What is going on with the goalie?

Buffalo Rick

On 7/8/2017 at 0:09 PM, FriendlyGuitarist said:

You guys got Johnson back. I actually didn't mind him as a Flame and kind of hoped he would come back to Calgary. Johnson will do well for you guys.

Well his words are "I have unfinished business in Buffalo and am looking forward to it".  So he is going to give Lehner a run for his money.  I hope someone does.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 7:14 PM, AJgoal said:

A ONE YEAR DEAL!!!!!!   What does that tell you.  It tells me he is here long enough to get the Finnish kid ready for the big leagues.  Hasek was a Czech.  This kid from Finland could be the next Hasek?  Or they may figure on picking up someone next year?  But Lehner is not the guy long term as far as I am concerned and Chad may beat him out for the starting role.  I actually have more faith in Johnson than Lehner.  Miller's two year deal in Disneyland makes it unlikely he ever wears the Blue and Gold again.  But when all the books have been written, he is going to be remembered as a Sabre.

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

A ONE YEAR DEAL!!!!!!   What does that tell you.  It tells me he is here long enough to get the Finnish kid ready for the big leagues.  Hasek was a Czech.  This kid from Finland could be the next Hasek?  Or they may figure on picking up someone next year?  But Lehner is not the guy long term as far as I am concerned and Chad may beat him out for the starting role.  I actually have more faith in Johnson than Lehner.  Miller's two year deal in Disneyland makes it unlikely he ever wears the Blue and Gold again.  But when all the books have been written, he is going to be remembered as a Sabre.

On a one year deal, HJ, you may be right...it may very well be one of those things where management has said, "Just give him one year till the younger guys are ready".

However, consider this:

It isn't uncommon for teams to give guys one year deals as "show me" contracts.

Lighting and Wild have certainly done that many times with their players, as have many other teams.

If Buffalo is giving Lehner a one year deal, instead of telling "Look Bud, it's your last year, after that you are gone" (that would be HORRIBLE for player morale BTW...and a pretty crappy management method), what they are likely telling Lehner is, "Look, we want you to be our guy, but we want to see more out of you...here is a one year deal, show us you are our number one, and the job and a big payday is yours"

Basically, they are trying to motivate, while at the same time, make a final evaluation on Robin Lehner, before potentially committing fully to him.

Again, you may be right...maybe this is just to keep the prospects simmering (or they find someone else), but you can bet that if Sabres management is smart (they are, aren't they?), they are using this more as a motivating tool....and if Lehner doesn't show marked improvement, or at least meet some sort of standard management is looking for, then they can FAIRLY say to Lehner at the end of the year, "We are going to go in a different direction".

On 7/30/2017 at 2:19 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

On a one year deal, HJ, you may be right...it may very well be one of those things where management has said, "Just give him one year till the younger guys are ready".

However, consider this:

It isn't uncommon for teams to give guys one year deals as "show me" contracts.

Lighting and Wild have certainly done that many times with their players, as have many other teams.

If Buffalo is giving Lehner a one year deal, instead of telling "Look Bud, it's your last year, after that you are gone" (that would be HORRIBLE for player morale BTW...and a pretty crappy management method), what they are likely telling Lehner is, "Look, we want you to be our guy, but we want to see more out of you...here is a one year deal, show us you are our number one, and the job and a big payday is yours"

Basically, they are trying to motivate, while at the same time, make a final evaluation on Robin Lehner, before potentially committing fully to him.

Again, you may be right...maybe this is just to keep the prospects simmering (or they find someone else), but you can bet that if Sabres management is smart (they are, aren't they?), they are using this more as a motivating tool....and if Lehner doesn't show marked improvement, or at least meet some sort of standard management is looking for, then they can FAIRLY say to Lehner at the end of the year, "We are going to go in a different direction".

I would say that Chad Johnson has an equal shot at the starting job, and I would expect much of the games being played with them alternating.  I do not like what I see from Lehner on breakaway situations and shootouts.  He simply does not know how to play these situations, and certainly not even close to the quality Miller brought us.  Well he is a Duck and I am not resigned to the fact at his age he is never coming back.  He signed for 2 years in Anaheim.  They should be a playoff team.  And a top contender for the West even though they are not my own pick to come out of there.  The East is a bit more open IMO for the lower seeds.  

Archived