NHL Jerseys and General Concept Design Talk

Puck_Pun

On 8/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

and more disappointingly never wore them in front of Wild fans.

Really? Well that's a disgrace considering it was the best RR jersey in the league. Other teams that had a white version at least managed to wore them in their arena while the visitor team switching to their dark jerseys.

NHL jersey ads reportedly arriving with 2022-23 season

nhl jersey ads
Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

•  

NHL jersey ads are reportedly coming in time for the 2022-23 season, according to Sportico’s Eben Novy-Williams and Scott Soshnick.

The league’s Board of Governors unanimously approved the idea and teams can now begin negotiating deals with interested sponsors. The patches will measure a 3 inches by 3.5 inches.

Mark J. Burns of Sports Business Journal reported in April that teams had started determining how much revenue could be generated by the ad patches before presenting the data to the league.

NBA jerseys have featured ads since 2017-18, a move that has reportedly generated over $150 million annually.

This was always coming

Ads have been a part of the NHL uniforms in some form for several years now. Most teams have a sponsor featured on their practice jerseys. For example, the Kings have a deal with McDonald’s while the Capitals have gone with a MedStar Health patch.

Helmet ads were approved for the 2020-21 season, and after initially being a one-year experiment, they’re here to stay. Teams were able to recoup over $100 million, according to Commissioner Gary Bettman, as they felt the financial squeeze brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The idea of jersey ads in the NHL was inevitable. (Former league chief operating officer John Collins said they were “coming and happening” in all sports back in 2014.) Bettman has previously said the league wouldn’t be the first to move in that direction, saying in 2015, “you’d probably have to drag me kicking and screaming, which would take a lot of money.”

Money always talks, and as Bettman stated in July, with the current financial state of the league, it was not an idea to be immediately dismissed.

“It’s something that makes good sense for us to be considering and looking at but certainly not for next season,” Bettman said. “Beyond that, I’m not prepared to predict but it’s something we’re looking at.”

There’s no word yet if NHL jerseys sold online and in stores will feature the sponsor patches. The replica and authentic jerseys you can purchase through the NBA and its teams do not have ads on them.

• Uggh... 1

In general, i am just disgusted by this...old school i guess and to me, NHL jerseys are sacred and should not be marked by sponsors...I understand the purpose behind it, revenue and all, however, it just does not sit right with me.

I'd be willing to soften my stance however, if a decent ad is put on a logo, such as WWE perhaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

In general, i am just disgusted by this...old school i guess and to me, NHL jerseys are sacred and should not be marked by sponsors...I understand the purpose behind it, revenue and all, however, it just does not sit right with me.

I'd be willing to soften my stance however, if a decent ad is put on a logo, such as WWE perhaps.

I'm disgusted with this too, cheapens hockey, the helmet ads were bad enough - NHL keeps finding ways to sell out👎

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

12 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

I'm disgusted with this too, cheapens hockey, the helmet ads were bad enough - NHL keeps finding ways to sell out👎

I was saddened to hear about this too, though not completely taken by surprise as I've been hearing the NHL would likely be leaning towards this for a few seasons now.
I guess if I want any NHL sweaters, I best get them before this becomes "the norm", as I honestly can't see myself purchasing sweaters that have company logos on them.

You just wait till feminine hygiene products or "family planning" companies want in on the action...........and offer the NHL DOUBLE what other companies are offering for the ad space on player sweaters...... oh yea......... that is gonna go over REAL well! 😄

Seriously though, I can only hope the NHL doesn't get to ludicrous levels the KHL is currently under when it comes to corporate ads on sweaters.
I mean, really..... are these pro sports uniforms? Or just really expensive ugly christmas sweaters?

KHL.thumb.jpg.5c2876512df7116b6f2efaa74e3afd55.jpg

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm kinda used to jumper ads as the AFL has had thenor a long time- though I detest those back panel ads, they're always ugly. If they remain as unintrusive as in the AFL I'll put up with it- though I'd prefer to be able to buy a "clean" jumper

Screenshot_20210819-084147_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

I'm kinda used to jumper ads as the AFL has had thenor a long time- though I detest those back panel ads, they're always ugly. If they remain as unintrusive as in the AFL I'll put up with it- though I'd prefer to be able to buy a "clean" jumper

Screenshot_20210819-084147_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Hopefully it'll be just a small skinny banner of words on back under the number like where the Bingle banner is in your picture but shorter rectangle, I'd hate anything with advertiser logos.

