2017-18 free agents class

yave1964

With all of the intrigue with the Las Vegas Knights about to hold their expansion draft tonight and the trading frenzy that will ensue, followed in two nights by the NHL amateur draft followed a week later by the free agent frenzy, a nerd like myself is even in overload but still I cannot get enough. god I love this time of year.

The last two years the free agency kickoff day (July first) has been a bit of a bust for the most part, sound and fury but not much action but this year with McPhee and the Knightsd shaking and stirring the pot the next ten days will be monumental. They better be damnit after the last couple of snoozefests.

The only drawback is the UFA this year is weak to put it mildly. Radulov is the best forward, either he or Oshie, both are talking of resigning with their original teams. Shattenkirk is the top defenseman but he is a bit tainted after a bad experience in Washington. After them it gets thin quick, the aging Thornton and Marleau, Radim Vrbata, Patrick Eaves, Vanek, Gagner and Bonino. All nice useful players, nothing to get the blood pressure up if your team signs them or not. I am hoping that there are lots of trades to keep it interesting. Today I took a look at next years free agent class and already I am making plans to be on my sofa come July first with no wife/kids/grandkids allowed in until evening. Some of the highlights:

CAREY PRICE. Price says he is confident something will get worked out with Montreal but if not, wow would that be huge.

JOHN TAVARES. Need a 1C just entering his prime to stir your offense? Bring your checkbook.

MARTIN JONES. In case Price does resign in Montreal drop the truck full of money here.

RICK NASH AND THE SEDIN TWINS. Aging stars looking for a ring with plenty to offer.

MIKKO KOIVU

MIKE GREEN

EVANDER KANE

JAMES NEAL

PATRIC HORNQVIST

JVR

CRAIG ANDERSON

CAM FOWLER

JOHN CARLSON

CAM ATKINSON

MARK STONE

KYLE TURRIS

And many more very useful solid players. The best free agent class in many a year even granted that a percentage of them will resign before next offseason.

If you took this years free agents and formed a team out of the best players they would probably finish behind the Knights in the standings. If you took next years free agency class and formed a team they very well might win the Stanley cup. Already looking forward to July first 2018. It is gonna be a pip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived