Flyers Available / Unavailable Expansion Draft

ruxpin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ruxpin said:

What did his Corsi, etc. look like?  Any idea?   I don't, but yeah, his standard stats were a disaster.   I was shocked by the raise.  I mean, I think he can slide into any line to spot an injury (just by optics/anecdotally), but otherwise a completely forgettable player.   If Vegas wants him, they can have him.  You'd think that Vegas would focus on players they can at least flip if someone doesn't quite fit.

His possession numbers are terrible, his scoring numbers are terrible, and he was a bad faceoff performer. Statwise, there's nothing attractive about Bellemare.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

His possession numbers are terrible, his scoring numbers are terrible, and he was a bad faceoff performer. Statwise, there's nothing attractive about Bellemare.

I thought I'd seen this before (quite possibly posted by you!) and thought I remembered them being horrible.  So yeah, why the extension/raise?   I don't get it.

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

If not Neuvirth, I really hope they pick Read

I'm with you.  Read is to the point where he does nothing and is the higher salary cap hit.

The very reason that I think it would not be Read.  But fingers are crossed.

23 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm with you.  Read is to the point where he does nothing and is the higher salary cap hit.

The very reason that I think it would not be Read.  But fingers are crossed.

Read's low on my list because his contract is up after this year. Yes, they get cap room this year, but there's not much to spend it on or a reason to do so. If you bury him in the minors or use him as your 13th forward it's really not the end of the world. I'd prefer them to pick Weise with 3 years remaining, or Neuvirth to clear room for a goalie upgrade.

20 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Read's low on my list because his contract is up after this year. Yes, they get cap room this year, but there's not much to spend it on or a reason to do so. If you bury him in the minors or use him as your 13th forward it's really not the end of the world. I'd prefer them to pick Weise with 3 years remaining, or Neuvirth to clear room for a goalie upgrade.

Deal!  Well-argued.

The goal situation is interesting.  At face value, it says we start the season with Neuvirth and Stolie.  Or, we have some mystery signing via free agency or trade.  If we think Vegas doesn't want Stolie, this was a blocking maneuver, in the sense it was wasted protection.  If there is no signing/trade then we say the brass expects a turnaround year from Neuvirth with the expectation that he plays no more than 40 or so games (his high is 48) and the team may expect "other" to back him up.  The G thing is a riddle.

Laughton being on the roster doesn't surprise me. He may still morph into a decent two-way guy.  And I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have to wonder if Coots isn't possible trade bait.  If we have a semi-functional D, having Coots may matter less.  We saw with Filpulla that Coots has been "demoted" to a third C role.  We might be able to fill that internally at lower salary.  Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The goal situation is interesting.  At face value, it says we start the season with Neuvirth and Stolie.  Or, we have some mystery signing via free agency or trade.  If we think Vegas doesn't want Stolie, this was a blocking maneuver, in the sense it was wasted protection.  If there is no signing/trade then we say the brass expects a turnaround year from Neuvirth with the expectation that he plays no more than 40 or so games (his high is 48) and the team may expect "other" to back him up.  The G thing is a riddle.

Laughton being on the roster doesn't surprise me. He may still morph into a decent two-way guy.  And I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have to wonder if Coots isn't possible trade bait.  If we have a semi-functional D, having Coots may matter less.  We saw with Filpulla that Coots has been "demoted" to a third C role.  We might be able to fill that internally at lower salary.  Just a thought.

I don't know if Neuvirth will be here. In fact, I really doubt it. I think he has a very friendly contract for Vegas. The more I think about it, they probably promote Stolarz to #1 and sign a very solid backup.

FD:  That could happen.  One thing dawned on me just before you replied--this franchise has to show it can develop goaltenders.  I don't know if it Stolie or other but we need to devote at least some games to seeing if the dudes have it.  Calling up Neal Little for a one or two game test, or bringing in a feel good tryout like the Zepper won't do that.  If they kept Neuvy--it would signal the test phase is on.  The same might be the case with the 1B types I see mentioned like Raanta or Kincaid who might be "tested" for 1A status.  In any event--I see 20-30 games going to a youngin this year for audition.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I thought I'd seen this before (quite possibly posted by you!) and thought I remembered them being horrible.  So yeah, why the extension/raise?   I don't get it.

intangibles/leadership.

The guy sublimated his game to help the team.

He played in all situations and played with courage.

He has + skating and isn't a dumbass.

He dragged Vandevelde around for 1.5 years- that's not going to be good for anyone's stats.

I believe the deal with Weal is that Vegas has an option to sign free agents prior to the draft - but that it would count as their pick from that team that was "losing" the player (and thus only one player per team).

There's no real incentive for Vegas to go after a player they could conceivably pick up in free agency, nor one that isn't necessarily under contract.

Weal and the team are said to be close.

I'm hoping Laughton shows up to be the player we hope he could be but always thought it would be one of Raffl, Read or Neuvirth. And it's no secret I believe McPhee picks up Neuvirth for a platoon/competition role in Vegas or a true backup role for a starter like Fleury, for example.

I'm getting the feeling that some of the "huh?" contracts (PEB, Raffl, Neuvirth) were made with an eye to making them more or less unpalatable in a draft scenario, narrowing the obvious choices to Read or Neuvirth. PEB gets a little extra at double the length that Hextall can afford, but doesn't make sense to a Vegas with better options. McPhee has history with Neuvirth and it would be as comfortable a situation for Vegas to have as for the Flyers to have him in a potential plattoon/backup role.

