NHL Jerseys and General Concept Design Talk

Puck_Pun

Are they doing this every year or two now? I think part of the reason  I don't bother buying any jerseys anymore, besides the fact that we haven't really had anyone whose name I would wear my back, is they continually change them. And they are often ugly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Ottawa had it right the first time, but they've gotten worse every time they change jerseys. Sometimes simpler is better.

Well, except for the Devils new one, which looks like they half-assed it. But at least they didn't mess with the logo. If they did the Prudential Center may have been burned down by Devils fans (all 13 of us).

I find the devil's logo to be well done. the move to black and red was good too, they could have kept the green as an accent color but it's hard to mess up red black and white.

I do art stuff occasionally for my job and a terrible boss I had once told me something of value and it had to do with logo design.

Logos: Simple is always better, it needs to fit and look good on a ball cap, it needs to look good in black and white...no gradients. 

it is amazing how few businesses adhere to that philosophy when it comes to creating their brand.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 10:04 PM, hf101 said:

I like the Vegas White jersey.

Same here, the White looks a lot better than the dark ones. The home jersey gives off a twinge of the old brutal Vancouver Canucks uni's in the arms, not nearly as worse shock wise...but it *just* seems like they could have come away with a nicer, cleaner colour combo. 

The new Wild jersey looks SWEET. I really like their colour matching. The one they have with Minnesota written across it is all green and white, that is the best sweater in hockey for my money. Straight forward, simple yet beautiful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:
  • 2c2c4b5e952d14527f5ff67a8a303daf

@Honest Bender  and @AlaskaFlyerFan

I too think the new sweater looks kinda "plain".

Below, I found these as concept ones on the internet...tellin ya, there are some real creative people out there.....NHL teams SHOULD try reaching out or hiring some of them, as I think the stuff your average jane or joe comes up with is better than the paid so-called 'professional designers' !!

Preds Concept 11.jpg Preds Concept 22.jpg

As you can see, both of these concept sets look pretty similar to the ones the Preds were using last season with the changes being mostly in lines and the sleeve areas.

For Preds fans, the Alt jersey of black n blue above may not sit well though.

Those are actually the Tampa Bay Lightning colors they USED to use, which sadly, I don't think the team will go back to.

But anyways, I thought these two sets were the best Nashville ones that the Preds WON'T be using.

5 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

I think it would sit just well since it's just an evolution of their previous third jersey... 

_JR29604_1.jpg

Doesn't that Jersey need some mustard yellow on it?  It looks too much like the Leafs, Lightning and Blue Jackets.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2017 at 9:30 PM, Puck_Pun said:

Low res I know. I was under the impression Ottawa were dumping the Roman logo in favour of the O logo. No huge changes that jump out at me, though I see the expected change for the Oilers is in there.

19396926_1538564332860382_1315148754015946793_n.jpg

What I find interesting is how teams essentially "swap" jerseys over time.

Since there are only so many color combinations that work, and only so many colors that teams will use (pink, purple, and brown will never be used for example), it means that new designs become the old designs of other franchises.

Example:

• Sabres -> Ducks
  • Whalers -> Canucks
  • Leafs -> Lightning
  • Knights -> Canucks
  • Flames -> Devils
  • etc..

:)

On 11/4/2017 at 4:16 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Total Leafs ripoff, but I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery.  :)

Not about jerseys so to speak but didn't know where else to put this so which would you want brought back...

I have to go with the Yotes one. I always liked that one.

Certainly don't bring back the Gorton fisherman....yuck!

null

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2017 at 4:11 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Not about jerseys so to speak but didn't know where else to put this so which would you want brought back...

I have to go with the Yotes one. I always liked that one.

Certainly don't bring back the Gorton fisherman....yuck!

null

image.jpeg

If I had to rank them, I'd say...

1. NYR

2. Islanders

3/4: Coyotes/Ducks (hate them both and hate both of those logos equally)

:)

Thread 

BUMP

Figured this thread could use some more use.

Updated the title for general hockey sweater talk as well as some concept designs and commentary for that as well.

Watching some of the Panthers-Red Wings game, and in looking over at the Panthers' jersey (the logo STILL looks like a soccer club one to me), the jersey design is kinda starting to grow on me, but I am still bothered by the 'shield' design.

Maybe that is what is making it look like an MLS club....maybe it's just me.

Panther Jersey.jpg

Found this concept below on the internet....an improvement perhaps? Still has a bit of the 'shield' design, but it isn't as pronounced.

I like the concept better.....

PantherConcept1.jpg