losing him or if not they would have to give up someone that they did not want to lose and/or draft picks to the Knights to keep them from taking Murray. A potential ugly situation is officially now moot. Classy, just like the flower handing the cup to Murray. 

Of course it is possible that Fleury is not taken. Possible but not likely.

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Literally just a few moments ago, MA Fleury just waived his no movement clause and will be either exposed to Vegas or dealt before the expansion draft.

class move by the flower with the Pens in a pinch with Murray clearly being the number one goalie in town and the risk being that the Penguins would either risk losing him or if not they would have to give up someone that they did not want to lose and/or draft picks to the Knights to keep them from taking Murray. A potential ugly situation is officially now moot. Classy, just like the flower handing the cup to Murray. 

Wow, Fleury could have really put the Pens into a difficult situation but chose to take the high road.

I think I might cry (not really - I only cried when Mickey died in Rocky III and when James J. Braddock won the Heavyweight Title in Cinderella Man).  

In all seriousness this is a total - total - class act by MAF.  I read it's only for Vegas though which is fine. If nothing else it allows them to protect Murray.

43 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I'm sure it's been said before but this has to be a ton of fun for McPhee.  Here's a list. Make a team.  

Well, if nothing else, this likely made my fantasy keeper decisions easier (I have Murray).

Fantasy aside, I hope Vegas takes Fleury.   He's been a loyal warrior in Pittsburgh, and I'm not sure I'd say he's always been treated the best there--especially in these playoffs.  I mean, it worked for the Penguins so objectively I get it.   But he carried them through the first two rounds, has a bad game and maybe a half and gets yanked for the duration.   And I didn't think he was used/treated properly when he first came up.

I know this is odd to say from a Flyer fan, but I wish him the best wherever his road takes him.

MAF was almost in tears last night during one of the interviews, as he understands his time here is at an end.   It is a hard thing to leave the team you've played for for the last 14 years. He has ties both with the organization as well as the community.  He has been a class act in all ways.  I hope they can move him to a contending team of his choice rather than go through the expansion process.  I just don't see an expansion team winning for a few years, and he deserves better than that.  He will go down as one of the great goaltenders in Pittsburgh Penguins history. 

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

MAF was almost in tears last night during one of the interviews, as he understands his time here is at an end.   It is a hard thing to leave the team you've played for for the last 14 years. He has ties both with the organization as well as the community.  He has been a class act in all ways.  I hope they can move him to a contending team of his choice rather than go through the expansion process.  I just don't see an expansion team winning for a few years, and he deserves better than that.  He will go down as one of the great goaltenders in Pittsburgh Penguins history. 

I'm not sure of that! It took him nine years to win a playoff series possibly costing the Pens three Stanley Cup finals appearances! (2011,2012 and 2015. 2010 Pens organization wanted book end losses to Montreal!) 

His goals against average was to average to be called great! There were times I was able to call goals by the opposition at the face off as soon as the Pens scored! 

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I'm hoping to trade him and get something in return even if a PB&J sandwich! :VeryCool:

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Philly, makes a lot of sense.  2 years at 5.75M is totally do-able and I'm actually in favor of it.  :tongue:

Calgary needs a #1 goaltender also.

I would be all for it as well... although, I am not sure the Pens would trade him to Philly.   It would have to be a 3 team type deal most likely.   

I go back and forth on Philly acquiring MAF. Term is perfect, 2 years. Cap hit is more than I want to spend, but if you're not bringing any other pieces, it's doable. I think he really got the shaft with the quick hook in the playoffs this year, and as much as I do and have ragged on him in the past, he put in a quality performance this year and the Penguins don't make it past Washington without him. That said, I don't know that I'm willing to part with what it would take to acquire him over an option like Mason as UFA or even someone like Pickard in a trade. MAF isn't going to be the future of the team, so I can't see giving up multiple picks for him as a stopgap.

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

I would be all for it as well... although, I am not sure the Pens would trade him to Philly.   It would have to be a 3 team type deal most likely.   

I don't think they would either.  Not that the Pens wouldn't trade with Philly at all. Just not Fleury.

1 minute ago, B21 said:

I don't think they would either.  Not that the Pens wouldn't trade with Philly at all. Just not Fleury.

I would guess should something like that happen, it would be Vegas picking him in the draft and flipping him to Philly.

Unless there is something goofy about MAF that the Knights don't like, I think they'd be absolutely nuts NOT to take him if he were exposed in the draft.

Let's face it: Over the years in expansion, the goalie position has traditionally been the biggest weak point of any fledgeling franchise. Teams usually end up with the journeyman backups or guys who barely are NHL goaltenders.

MAF may not be the same spry young goalie he once was, but as he has shown this year, he still has plenty in the tank and is VERY much still an NHL goalie.....possibly even still a cut above what some teams in the NHL are passing off as NHL goaltenders...

Now, whether Fleury will be successful backstopping a Vegas team that will be no where near the caliber of the Pittsburgh teams he is used to is another story, but if you are Vegas, and this man is available to be your first ever goaltender, I'd say you have to go for it.

