NHL Jerseys and General Concept Design Talk

Puck_Pun

9 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

I've been assured this helmet design isn't a meme

RDT_20211223_174610800818375582973513-min.jpg

Good, gawd...
Here is Steve Yzerman, trying to build a SERIOUS contender in Detroit....and the powers that be are allowing a &^%$ing "Pizza Pizza" guy on their helmets.
Can't blame Sam Gagner for that look on his face...

• 1 month later...
  • pilldoc unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

22/23 jerseys for the Sharks were released recently. I like the added stripes, and in general is a very throwback design. The removal of the orange piping has been met positively. 

Controversially they've moved to teal shorts. I like it, though I've seen many people be annoyed by it

Screenshot_20220909-132627_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

22/23 jerseys for the Sharks were released recently. I like the added stripes, and in general is a very throwback design. The removal of the orange piping has been met positively. 

Controversially they've moved to teal shorts. I like it, though I've seen many people be annoyed by it

Screenshot_20220909-132627_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I like those too. Getting rid of the thin orange stripes is not surprising as I never really understood it, expect that it came from the stick color... Like Colorado, they uniformized their color palette by removing the black for helmets, gloves and pants and replacing them with the primary color. This is still debatable as it gives less contrast to the jersey.

Also, they seem to have tweaked their numbers to rounded-styled ones.

• 1 month later...

The new 2022-2023 are out:

cut.jpg

My takes:

A+++: FLA, MIN, NYR, CGY.

Success: EDM, DAL, SJ, PIT, LA, VAN, SEA, WSH

Meh: WPG, TB, TOR, ANA, BUF, BOS, NSH, STL, AZ, CAR, CBJ, OTT, VGK, PHI, NJ, NYI

Fail: MTL (WTF with this non-sense powder blue?), DET (second fail, only a workmark with no logo sucks. And there's no black in the Wings' color palette), COL (this logo is dull and the colors belong to the wrong franchise. COL and NJ have the same Rockies' colors), CHI (dull as well).

Not that bad, but no big changes compared to the current jersey. White jerseys for this concept are quite meh.

I was more aware of the pants... Will they wear those early 80's long pants like the Whalers did ?

On the whole it's hard to find one that's really all that great. Either there's little that's different, like the flyers "let's take our away Jersey and make the stripe black", or it's kinda plain. 

I assume Detroit is recognising its long standing connection with the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise

I dislike every time Tampa Bay says "you know what looked good? That logo we made out of wordart" 

4 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

You guys like this? Yeesh. I get the reference, but it's still crap. 

FB_IMG_1666297301824.jpg

For a second i thought her wee wee was hanging out ...but she is just giving us the bird.

I get it.

Also looks like the offspring from the Chargers and Sharks consummation...

:beer: 

20 hours ago, Math said:

The new 2022-2023 are out:

cut.jpg

My takes:

A+++: FLA, MIN, NYR, CGY.

Success: EDM, DAL, SJ, PIT, LA, VAN, SEA, WSH

Meh: WPG, TB, TOR, ANA, BUF, BOS, NSH, STL, AZ, CAR, CBJ, OTT, VGK, PHI, NJ, NYI

Fail: MTL (WTF with this non-sense powder blue?), DET (second fail, only a workmark with no logo sucks. And there's no black in the Wings' color palette), COL (this logo is dull and the colors belong to the wrong franchise. COL and NJ have the same Rockies' colors), CHI (dull as well).

Question is: will their new moneymaking scheme be a success?  Probably not! 

I have 4 Flyers' jerseys hanging in my closet, don't wear a one.......

Actually I like this retro jersey from the Flyers.

Looks really good with the black breezers. 

I think the Vegas throwback is cool, made cooler by the fact it glows in the dark.

I like the Seals....er the Sharts® throwbacks

I like the Blues as well. I'm liking the asymmetrical font and the curviness of the overall designs.

The Lightning throwbacks are so bad they're great!

I dig the 'Cats alternate logo and powder blue sweater

Also, can the Wild just go back to that color scheme? please.

LA Kings- same...black and silver ? ugh. That throwback is awesome!

It remains subjective but I think there's a genral consensus on the Detroit and Chicago ones being awful.

At some point the RR concept will die as some teams are already running out of options. Too much is like not enough.

14 minutes ago, Math said:

It remains subjective but I think there's a genral consensus on the Detroit and Chicago ones being awful

I'd add the Leaves® @TropicalFruitGirl26 in there too, just because I can't really tell the difference between the current sweater and the throwback retro sweater. 

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Sharts®

Sharts huh?? I spit my coffee out reading that.

Sounds messy. And a change of under wear needed.

Maybe @J0e Th0rnton can shed some light on that being a nick name or something???

So i will go with that being a typo or a jab meaning you don't like the Sharks!!??!!

Any ways thanks for the laugh.

:D

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

So in this throwback thing, why are some teams going back to previous teams they were linked with (Wild-> North Stars colors, Devils->Rockies colors) but other teams aren't? Like why is Colorado also going back to the Rockies, even though they had nothing to do with the Rockies and were the relocated Nords? Why is Carolina ignoring their glorious Hartford Whalers origin? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

So in this throwback thing, why are some teams going back to previous teams they were linked with (Wild-> North Stars colors, Devils->Rockies colors) but other teams aren't? Like why is Colorado also going back to the Rockies, even though they had nothing to do with the Rockies and were the relocated Nords? Why is Carolina ignoring their glorious Hartford Whalers origin? 

I think it really depends on the specific point of view and the historical context. Carolina made a Whalers RR jersey and are already playing with their Whalers gear for one or two games per season: making another Whalers-themed jersey would have bben too much, reason why they went this dull Canes wordmark jersey. Colorado also did a Nordiques RR jersey, the other option would have been to take their barefoot alternate logo as the main crest for example. But taking the Rockies' colors is a fail ans doesn't make sense: Not the same and franchise. Another example is Winnipeg: they made clear that they won't use any of the Thrashers' legacy. Finally, Dallas and Phoenix are not very keen in going with North Stars, resp. Jets 1.0 colors, letting this to the Wild and Jets 2.0.

For Minnesota, even though the overall look is sharp, it's like a copy-paste of the first RR jersey in green version (the yellow numbers on the white layout was the only negative thing on the previous jersey) but if Minny wants to the past team tribute, then why not going with the Fighting Saints theme? Going again with the North Stars is redundant but you see there than it's only a marketing thing to make money because the North Stars color scheme remains very beautiful and popular.