Islanders offseason primer

yave1964

2016-17 A QUICK LOOK BACK: Tavares

The Isles entered last season hoping to settle into Brooklyn and put down roots, hoping to be a playoff team and give the fans something to cheer about.

What could go wrong went wrong and then some. They missed the postseason by a point, the face of the franchise is quietly  planning his exit strategy, they are uncertain if they will have a home to play in in the next season or two. 

On the ice, Tavares was brilliant, Josh Bailey was solid on Tavares line and finally seems to have found his place, Anders Lee scored 34 goals, others like Brock Nelson and Casey Cizikas were fine. Others among the forwards such as high priced free agent Andrew Ladd was awful most of the year, Ryan Strome didnt live up to the billing. In net, Jaro Halak hit the wall and is toast, Thomas Greiss was hot early and signed a three year extention based off two good months and then faded badly shortly thereafter. 

The defense is unique, every one who plays the back end for the Isles is always among the top of the charts in combined hits and blocks, it is expected. Leddy continues to shine, the rest of the crew is nondescript but solid. It is rumored that the underrated Calvin De Haan is a goner to the Knights in a side deal for the upcoming expansion draft.

They finished the year 41-29-12 just a nick out of a playoff spot, halfway thru the season they fired coach Jack Capuono and hired the universally respected Doug Weight.

FREE AGENTS

Nada. JF Berube wont be back as the backup goalie and wont be missed, Bracken Kearns will probably join his millionth organization next year if he wants to keep playing. Free agency is not a problem, at least not this year.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS:

1) THE TAVARES PROBLEM

As i posted elsewhere, Tavares is an UFA after this season and is playing his cards awfully close to the vest. They either need to sign him or get it over and move him, they are a decent team, if they are into the season fighting for a playoff position it is too late to move him then, it is realistically now or never.

2) IS GREISS THE ANSWER IN NET?

He looked really good for a few months, signed a three year extension and faded badly My personal opinion is the signing was a mistake, but hey, Garth snow knows nothing if not back up goaltenders. If I were the Isles I would hedge my bet with a Mason or Miller. Like I mentioned, they are not that far off from being a playoff team.

3) jOSH HO SANG IS THE THE REAL DEAL?

Yeah he is probably pretty good, 10 points in 21 games he screams top six sniper and might be a 55-60 point guy this year if on the top line with Tavares.

4) HOW LONG WILL GARTH SNOW LAST? HOW HAS HE LASTED AS LONG AS HE HAS?

Rumor is that the Isles have given the Knights and De Haan in exchange for not drafting one of their forwards. Just one in a series of misteps by one of the worst GM's in Hockey. He actually makes many in New York miss Milbury. I gotta think if he botches the Tavares situation he is gone but I have thought he was gone several times over the years.

They were close last year, barely missing the playoffs but it is possible that the window is closing fast. Tavares situation really needs addressed right the Heck now or they risk losing him at the end of the year for nothing. 

Archived