Anything on front even in corners like where the Jeep and AFL are above - it not too bad in those sweaters above because there no team logo unlike hockey.

The CFL ads on their jerseys are like the Jeep and AFL, and it not too bad either - but because hockey teams have big logos on fronts, anything that distracts from the team logo and the Captain and Assistant Captain letters are unacceptable for me.

Bettman likely had no choice but to do this ad thing like they do in soccer.  It will generate revenue for the NHL and its much needed after this Covid disaster.  

Well the NHL is now back with ESPN  So, who do you think the announcers will be?  I wonder if they may bring Gary Thorne back?  Him and Clement made a good pair.  He was then the Orioles announcer, my poor excuse of a baseball team that is in need of pitching desperately.  But Thorne did a good job while there.  His contract ended and it sounded like the problem was him traveling from California back to Baltimore.  But travel is an all around problem with Covid.  Not sure how it will unfold but the schedule is back to normal.  Lets hope it works out for the best.  And then there is the Olympics? 

On 8/18/2021 at 6:42 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

KHL.thumb.jpg.5c2876512df7116b6f2efaa74e3afd55.jpg

Do you remember those two guys on the left? 

For the rest I concur, european jerseys are an abomination. Not to send me flowers but my hometown team is the only one in Europe trying to remove those hideous ads out of their jersey by an overall rethinking of the current marketing and revenue approach (they played against the Flyers years ago in the global series). The result is quite neat in comparison (my infinite respect to the one who can find these two here):

20200803104713046.jpg

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

I guess ads this small aren't too bad, but still rather not have them all.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2198810

th?id=OIF.nKaywUi45Dud2ksq8DtTEw%26pid=A

I agree this isn't that bad...HOWEVER...

That is how it starts.
Next thing you know, NHL players will look like NASCAR drivers.

Remember how it was just an ad here and there on the boards in the rink?
Now they are plastered with them...same with the ice surface.

Yea....this is innocuous now, but I fear it won't stay that way long. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I agree this isn't that bad...HOWEVER...

That is how it starts.
Next thing you know, NHL players will look like NASCAR drivers.

Remember how it was just an ad here and there on the boards in the rink?
Now they are plastered with them...same with the ice surface.

Yea....this is innocuous now, but I fear it won't stay that way long. 

True enough☹️

NASCAR here we come. Reporter: "Big win. What made the difference?"

Player: "Great question, Al. First of all, I want to shout out to all the good folks at Buddy's Tires for keeping the team bus rolling, Bauer Skates, you guys rock! And Powerade. None of this could've happened without y'all."

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

The Devils' new third Jersey, designed by Martin Brodeur. The undebatable proof that talent doesn't necessarly translate into other fields.

A huge and major fail. Boring, dull, simplistic, and ugly. Maybe an attempt to pay tribute to the great KC Scouts hockey heritage or a terrible attempt to copy the awful Blackhawks alternates...  Why the hell paying $200+ for those 2000's baseball practice jersey ?

Too bad because the RR was a success and the vintage green/red version is not that bad either, not to mention that they do have a great logo. That's a massacre.

40 minutes ago, Math said:

The Devils' new third Jersey, designed by Martin Brodeur. The undebatable proof that talent doesn't necessarly translate into other fields.

A huge and major fail. Boring, dull, simplistic, and ugly. Maybe an attempt to pay tribute to the great KC Scouts hockey heritage or a terrible attempt to copy the awful Blackhawks alternates...  Why the hell paying $200+ for those 2000's baseball practice jersey ?

Too bad because the RR was a success and the vintage green/red version is not that bad either, not to mention that they do have a great logo. That's a massacre.

The thing I like about this is the word describes what the article of clothing is also.

it would be awesome if the pants said "Breezers".

There is no mistaking that that is indeed a Jersey.

I like it.

Hard to mess up red, black and white. 

What would be cool would be if this was the road kit, the same way the Orioles road kit says Baltimore in MLB.

I know that won't happen because reasons, but I guy can dream , right?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Stadium series jerseys. 

Lol, smashville.

FB_IMG_1638499248703.jpg

I like that these aren't "Retro". 

I love the Smashville and the guitar pick, good colors too. The font is unique, I really like the white numbers and the Pgh Steeler vibe.

Definitely a case where taste is in your mouth.

The Lightning kit is pretty cool too. Not really wild about the number font though, would like to see more of the "lightning bolt" for the serif, this feels like a rich person said, that's too much lightning tone it down a little.