Drouin Traded To Montreal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, blocker said:

Jonathon Drouin to Montreal for Mikhail Sergachev.  Couple draft choices both ways, forget which.

Conditional 6th to MTL, a 2nd to TB

14 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I have a feeling that JD wasn't going to resign in TB, so they got a pretty nice package for him given the circumstances. 

Agreed. 

47 minutes ago, radoran said:

Wondering what @jammer2 thinks of Sergachev?

What would the comparable on the Flyers' Blue Line of the Future have been?

Sergachev is SUPER talented. Has a great shot from the point, will probably end up playing with Hedman on the Bolt's top pp (in a few years) This kid is breathtaking when rushing the puck, elite moves and silky smooth stride that looks effortless. Very smart vision wise, but was benched this year once because he was taking some lazy penalties. He's gonna be a star, but he will struggle when first breaking into the league. As he gets more and more comfortable, he will start controlling the pace of the game etc.

I see a 50+ point defensemen and one of the best skaters in the league on the back end. This video shows some of his better stuff.

Comparing him to Flyers defensive prospects?  I see a lot of Myers in him, basically same size and skating/shot are close also.

12 minutes ago, habsguy26 said:

Gonna miss Sergachev as he was the next P.K Subban but Drouin is great.

They will both end up being stars, no doubt in my mind. Habs will have the advantage the first few years, but I do believe Tampa got the best player....and I really like Drouin's upside, he has not shown even 50% of his potential. In all likelihood, it will be one of those trades where both teams profit.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

They will both end up being stars, no doubt in my mind. Habs will have the advantage the first few years, but I do believe Tampa got the best player....and I really like Drouin's upside, he has not shown even 50% of his potential. In all likelihood, it will be one of those trades where both teams profit.

Agreed. As I stated in the post I made about Galchenyuk/Drouin, Drouin will be under huge pressure as he is a french-canadian and recently, french players with hype coming in haven't performed well at all. Sergachev will be a beast for Tampa no doubt. 

6 minutes ago, habsguy26 said:

Agreed. As I stated in the post I made about Galchenyuk/Drouin, Drouin will be under huge pressure as he is a french-canadian and recently, french players with hype coming in haven't performed well at all. Sergachev will be a beast for Tampa no doubt. 

The last time Montreal traded a young star d-man for a star forward it did not work out so well. Unfair comparison, because Chelois was established when traded, but he went on to star for years and years after Denis Savard retired. 

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The last time Montreal traded a young star d-man for a star forward it did not work out so well. Unfair comparison, because Chelois was established when traded, but he went on to star for years and years after Denis Savard retired. 

you're bringing up some bad memories @jammer2, this is supposed to be an optimistic day for me!!!! just whatever you do, don't bring up Jocelyn Thibault! :hehe:

37 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Comparing him to Flyers defensive prospects?  I see a lot of Myers in him, basically same size and skating/shot are close also

I guess I'm really getting at "would the Flyers have needed to trade X plus a 2nd" to get Drouin? And what's X?

If Myers works out to be the equivalent of a 9th overall selection, that's a real coup for Hextall.

45 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Well, and Drouin's 22. Not 39. But still Qubecois.

I think this trade gives each team what it needed. Tampa desperately needs some young talent on defense - they have four guys under contract with three of them over 30 and the fourth - Hedman - signed for 8 more years at 26. They can slide Sergachev if they want to and still have a 20 year old under contract for three years next year. And a second rounder.

Montreal gets a young, talented Francophone which likely is what got Tampa the 2nd rounder.

I am curious if this means that Galchenyuk is going to be moving.

Not quite sure what to make of this.

I saw Jonathan Drouin finally start coming into his own, and was looking forward to perhaps him being a regular winger for Steven Stamkos in '17-'18, but I DO know the Bolts needed another quality defender.

I don't know anything about Sergachev, so I will simply go by what is being said here about him and from the sounds of it, it looks like the Lightning got themselves a good one...albeit, perhaps he doesn't make an impact right away for the parent club.

Funny thing in all this is, when Drouin had the hissy fit and was sent home, word was that if Steve Yzerman WERE to trade Drouin, it would have to be for a top flight defenseman.

At the time, some rumors swirled around him going to places like Anaheim for perhaps a Shea Theodore or Sami Vatenan.

Or to Dallas for a John Klingberg.

And there were even some tidbits floating around that Drouin could be sent to places like Edmonton for perhaps a Darnell Nurse, Minnesota for Matt Dumba, Ottawa for a Tomas Chabot, or Philadelphia for one of their young defensemen.

All of these potential trades had their pros n cons, but once Yzerman decided to hang on to Drouin (perhaps simply to show the young player its what the GM says not the player or a deal simply wasn't going to work out for both teams), I thought for sure Drouin would be a long term Bolt, especially once he showed flashes of what he is capable of.

But again, TB needs good young defensemen.

Right now, TB's top 4 are/were Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, Brayden Coburn, and Jason Garrison.

Not exactly the kind of top 4 you want to have if you are gearing up to be a Cup contender year in, year out.

--Garrison is on the last year of his contract and will likely not be re-signed beyond (if he doesn't get exposed and picked up by Vegas first)

--Coburn has been ok, but he is best as a bottom pair guy and is still prone to mistakes at times even with his veteran status

--Stralman GROSSLY underperformed last season and will have to prove that it was simply a down year and that he is NOT on the decline

--Hedman remains as the undisputed #1 D-man on the roster...but he can't do it alone on the blue line.

Other D-men:

--Andrej Sustr.  He has been ok. But he reminds me of Coburn in the sense that he is big, but doesn't always play to his size, and will make errors at times when the team can least afford them.

