What is going on with the goalie?

Buffalo Rick

It appears Lehner was protected from wearing a new Vegas jersey.  Sucks. Why are they hell bent on this guy?  Why are they not on their f&cking knees begging the Kings to make a deal for Bishop or Pittsburgh for Fleury?  I do not  get it.  Does Housley know what this guy is like?  Wait until the puck is in the back of the net every time there is a shootout.  It piss's me off.  I have no idea if Ullmark is going to be a backup, fight for the top spot or be sent to hell (Rochester).   More likely Rochester.

17 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It appears Lehner was protected from wearing a new Vegas jersey.  Sucks. Why are they hell bent on this guy?  Why are they not on their f&cking knees begging the Kings to make a deal for Bishop or Pittsburgh for Fleury?  I do not  get it.  Does Housley know what this guy is like?  Wait until the puck is in the back of the net every time there is a shootout.  It piss's me off.  I have no idea if Ullmark is going to be a backup, fight for the top spot or be sent to hell (Rochester).   More likely Rochester.

I realize it's hard for you to keep track of goalies other than Miller but Bishop isn't with the Kings anymore HJ he's in Dallas now.

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well, perhaps if the Sabres were a more consistent scoring team, most games wouldn't GET to a shoot out in the first place, and you wouldn't have to worry about Lehner losing it there.

Besides, a shoot out is not a good way to evaluate a goalie.

Sure, in the end, Robin Lehner may not be the answer for Buffalo, but judge him on his games, not a skills competition.

Lots of good goalies aren't so hot in shoot outs....it's a completely different mindset and pace.

BTW...Lehner's numbers last season with an inconsistent Buffalo team in front of him?

2.68 GAA with a .920 sv%.

Not too shabby. That tells me that Lehner DOES stop lots of shots...and if the Sabres can cut down opponent scoring opportunities better, his GAA will improve.

Again, not saying he is the answer, but he also isn't the terrible goalie you seem to make him out to be.

I realize you think he is no Ryan Miller, but Buffalo could CERTAINLY do worse than have Lehner in net at this stage of their development.

Personally, I think Ullmark is the guy for your team...though he may still need another season or so in Rochester before giving him the reigns full time in Buffalo. He is still only 23. Goalies may not mature till they are about 26 or 27.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, perhaps if the Sabres were a more consistent scoring team, most games wouldn't GET to a shoot out in the first place, and you wouldn't have to worry about Lehner losing it there.

Besides, a shoot out is not a good way to evaluate a goalie.

Sure, in the end, Robin Lehner may not be the answer for Buffalo, but judge him on his games, not a skills competition.

Lots of good goalies aren't so hot in shoot outs....it's a completely different mindset and pace.

BTW...Lehner's numbers last season with an inconsistent Buffalo team in front of him?

2.68 GAA with a .920 sv%.

Not too shabby. That tells me that Lehner DOES stop lots of shots...and if the Sabres can cut down opponent scoring opportunities better, his GAA will improve.

Again, not saying he is the answer, but he also isn't the terrible goalie you seem to make him out to be.

I realize you think he is no Ryan Miller, but Buffalo could CERTAINLY do worse than have Lehner in net at this stage of their development.

Personally, I think Ullmark is the guy for your team...though he may still need another season or so in Rochester before giving him the reigns full time in Buffalo. He is still only 23. Goalies may not mature till they are about 26 or 27.

He just horrible in Shootouts and in this day and age, that just cannot happen.  You may prove to be right on Ullmark but I personally believe our goalie of the future, assuming Miller is not coming back, is not in a Sabre uniform yet.  They likely have the attitude of waiting for a better guy until the team is further developed and more playoff ready.  Especially concerning the D.  But there is still plenty of time for something to happen before the first puck drops

So does anyone here believe Ullmark can unseat Lehner as the starter?  If we were making the decision I know it would be a fast yes.  But we are not. Some Botterill and maybe Housley will have to put their heads together on that one.  I say send Lehner to Rochester, and let Ullmark start out as our goalie unless they can draft a guy that is very good or acquire one in a trade.  I would give up McCabe and Moulson to Vegas for Fleury.  Honestly I would

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So does anyone here believe Ullmark can unseat Lehner as the starter?  If we were making the decision I know it would be a fast yes.  But we are not. Some Botterill and maybe Housley will have to put their heads together on that one.  I say send Lehner to Rochester, and let Ullmark start out as our goalie unless they can draft a guy that is very good or acquire one in a trade.  I would give up McCabe and Moulson to Vegas for Fleury.  Honestly I would

Congratulations on making it through your post without mentioning Miller!

