Danny Briere moving to Maine!! (comcast buys team)

As a Flyers Fan from Maine, and living 10 miles from Portland, this news excites me greatly!!

I was SO bummed when we lost the Pirates and I LOVE Briere and his time with the Flyers!

Looks like me and the boy have a new hockey team to follow! :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Comcast-Spectacor-Alaska-Aces-Danny-Briere-ECHL-Flyers.html

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

that is awesome man... enjoy it!!    I am close to the Royals & the Phantoms and it is a lot of fun to take the family. And much cheaper!!

This scares me.  How close are you to me?  I'm less than 15 minutes from the phantoms and about 25 from the royals.  We might be neighbors!

1 hour ago, icehole said:

This scares me.  How close are you to me?  I'm less than 15 minutes from the phantoms and about 25 from the royals.  We might be neighbors!

He's watching you right now....eeeewww.

Creepy

:nonono:

14 hours ago, icehole said:

I see your every move @icehole

You're in luck... I am much closer to the Royals.

23 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

As a Flyers Fan from Maine, and living 10 miles from Portland, this news excites me greatly!!

I was SO bummed when we lost the Pirates and I LOVE Briere and his time with the Flyers!

Looks like me and the boy have a new hockey team to follow! :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Comcast-Spectacor-Alaska-Aces-Danny-Briere-ECHL-Flyers.html

This is really great news for Portland and Briere.  Danny B was always a stand up guy for this team.  I miss seeing him out there.

It'll also give me another reason to stop in Portland next time I'm coming through Maine!

6 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I remember reading a "rumour" last year that Comcast might be looking to sell the Flyers...this probably doesnt mean that will happen (good)

I really don't see any reason they'd want to do that.  The Flyers are a profitable business that doesn't need much attention in orer to remain profitable. Additionally, Comcast is a distribution company and has been spending a lot of energy acquiring content assets to distribute. Selling the team would jeopardize that asset. 

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

I really don't see any reason they'd want to do that.  The Flyers are a profitable business that doesn't need much attention in orer to remain profitable. Additionally, Comcast is a distribution company and has been spending a lot of energy acquiring content assets to distribute. Selling the team would jeopardize that asset. 

Last I read, the Flyers pretty much break even every season and only make a profit if they make the playoffs

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Mmmmmmm sure. 

All I can find now is operating income, which is not profit, but I do remember reading a article that, aside from the Canadian markets, the bigger American market are around the break even mark, and really only make big profits if they make the playoffs. That doesn't surprise me. Canadian teams are sold out every single game and tickets are much higher than American teams, even the bigger markets.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:15 PM, RJ8812 said:

All I can find now is operating income, which is not profit, but I do remember reading a article that, aside from the Canadian markets, the bigger American market are around the break even mark, and really only make big profits if they make the playoffs. That doesn't surprise me. Canadian teams are sold out every single game and tickets are much higher than American teams, even the bigger markets.

Most movies don't technically turn a profit either.  It's convenient accounting.  If the Flyers didn't turn a profit there is absolutely no way they'd ever have bought out Briere or Bryzgalov or Umberger.  That's just lost money into the ether.  

The Flyers used to be the third most profitable team in the league behind the Rangers and Maple Leafs. I don't know if they still are.  They don't sell out quite as much, but the tickets short of a sellout they are doesn't amount to that much of a loss. 

They may not turn a profit on ticket sales until the playoffs but licensing and sponsorships is where they make money that many other teams i the league cannot because of the size and dedication to hockey of the philly market.  You think those tasty cakes are given away for everyone's health?  You think the PECOOOOOOOO Power Play is just fun to say and gets them psyched up?

Additionally, they provide an astounding amount of content and programming hours for Comcast essentially at a

flat rate so even if they did just break even, Comcast probably wouldn't care.  

Then there's the league profit sharing. Teams like the Flyers have an incentive to get fancy with the reported accounting or else they have to give up more to the coyotes and hurricanes. 

Its definitely a proftiable enterprise. They don't do it all out of the kindness of their hearts to entertain us.  They're doing just fine.  

10 hours ago, King Knut said:

Most movies don't technically turn a profit either.  It's convenient accounting.  If the Flyers didn't turn a profit there is absolutely no way they'd ever have bought out Briere or Bryzgalov or Umberger.  That's just lost money into the ether.  

The Flyers used to be the third most profitable team in the league behind the Rangers and Maple Leafs. I don't know if they still are.  They don't sell out quite as much, but the tickets short of a sellout they are doesn't amount to that much of a loss. 

They may not turn a profit on ticket sales until the playoffs but licensing and sponsorships is where they make money that many other teams i the league cannot because of the size and dedication to hockey of the philly market.  You think those tasty cakes are given away for everyone's health?  You think the PECOOOOOOOO Power Play is just fun to say and gets them psyched up?

Additionally, they provide an astounding amount of content and programming hours for Comcast essentially at a

flat rate so even if they did just break even, Comcast probably wouldn't care.  

Then there's the league profit sharing. Teams like the Flyers have an incentive to get fancy with the reported accounting or else they have to give up more to the coyotes and hurricanes. 

Its definitely a proftiable enterprise. They don't do it all out of the kindness of their hearts to entertain us.  They're doing just fine.  

I may be wrong but I think @RJ8812 was talking about the ECHL teams.  They do in fact struggle financially and that is why you see so many teams being sold off to other clubs.   Ticket sales are not very good and the advertising is usually locally based advertising.   

Comcast has enough money to do what they want but the Royals are not a money-making machine.   If they break even it is a good year for them.  ECHL is not an easy business and it is rarely a profitable endeavor.

23 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I may be wrong but I think @RJ8812 was talking about the ECHL teams.  They do in fact struggle financially and that is why you see so many teams being sold off to other clubs.   Ticket sales are not very good and the advertising is usually locally based advertising.   

Comcast has enough money to do what they want but the Royals are not a money-making machine.   If they break even it is a good year for them.  ECHL is not an easy business and it is rarely a profitable endeavor.

Well that makes a LOT more sense.  U would expect that ECHL teams have trouble.  I'd expect that for that reason Portland (having lost their minor league team and having U Maine being nearly as far away as the Bruins) might be a better market than say... Reading.  

Maybe the Flyers bought them just so they'll have enough teams to stash all the goalies they've drafted? 

8 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Yeah, I'm strongly considering it as well, just wondering what an ECHL season ticket pack for a new franchise goes for these days!....I can't imagine too much!

I so want to get my Briere jersey signed..... :)

I can't imagine tickets would be more than $500 for decent seats.  Here is a good site that shows the prices for ECHL teams.  Seems like the teams in larger metropolitan areas have higher prices.

http://www.echl.com/tickets

I had season tickets in 2007 in Mississippi when I lived there and there was a team in the ECHL.  36 Home games, lower bowl 5 rows from the glass, and I paid $285.  That works out to about $8 per game.  Face value on the tickets was $15.  Here is the best part...I was in the military and they had a "Buy one, get one free" sale for military so I had two books of tickets.  Being single and not having a girlfriend at the time, I would stand near the box office and when I saw two people approach I would offer the $15 tickets for $10 apiece.  People couldn't get the money out of their pocket fast enough!!  I would then turn around and buy a $10 ticket and sit a couple rows up from the people I just sold the tickets to.   I made all of my money back, got to see the games and had enough money for a beer and some nachos or pretzel all season!!

20 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Yeah, I'm strongly considering it as well, just wondering what an ECHL season ticket pack for a new franchise goes for these days!....I can't imagine too much!

I so want to get my Briere jersey signed..... :)

I can't imagine it being too much.  36 home games @ $10 a game is my wild guess.  Hoping it's less than that actually.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2017 at 9:25 AM, Digityman said:

I can't imagine it being too much.  36 home games @ $10 a game is my wild guess.  Hoping it's less than that actually.

Possible team name the Wild Blueberries.  :eyeroll:

Fans can vote for one of the 5 names.  http://www.echl.com/portland-hold-name-team-contest

Mariners, the Watchmen, the Lumberjacks, the Puffins, and the Wild Blueberries.

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

:whaaa?:

I like puffins....I love blueberries....they are terrible names for a hockey team.

And next on deck, the Boston Buttercups coming to a rink near you.......The least they can do is come up with a name that is at least offensive to someone.......:shakeshead:

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

And next on deck, the Boston Buttercups coming to a rink near you.......The least they can do is come up with a name that is at least offensive to someone.......:shakeshead:

Maybe they think the Wild Blueberries would roll over their opponent.

Image result for willy wonka blueberry girl gif

Archived