Scott Laughton (F)
Brayden Schenn (F)
Wayne Simmonds (F)
Jakub Voracek (F)
Shayne Gostisbehere (D)
Radko Gudas (D)
Brandon Manning (D)
Anthony Stolarz (G)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-reveals-protection-lists-ahead-of-expansion-draft-1.782246

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly an allstar list from the Flyers.   I suppose if you strip away the top 10 from any team (plus 1-2 year players) it doesn't look exactly exciting.

Question:  Who the hell is Jesper Pettersson?

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Who the hell is Jesper Pettersson?

A defenseman the Flyers took a couple years back in the 7th round. He played in the AHL/ECHL and has already headed back to play in the SHL.......he will never be back.....just too small to play in the NHL only 5-8.

II have no arguments with that list. I'm glad they protected Laughton.

An they protected Stolie and exposed Neuvy. Not really shocked with any of the selections.

Dear God it would be so sweet if they were to pluck Mcdud!!!!

I know that is wishful thinking and really no reason they should without being compensated...but i can still pray!!!!!

:beer:

14 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Eric Wellwood is on the list.  Isn't he retired?

I'm surprised that Laugton is protected but Weal is not.

So am I. I wonder if Laughton is trade bait, because I can't see how he fits into the Flyers future plans. I liked what I saw from Weal. He has really good speed. and forechecks pretty well. 

Eric Wellwood..heh

IMO, the short list would be Raffl, Read, Weal and Neuvirth. I'm hoping it's Neuvirth, but could also see Raffl or Weal. Even Del Zotto could be picked

28 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I think it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$. Laughton just needs to qualified for 900K and Weal is looking for a 2-3 year deal for 15-1.75 mill  a season from what i have seen....Ron playing hardball i think....however i think he is worth as much as Bellemare is for sure!

Gut feeling is that it's Michael Raffl that Vegas selects. Just too versatile a forward. He can play in a checking role, he can play on an offensive line as a complimentary player, he can play PK, and he has some center ability. He's the ideal fourth line forward for any building club. Right now, he's no longer a need for the Flyers. 

18 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I like PEB as a 4th line player. I don't get why they left him unprotected for only a $1.45 mil player. Watch him be one of the first Flyers that Vegas takes.

I would be totally fine with that too...   I like PEB but he is a dime a dozen type player these days.   I think Raff could be the one they pick though....

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Weal is a UFA. If Vegas selected him he could just resign with the Flyers July 1. Be a waste of a pick for Vegas.

My first thought with both Manning and Laughton protected is that Hextall is pretty much forcing Vegas to take salary. For me the last slot was always between Laughton and Raffl. I could have seen Laughton exposed with the hope that there were 10 more attractive RFAs/UFAs for Vegas to select. As it stands, I don't think there's any question that Raffl is taken.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

I like PEB as a 4th line player. I don't get why they left him unprotected for only a $1.45 mil player. Watch him be one of the first Flyers that Vegas takes.

Because he is a dime a dozen player. Not to mention, he was statistically one of the worse forwards in the league last season. He did not deserve that raise at all

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Weal remains unsigned so they can't protect. (That's my understanding anyway).  

I'd prefer to keep Weal and let them take Laughton myself, though.   Laughton really has shown me nothing.  I'm not sure whether he's been given enough of a chance, honestly, but I've seen little.

Wellwood is retired, but is like the Pronger thing where he's on our contract list until it expires?  How long was he signed for, anyway?  And why?

EDIT:  I just checked nhlnumbers.com (which isn't the best).  Unless I missed his name, I don't see Wellwood at all.  Is it a mistake on the list or a mistake on nhlnumbers.com?

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Because he is a dime a dozen player. Not to mention, he was statistically one of the worse forwards in the league last season. He did not deserve that raise at all

What did his Corsi, etc. look like?  Any idea?   I don't, but yeah, his standard stats were a disaster.   I was shocked by the raise.  I mean, I think he can slide into any line to spot an injury (just by optics/anecdotally), but otherwise a completely forgettable player.   If Vegas wants him, they can have him.  You'd think that Vegas would focus on players they can at least flip if someone doesn't quite fit.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Weal remains unsigned so they can't protect. (That's my understanding anyway).  

I'd prefer to keep Weal and let them take Laughton myself, though.   Laughton really has shown me nothing.  I'm not sure whether he's been given enough of a chance, honestly, but I've seen little.

Wellwood is retired, but is like the Pronger thing where he's on our contract list until it expires?  How long was he signed for, anyway?  And why?

EDIT:  I just checked nhlnumbers.com (which isn't the best).  Unless I missed his name, I don't see Wellwood at all.  Is it a mistake on the list or a mistake on nhlnumbers.com?

Wellwood's contract expired years ago. I'm really surprised he's listed. Maybe it's because he didn't officially sign his retirement papers?

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

What did his Corsi, etc. look like?  Any idea?   I don't, but yeah, his standard stats were a disaster.   I was shocked by the raise.  I mean, I think he can slide into any line to spot an injury (just by optics/anecdotally), but otherwise a completely forgettable player.   If Vegas wants him, they can have him.  You'd think that Vegas would focus on players they can at least flip if someone doesn't quite fit.

Vegas won't waste their pick on him and Hextall knows that. That's why he wasn't protected 

Archived