--Luke Witkowski. Rugged d-man who is 27 years old, but really is not a particularly good skater and is at best a 5th or 6th defenseman playing against the other team's 3rd or 4th lines exclusively.

--Slater Koekkoek.  Has upside (he is only 23 still) but so far, has had trouble cracking and staying in the Lightning lineup without seeing prolonged stints in the minors.

--Jake Dotchin.  23 year old who is possibly the best young D-man (unless this Sergachev turns out to be the real deal) the Bolts have. Seems to play a good all around game, though obviously, still has some holes to work on (positional awareness for one) before he can be considered a true top 4 guy.

Anyways, sorry for yet another long winded post, but right now, not sure what to think of Drouin being traded...especially to a division rival like Montreal.

For sure, the Habs need the scoring, and the Lightning definitely need a good, big young defenseman.

As a Bolts fan, I can only hope this works out for my team as surely Drouin will pay dividends for Montreal before Sergachev gets a chance to do the same for Tampa Bay.

In Yzerman I trust. 

So far, I can't complain about the job he has done since taking over as GM.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Sergachev is SUPER talented. Has a great shot from the point, will probably end up playing with Hedman on the Bolt's top pp (in a few years) This kid is breathtaking when rushing the puck, elite moves and silky smooth stride that looks effortless. Very smart vision wise, but was benched this year once because he was taking some lazy penalties. He's gonna be a star, but he will struggle when first breaking into the league. As he gets more and more comfortable, he will start controlling the pace of the game etc.

I see a 50+ point defensemen and one of the best skaters in the league on the back end. This video shows some of his better stuff.

Comparing him to Flyers defensive prospects?  I see a lot of Myers in him, basically same size and skating/shot are close also.

Agreed. there is a reason every "Proposal" you see from fans wanting to trade with the Habs had this guy. He is going to be a stud.

Not a fan of Drouin, I believe at best he will settle in as a flawed player, 50ish points a year with glaring deficiencies. Not saying that he isnt talented but he is horribly overrated, a middle six winger who doesnt have enough to play center. His holdout fiasco a few years ago has probably been stewing in Yzerman since and he just wanted to wait for the right deal at the right time.

The number one thing that the Bolts wanted to address was defense and Sergachev is a top notch prospect who should step right in to the top four right now and fits a glaring need. Throw in a second rounder, IMHO a flat out steal for the Lightning.

Last thought, I find it curious that the two teams in the same division have now made two trades in the last few months. I cannot fathom the Penguins and Flyers doing a Guentzel for Ghost deal.

Good deal for both teams. A lot of skill, untapped potential and promise going to both teams. Plus, Montreal gets a French-Canadian kid, so surely their fans love that. I guess Sergachev could eventually be a replacement for Coburn or Garrison. That kid has some good wheels.

20 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Montreal vs Tampa isn't quite the hate filled rivalry that Pittsburgh vs Philly is though.

Okay true, might be a bit of a reach on my part, lol, But it is strange to see such a big trade within the division.

A side issue that i havent seen brought up is the Bolts can now protect someone else as Sergachev does not need protected so they get to keep a player they did not want to lose.

OH and drouin six years thirty three million bucks. wow. That is a lot for one good year.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Okay true, might be a bit of a reach on my part, lol, But it is strange to see such a big trade within the division.

A side issue that i havent seen brought up is the Bolts can now protect someone else as Sergachev does not need protected so they get to keep a player they did not want to lose.

OH and drouin six years thirty three million bucks. wow. That is a lot for one good year.

The more I think about it, aside from needing a good defenseman, I think this was another reason Yzerman looked hard for a deal:

$5.5M isn't too bad if Drouin lives up to his potential.

However, like you said, it is one year, and though it is likely Drouin will have many more like it, nothing is guaranteed.

Traditionally, the Bolts, when dealing with an up n coming forward prospect, like to do a three year bridge type deal in the $3M-3.5M range, THEN pony up for the big bucks if the player proves sound.

Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson are examples of good players whom TB gave bridge deals to, same with Namestnikov, Kucherov, Stamkos.

Granted, Kucherov and Stamkos were 'higher end' players than Johnson or Palat, so they got more quicker, but I don't think Drouin would have settled for a "mere $3M per for 3 or 4 years" type deal.

Fortunately for TB, guys like Yanni Gourde and Adam Erne have shown they may be able to partially replace Drouin's skill in their lineup. Neither of those players are cut of the cloth of skill as Drouin is, but they aren't slouch players either.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

change of scenery for Drouin might be beneficial for him....

I agree. I know I'm negative Nellie, but I'm very suspicious that this is the wrong destination for him.  I just fail to see how the players on the Habs could possibly be a better compliment for him than those in Tampa. 

You could argue usage and all that, but, well, I'm suspicious. 

I think Tampa did a terrific job here and upgraded their team long term. 

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Not a fan of Drouin, I believe at best he will settle in as a flawed player, 50ish points a year with glaring deficiencies. Not saying that he isnt talented but he is horribly overrated, a middle six winger who doesnt have enough to play center. His holdout fiasco a few years ago has probably been stewing in Yzerman since and he just wanted to wait for the right deal at the right time.

The number one thing that the Bolts wanted to address was defense and Sergachev is a top notch prospect who should step right in to the top four right now and fits a glaring need. Throw in a second rounder, IMHO a flat out steal for the Lightning.

Last thought, I find it curious that the two teams in the same division have now made two trades in the last few months. I cannot fathom the Penguins and Flyers doing a Guentzel for Ghost deal.

This. All of this. I am not a fan of Drouin, either. Middle six is accurate, I think. Big win Tampa, IMHO. 

Archived