Coyotes Trade Mike Smith to Flames

pilldoc

http://thehockeywriters.com/arizona-coyotes-trade-mike-smith-to-calgary-flames/

In the second trade of the day, the Coyotes have sent goaltender Mike Smith to the Flames in exchange for prospect Brandon Hickey, a conditional third-round pick and goaltender Chad Johnson. Additionally, the Coyotes will retain 25 percent of Smith’s salary.

Smith an Interesting Choice

The deal is an interesting one for the Flames. On the surface, Smith hardly seems like an upgrade from either Elliott or Johnson. Smith compiled a 2.92 goals against average with a .914 save percentage while going 19-26-9 in 55 games last season and joins the Flames as a 35-year-old veteran. Still, Smith was playing in behind a Coyotes team that was leaving him responsible for backstopping the team to just about any win they may have gotten last season. While he could potentially improve with a new team, the Flames should till be weary of his career 2.70 goals against average and .913 save percentage as they absorb 75 percent of the $5.666 million per year contract that he’ll be earning for the next two seasons.

For the Coyotes, the addition of Johnson to the deal was a necessity as they would have been left with only Louis Domingue as a potential goalie to expose. As such, the team wouldn’t have met either the protection requirements or exposure requirements. The Coyotes can protect Johnson in the upcoming draft.

Honestly, this deal sounds like "re-arranging furniture" as someone on here likes to say, for the Calgary Flames, while Arizona, perhaps, feels a guy like Louie Domingue might be ready to play more games while being backed up by the capable journeyman Chad Johnson.

At his very best, Mike Smith can be a pretty darned good goalie.

But then again, he seems at his best when a tight defense is played in front of him (something the Yotes, at one time believe it or not, did well)....and one has to wonder if Calgary can provide that for him, as they have D-men that LOVE to jump into the play and many times, will leave their points wide open.

Also, Mike Smith is just about guaranteed to need time off due to an injury of some sort. That has been his history throughout his career, and it has become even more frequent as he has gotten older.

IMO, Smith is a "let's roll the dice" thing for the Flames and they STILL will need to find a steady goalie to take them to a championship.

As for the Yotes, they are still scavenging around for pieces that fit well together.

If Louie Domingue can take the reigns, I think Chad Johnson can back him up just fine.

But if Domingue shows he is still not ready, and Johnson is pressed into heavier minutes than he should be playing, then the Coyotes will be no better off than they were with Mike Smith in net......well, a bit relieved in cap space, but not much else beyond that.

Calling this a slight early win for the Yotes.

No way no how is Domingue going to wind up the starter in Arizona, he is not an NHL starting goalie now or ever. Arizona may be the potential landing spot of MA Fleury. 

As for Calgary, 'rearranging furniture sounds about right.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

No way no how is Domingue going to wind up the starter in Arizona, he is not an NHL starting goalie now or ever. Arizona may be the potential landing spot of MA Fleury. 

As for Calgary, 'rearranging furniture sounds about right.

Steve Mason says what about me???

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Steve Mason says what about me???

Sure.

As long as he has his head screwed on straight.

And Arizona's D isn't much better, if even that, over Philly's at the moment, outside of OEL.

So if Mason does end up in the desert, he better be prepared to see...and stop...a ton of shots.

• 1 month later...

I think that we need to wait until the season starts to see how Mike Smith will be in Calgary. As people already said in Calgary he will have a better defense in front of him and we need to see how it will play out. 

I think that last year in the playoff what killed them the most what the goaltending and if Smith will be good so Calgary will be able to go further next season. They got a very good team and hopefully, this trade will help them get further next season.

2 minutes ago, Edanl said:

I think that we need to wait until the season starts to see how Mike Smith will be in Calgary. As people already said in Calgary he will have a better defense in front of him and we need to see how it will play out. 

I think that last year in the playoff what killed them the most what the goaltending and if Smith will be good so Calgary will be able to go further next season. They got a very good team and hopefully, this trade will help them get further next season.

That and let's face it Hamilton is not very good.

Very disappointed in his play i wouldn't be overly shocked to see him traded again soon.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That and let's face it Hamilton is not very good.

Very disappointed in his play i wouldn't be overly shocked to see him traded again soon.

I somehow doubt that. He had a career year for points. Giordano was much more awful and his contract is far bigger.

Contracts keep going up and up. A 50 point scoring Defenseman signed for several more years for under 6 million and 24 years old isn't going unless a kings ransom is coming back.

28 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I somehow doubt that. He had a career year for points. Giordano was much more awful and his contract is far bigger.

Contracts keep going up and up. A 50 point scoring Defenseman signed for several more years for under 6 million and 24 years old isn't going unless a kings ransom is coming back.

Points ain't everything.

And he didn't play well in the playoff either.

I know everyone wants to pile on Elliot and rightfully so but he didn't impress either.

• 3 months later...

Archived