From watching Ullmark play this season with the Amerks, in my opinion he's not quite ready for FT duty. I don't think Lehner is tradable so I think the Sabres are stuck with him for another year. 

Lehner is going to get one more year to do it right, if he fails that will be the end of him. I believe that a lot of what hurt him was the god awful defense which should be improved with the additions of Nathan Beileau from Montreal and Euro import Viktor Antipin. Lehner was not THAT bad last year, a quick look at his stats show he was decent.

The Sabres are bringing back a former Sabre goalie, no not that one but Chad Johnson who served as a half time starter in Calgary last year. It is not official yet but it looks to be true, Johnson will be coming in to serve as a 1B. 

On 6/28/2017 at 6:28 PM, yave1964 said:

Lehner is going to get one more year to do it right, if he fails that will be the end of him. I believe that a lot of what hurt him was the god awful defense which should be improved with the additions of Nathan Beileau from Montreal and Euro import Viktor Antipin. Lehner was not THAT bad last year, a quick look at his stats show he was decent.

The Sabres are bringing back a former Sabre goalie, no not that one but Chad Johnson who served as a half time starter in Calgary last year. It is not official yet but it looks to be true, Johnson will be coming in to serve as a 1B. 

I did not hear this?  Hell, I would take Johnson as the starter.  What makes you think Luukkonen has no shot to win the job?

33 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I did not hear this?  Hell, I would take Johnson as the starter.  What makes you think Luukkonen has no shot to win the job?

A couple of things:

1) the Sabres are closing in on resigning Lehner to an extention and 

2) Luukonen is an 18 year old who is four or five years away. Nobody knows for certain if he is going to make it, a nice piece but looooooooooonnnnnngggggg time before we will know if he is NHL caliber.

20 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

A couple of things:

1) the Sabres are closing in on resigning Lehner to an extention and 

2) Luukonen is an 18 year old who is four or five years away. Nobody knows for certain if he is going to make it, a nice piece but looooooooooonnnnnngggggg time before we will know if he is NHL caliber.

At this stage of the Sabres' development, I think, if true, this is the best course of action for Buffalo with regards to Lehner.

I've been trying to tell HJ the same thing you did earlier in this thread: Lehner is NOT as bad as he thinks...though I am not a big fan of his and by no means will he likely ever be elite, but the defense in front of him made all the difference. And he still put up respectable numbers given what he had in front of him.

A short "show me" contract from the Sabres?

Excellent. Makes a LOT of sense.

Couple that with bringing in a guy like Chad Johnson, who always was a capable back up, but NOT a true starter, well, once again, the Sabres, in addition to upgrading the defense, seem to have got it right with regards to the goaltending.

And like you said before...if Lehner really doesn't work out, then both he and the organization can go their separate ways and Buffalo can continue the search while their young goalies develop some more.

The Sabres certainly could have done worse than re-sign Lehner on a short deal.

They could have ended up with Jekyl and Hyde Elliot...or overpaid for Bernier....or given Chad Johnson the STARTING job... :VeryCool:

On 6/22/2017 at 10:52 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Why? That makes no sense! You are going from bad to worse! You are better off with Bishop if you could pry him from Dallas! (Good luck with that!)

43 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

You're better off with Bishop if you could pry him from Dallas! (Good luck with that!)

Aside from the fact that Bishop is already locked into Dallas (no they aren't trading him....he looks like absolute gold for them after having Lehtonen/Niemi that last few seasons), Bishop, even if he were a UFA, never really was an option for a team like Buffalo.

Sure, Buffalo has a nice young up n coming core...but Ben Bishop is at a point in his career where he needs to win NOW.

The Sabres aren't ready to win now.

I am sure he would have stayed on with Tampa Bay, but his cost and the Bolts' decision to go with Vasilevskiy made that impossible.

A few other teams would have been a fit for Bishop as well.

Dallas made the best sense, as I believe that with a bit more defense and a good goalie, THEY have a shot to win now....and their offense can be downright deadly when everyone is contributing.

For all the criticism he receives, I think Buffalo is doing things right by having Lehner in there while they wait n see what they have in their pipeline.

At this point for the Sabres, Lehner is a better fit for them than Bishop, MAF, or, dare I say it, Ryan Miller ever would be at THEIR stage of their careers.

Much like the Flyers, the Sabres shouldn't be sinking a bunch of money into an established veteran goaltender until they are ready to win NOW.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:32 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Lehner is NOT as bad as he thinks

He's not as bad as HF thinks, but I don't think he's that good.  He was not good in Ottawa, and I've seen nothing in Buffalo to indicate otherwise.