And yes, very classy move by MAF to make himself available for expansion or trade. Certainly removes some bindings from the Penguins organization.

Thing is though...if MAF is truly gone starting next year, I think @notfondajane is going to be very, very sad... :VeryCool:

Fleury as a Flyer?

Well, crazier things have happened in the NHL.

Besides, aside from MAF being an incessant enemy of the O & B as a Penguin, I don't see why Fleury wouldn't help bolster Philly in the goaltending department seeing as how that has been a sore spot for years with the Flyers.

No disrespect to Mason, but Fleury is just a higher caliber of goalie, even at this stage of his career.

That said, I think the Penguins KNOW Fleury could help the Flyers and likely wouldn't trade him to them....at least not without asking for a king's ransom in young players, which the Flyers wouldn't (or at least they SHOULDN'T) do. 

If Homer were in charge, maybe Pitts could put one over on Philly here....but I would think Hextall would be more savvy than to give up current and future core players even if the return is MAF.

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Unless there is something goofy about MAF that the Knights don't like, I think they'd be absolutely nuts NOT to take him if he were exposed in the draft.

Let's face it: Over the years in expansion, the goalie position has traditionally been the biggest weak point of any fledgeling franchise. Teams usually end up with the journeyman backups or guys who barely are NHL goaltenders.

MAF may not be the same spry young goalie he once was, but as he has shown this year, he still has plenty in the tank and is VERY much still an NHL goalie.....possibly even still a cut above what some teams in the NHL are passing off as NHL goaltenders...

Now, whether Fleury will be successful backstopping a Vegas team that will be no where near the caliber of the Pittsburgh teams he is used to is another story, but if you are Vegas, and this man is available to be your first ever goaltender, I'd say you have to go for it.

And yes, very classy move by MAF to make himself available for expansion or trade. Certainly removes some bindings from the Penguins organization.

Thing is though...if MAF is truly gone starting next year, I think @notfondajane is going to be very, very sad... :VeryCool:

Fleury as a Flyer?

Well, crazier things have happened in the NHL.

Besides, aside from MAF being an incessant enemy of the O & B as a Penguin, I don't see why Fleury wouldn't help bolster Philly in the goaltending department seeing as how that has been a sore spot for years with the Flyers.

No disrespect to Mason, but Fleury is just a higher caliber of goalie, even at this stage of his career.

That said, I think the Penguins KNOW Fleury could help the Flyers and likely wouldn't trade him to them....at least not without asking for a king's ransom in young players, which the Flyers wouldn't (or at least they SHOULDN'T) do. 

If Homer were in charge, maybe Pitts could put one over on Philly here....but I would think Hextall would be more savvy than to give up current and future core players even if the return is MAF.

You would be correct in saying I would be sad. I would feel bad for the team that picks him up!

As for the Flyers, he been helping them out! (Remember the chant you can't beat us!) He wouldn't let the Pens win!

I actually believe if Mason was on the Pens his stats maybe slightly better  (based on how Flyers fans talk about the defense.)

Fleury isn't that great of a goalie! He has a major problem with consistency! Rinne is a similar goalkeeper. He could be beaten high on the glove side! Fleury could beaten anywhere high!

Yes I am glad he is gone!

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

You would be correct in saying I would be sad. I would feel bad for the team that picks him up!

As for the Flyers, he been helping them out! (Remember the chant you can't beat us!) He wouldn't let the Pens win!

I actually believe if Mason was on the Pens his stats maybe slightly better  (based on how Flyers fans talk about the defense.)

Fleury isn't that great of a goalie! He has a major problem with consistency! Rinne is a similar goalkeeper. He could be beaten high on the glove side! Fleury could beaten anywhere high!

Yes I am glad he is gone!

You misspelled "Niemi"

16 hours ago, B21 said:

I disagree here.  If there was a deal on the board that was legitimate with the Flyers, and Fleury told the Pens he'd like to go there instead taking the chance with Vegas, I think the Pens do right by him and make the trade.   Fleury has been the ultimate team guy here and I believe the Pens would love to do whats best for him. 

And better to make a trade and get a few something than lose him for nothing.  I don't think they can ask the world as teams know the Pens are in a bind. So they probably won't get fair trade value for him.   Just don't retain contract $$$ as we could use that for someone like Shultz. 

40 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I disagree here.  If there was a deal on the board that was legitimate with the Flyers, and Fleury told the Pens he'd like to go there instead taking the chance with Vegas, I think the Pens do right by him and make the trade.   Fleury has been the ultimate team guy here and I believe the Pens would love to do whats best for him. 

And better to make a trade and get a few something than lose him for nothing.  I don't think they can ask the world as teams know the Pens are in a bind. So they probably won't get fair trade value for him.   Just don't retain contract $$$ as we could use that for someone like Shultz. 

I agree noss....but also don't think Fleury would pick the Flyers as his landing spot after all those years hating them.

Archived