For a fanbase that is actively courting such stalwarts as Billy Elliott and Jonathan Bernier while actively shunning their former starter and in some ways hoping to unload their other goalie from last season, I just hope that things go as well with the Highly Touted Goalie Prospects as we all hope.

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

An expiring contract is why LV would be interested because they can easily flip him by the deadline for future assets. They are not taking Weise and his terrible contract 

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

I believe the deal with Weal is that Vegas has an option to sign free agents prior to the draft - but that it would count as their pick from that team that was "losing" the player (and thus only one player per team).

Correct. If signed between now and Wednesday by Vegas, Weal would count as their pick from Philly.

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

There's no real incentive for Vegas to go after a player they could conceivably pick up in free agency, nor one that isn't necessarily under contract.

Weal and the team are said to be close.

I'm hoping Laughton shows up to be the player we hope he could be but always thought it would be one of Raffl, Read or Neuvirth. And it's no secret I believe McPhee picks up Neuvirth for a platoon/competition role in Vegas or a true backup role for a starter like Fleury, for example.

Given some of the other talent out there, I'm not sure Vegas goes for Neuvirth. Grubauer, Pickard, Raanta... Lots of options out there for solid backups. 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

intangibles/leadership.

The guy sublimated his game to help the team.

He played in all situations and played with courage.

He has + skating and isn't a dumbass.

He dragged Vandevelde around for 1.5 years- that's not going to be good for anyone's stats.

Intangibles? He has none. In fact he was worse than VdV at every facet of the game last season. How had he helped the team? By winning faceoffs? Nope. By playing physically? Nope. By being good on the PK? Nope. He hasnt done squat for this team that makes him any more valuable than any other 4th liner in the league. His extension was and always will be a joke. It's a good thing we aren't in dire need for cap space.

Wind is blowing...rain starts to fall...lightning in the back ground followed by thunderous roar...the bells are ringing for I Philly29 have returned....... The message I bring to light from my long, long hiatus is.........................

....my leg hurts........seriously it actually does.

Whats could my fellow Flyer peeps freaking PUMPED for the draft this Friday!!!

26 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Wind is blowing...rain starts to fall...lightning in the back ground followed by thunderous roar...the bells are ringing for I Philly29 have returned....... The message I bring to light from my long, long hiatus is.........................

....my leg hurts........seriously it actually does.

Whats could my fellow Flyer peeps freaking PUMPED for the draft this Friday!!!

Hope it's not deep vein thrombosis!!!

We enter the year with what should be an improved defense. In theory goal will be better.  I guess the question now is the forward cadre.  Having Filpulla in camp will help.  We might have a new 2nd line center via our first round.  But wing--is there a sniper at camp?  I wonder if our fearless GM trades for someone to add some firepower at left wing?

If we are heading into a flat cap era, or worse still, a declining one, I say the dump of a Weise becomes really critical.  If Simmonds were to fetch a ransom....prospect plus first....would do it.  The numbers I read yesterday about professional sports and TV have to frighten the networks.  Folks under 50 are checking out.  Baseball watchers are in their mid 50's. The other sports aren't much better.  Between cord cutting + skinnied bundles...not good for big league TV contracts.  If I am Hexy, I plan for a cap at 65 to 70, tops and hope that some new CBA allows for the likes of Giroux and Jake to be bought out with limited long-term hit. 

10 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We enter the year with what should be an improved defense. In theory goal will be better.  I guess the question now is the forward cadre.  Having Filpulla in camp will help.  We might have a new 2nd line center via our first round.  But wing--is there a sniper at camp?  I wonder if our fearless GM trades for someone to add some firepower at left wing?

If we are heading into a flat cap era, or worse still, a declining one, I say the dump of a Weise becomes really critical.  If Simmonds were to fetch a ransom....prospect plus first....would do it.  The numbers I read yesterday about professional sports and TV have to frighten the networks.  Folks under 50 are checking out.  Baseball watchers are in their mid 50's. The other sports aren't much better.  Between cord cutting + skinnied bundles...not good for big league TV contracts.  If I am Hexy, I plan for a cap at 65 to 70, tops and hope that some new CBA allows for the likes of Giroux and Jake to be bought out with limited long-term hit. 

Cap is supposed to go up $1.5m

5 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Cap is supposed to go up $1.5m

RJ:

That would be good news. My read of late has been flat to declining with continued pressure from low Canadian dollar exchange.

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

RJ:

That would be good news. My read of late has been flat to declining with continued pressure from low Canadian dollar exchange.

Bobby Mac indicated that he's heard that the NHLPA will do something (forget what it's called exactly) and it would result in a $1-1.5m increase to the cap

Nothing set in stone, but the players will want it to increase 

26 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm thinking the Flyers are going to lose either Raffl or Bellemare.

By all means, if LV wants to waste their pick on Bellemare, I'm all for it

39 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We enter the year with what should be an improved defense.

I agree. Between addition by subtraction and better d-pair balance, the defense should improve, though I expect ups and downs as the rookies adjust to the NHL.

In theory goal will be better.

In theory it can't be much worse. 

I guess the question now is the forward cadre.  Having Filpulla in camp will help.  We might have a new 2nd line center via our first round.  But wing--is there a sniper at camp?  I wonder if our fearless GM trades for someone to add some firepower at left wing?

Lindblom should slot in on the left wing, unless something crazy happens. If Hischier/Patrick makes the team out of camp, Filpulla likely moves to LW as well. Add to that the apparent likelihood that Weal is re-signed, andplayers are going to get pushed down the depth chart, and it will make the team better overall.

Archived