That said, he's sufficient for this stage in their development and Johnson is a nice move for a backup.   They've made themselves better, I think.

Time will tell, but they should be in the playoff conversation.  I'm not thinking really high seed or anything, but lower seed anyway, or just missing.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

He's not as bad as HF thinks, but I don't think he's that good.  He was not good in Ottawa, and I've seen nothing in Buffalo to indicate otherwise.

That said, he's sufficient for this stage in their development and Johnson is a nice move for a backup.   They've made themselves better, I think.

Time will tell, but they should be in the playoff conversation.  I'm not thinking really high seed or anything, but lower seed anyway, or just missing.

And enter Chad.  Yikes.  He is actually excited to be here.  I say get Luukkenen out there and lets see what we have?

55 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And enter Chad.  Yikes.  He is actually excited to be here.  I say get Luukkenen out there and lets see what we have?

I get the impatience, but the very last thing you want to do is be a Coyotes fan. The next to last thing you want to do is stick an 18 year old in an NHL crease. Seriously, you'd destroy him. You won't see him for 3-4 years. Be patient. That's about the time the Sabres will be ready for prime time (that isn't to say they won't be making noise before that). 

In the meantime, hope that Lehner surprises both of us. 

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I get the impatience, but the very last thing you want to do is be a Coyotes fan. The next to last thing you want to do is stick an 18 year old in an NHL crease. Seriously, you'd destroy him. You won't see him for 3-4 years. Be patient. That's about the time the Sabres will be ready for prime time (that isn't to say they won't be making noise before that). 

In the meantime, hope that Lehner surprises both of us. 

No way are our fans waiting 3 more years for a shot at the post season.  We have enough talent to at least be in the mix.  I believe that.  i see teams like Montreal making some very questionable moves.  

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No way are our fans waiting 3 more years for a shot at the post season.  We have enough talent to at least be in the mix.  I believe that.  i see teams like Montreal making some very questionable moves.  

Prime Time didn't mean playoffs. It meant Cup run.  Good grief. Take deep breaths, slow down, and read what's written. You're making it really hard to say positive things about your team. 

Yeah, Montreal is doing dopey stuff. I agree. 

So are the Rangers. 

The Devils are suddenly better, though. 

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Prime Time didn't mean playoffs. It meant Cup run.  Good grief. Take deep breaths, slow down, and read what's written. You're making it really hard to say positive things about your team. 

Yeah, Montreal is doing dopey stuff. I agree. 

So are the Rangers. 

The Devils are suddenly better, though. 

I agree with you but for some reason I read one major network thinks the Rangers will be good?  I know they have Lundquist. But they do not have enough offense IMO. I believe the Sabres have more offensive weapons than the Rangers.  

6 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I agree with you but for some reason I read one major network thinks the Rangers will be good?  I know they have Lundquist. But they do not have enough offense IMO. I believe the Sabres have more offensive weapons than the Rangers.  

The Sabres might actually.  Some of the network guys are delusional over Shattenkirk. I think their window is pretty much closed. They'll be good enough to be in the playoffs yet, but I don't like the team (the Rangers, I mean). 

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The Sabres might actually.  Some of the network guys are delusional over Shattenkirk. I think their window is pretty much closed. They'll be good enough to be in the playoffs yet, but I don't like the team (the Rangers, I mean). 

I do not like this Rangers team much either.  It will be interesting to see Ruff and Vignault and see if they can co exist?  Lundquist is a top notch goalie however.  That is the one thing they have over both of our teams.  He is a monster of a goalie.

Wait, Is Shattenkirk a Ranger?   I thought he want to someone else?

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not like this Rangers team much either.  It will be interesting to see Ruff and Vignault and see if they can co exist?  Lundquist is a top notch goalie however.  That is the one thing they have over both of our teams.  He is a monster of a goalie.

Wait, Is Shattenkirk a Ranger?   I thought he want to someone else?

Yeah. Shattenkirk is a Rag. 6 years, $6.65M per year. 

I'm not impressed. And McDonagh, JT Miller, Hayes, and Grabner are all UFAs next summer. So keeping their people may be difficult.  They just signed Pavalec as a backup, too.  I just don't like it. 

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah. Shattenkirk is a Rag. 6 years, $6.65M per year. 

I'm not impressed. And McDonagh, JT Miller, Hayes, and Grabner are all UFAs next summer. So keeping their people may be difficult.  They just signed Pavalec as a backup, too.  I just don't like it. 

Make sure and cheer for the Sabres in Winter Classic

Archived