Danny Briere moving to Maine!! (comcast buys team)

On 8/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, hf101 said:

Possible team name the Wild Blueberries.  :eyeroll:

Fans can vote for one of the 5 names.  http://www.echl.com/portland-hold-name-team-contest

Mariners, the Watchmen, the Lumberjacks, the Puffins, and the Wild Blueberries.

It has to be the Mariners.  Has? To? Be?  Please....

I was so pissed I totally forgot to enter a name for the team!

Blueberries?! good god, the entries must have been few and horrible.

I was going to enter "Casco Crush".....but not sure what a mascot would look like! :)

ANYTHING but the bluberries....danger with that as a choice is one or a few people getting "cute" and voting for it like a thousand times just to be an ass!....

I like the Watchmen right now (think lighthouse on jersey and some salty lighthouse keeper as the mascot).....But agree that the Mariners brings back a lot of nostalgia!

On 6/15/2017 at 2:38 PM, MaineFlyFan said:

As a Flyers Fan from Maine, and living 10 miles from Portland, this news excites me greatly!!

I was SO bummed when we lost the Pirates and I LOVE Briere and his time with the Flyers!

Looks like me and the boy have a new hockey team to follow! :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Comcast-Spectacor-Alaska-Aces-Danny-Briere-ECHL-Flyers.html

So this will be the Flyers farm team?  In the East coast league?  How does this league compare with the AHL?  Are the phantoms still the AHL affiliate of the Flyers?  I know that the Sabres had Portland for a couple of years before they reunited with the Rochester Americans.  I am a bit confused.  I thought the Portland Pirates were still in the AHL?  Going to check

On 6/15/2017 at 2:38 PM, MaineFlyFan said:

As a Flyers Fan from Maine, and living 10 miles from Portland, this news excites me greatly!!

I was SO bummed when we lost the Pirates and I LOVE Briere and his time with the Flyers!

Looks like me and the boy have a new hockey team to follow! :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Comcast-Spectacor-Alaska-Aces-Danny-Briere-ECHL-Flyers.html

20 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So this will be the Flyers farm team?  In the East coast league?  How does this league compare with the AHL?  Are the phantoms still the AHL affiliate of the Flyers?  I know that the Sabres had Portland for a couple of years before they reunited with the Rochester Americans.  I am a bit confused.  I thought the Portland Pirates were still in the AHL?  Going to check

The Phantoms are still the Flyers farm team. None of that is changing.

This thread is simply about how Comcast -- owners of the Flyers -- are going to be building an ECHL team, and Danny Brière is to be involved in that. I imagine it's entirely possible there could be some movement between the Phantoms and this new venture, but it's likely not anything as defined as a proper farm team relationship.

On 8/23/2017 at 0:34 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

It's kinda like single A baseball, it's more or less a farm team for the farm team and not really a source of development of pro talent.  

Currently the Flyers are associated with the Reading Royals.  I'm not sure what impact if any this new team will have on that relationship.  

On 8/21/2017 at 8:13 AM, Digityman said:

It has to be the Mariners.  Has? To? Be?  Please....

I'm good with Watchmen too.  Puffins should be a Penguins affiliate, though at least a Puffin is not a flightless bird.

But Portland is such a sea fairing city, I hope the name reflects that.  Friggin' blueberries are about 3.5 hours farther north anyway. 

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

I'm good with Watchmen too.  Puffins should be a Penguins affiliate, though at least a Puffin is not a flightless bird.

But Portland is such a sea fairing city, I hope the name reflects that.  Friggin' blueberries are about 3.5 hours farther north anyway. 

Thanks for the info. Yes I know its known for its Lighthouses.  The Sabres were the parent team for a short time.

• 3 weeks later...

Email from Comcast:

Good afternoon!

Thank you for expressing interest in the new Portland hockey team! Today, we announced that we will be receiving full season ticket deposits for the 2018-19 season. Deposits will be $50 per seat that is fully refundable until you select your seat. We will be releasing ticket pricing in the near future as well. Keep in mind that the deposit is refundable if you do not agree with pricing.

The deposits will start at 12pm on Tuesday, September 19th at PortlandMaineHockey.com. Portland Pirates 2015-16 season ticket holders will be given the option to keep their same seat location. If you were not a Pirates season ticket holder, you will be put in a queue to select your seat location based on when you made your deposit.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, MaineFlyFan said:

Email from Comcast:

Good afternoon!

Thank you for expressing interest in the new Portland hockey team! Today, we announced that we will be receiving full season ticket deposits for the 2018-19 season. Deposits will be $50 per seat that is fully refundable until you select your seat. We will be releasing ticket pricing in the near future as well. Keep in mind that the deposit is refundable if you do not agree with pricing.

The deposits will start at 12pm on Tuesday, September 19th at PortlandMaineHockey.com. Portland Pirates 2015-16 season ticket holders will be given the option to keep their same seat location. If you were not a Pirates season ticket holder, you will be put in a queue to select your seat location based on when you made your deposit.

I'll be reserving my 2 seats Tuesday afternoon.

Same here Digity! One for me and one for the boy!

I just hope they keep it reasonable so I can afford the rest!....The payment plan sounds helpful to a guy with 2 kids in daycare! :)

Would love to grab a beer (or a soda) and say hi at a game some night!

Cheers

Archived