Dave Tippett, Coyotes part ways

yave1964

Strange days in the desert....

Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway announced that long time coach Dave Tippett was parting ways with the team last night sighting 'philosophical differences'.

"On behalf of the entire Coyotes organization, I would like to sincerely thank Tip for all of his hard work and the many contributions he made to our organization," team owner Andrew Barroway said. "Tip is a man of high character and we are very grateful for his leadership during his tenure as our head coach. Ultimately, we have some philosophical differences on how to build our team. Therefore we mutually agreed that it is in everyone's best interest to have a coaching change in order to move our franchise forward."

I am not sure if that means 'your fired' or if it means "I quit". Tippett took over the team when they were about five minutes from bankruptcy back in 2009, no owner, the league running things, he and long time friend Don Maloney who was the GM ran the team on a shoestring and managed to keep it in place in Arizona. Maloney was relieved last year and replaced by wunderkind GM John Chayka.

Tippett had four years remaining on his deal but will not be part of the organization as a mutual settlement was reached to terminate his contract.

Good coach. Bubble coaches everywhere must be nervous now seeing that he is available.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway announced that long time coach Dave Tippett was parting ways with the team last night sighting 'philosophical differences'.

"On behalf of the entire Coyotes organization, I would like to sincerely thank Tip for all of his hard work and the many contributions he made to our organization," team owner Andrew Barroway said. "Tip is a man of high character and we are very grateful for his leadership during his tenure as our head coach. Ultimately, we have some philosophical differences on how to build our team. Therefore we mutually agreed that it is in everyone's best interest to have a coaching change in order to move our franchise forward."

I am not sure if that means 'your fired' or if it means "I quit". Tippett took over the team when they were about five minutes from bankruptcy back in 2009, no owner, the league running things, he and long time friend Don Maloney who was the GM ran the team on a shoestring and managed to keep it in place in Arizona. Maloney was relieved last year and replaced by wunderkind GM John Chayka.

Tippett had four years remaining on his deal but will not be part of the organization as a mutual settlement was reached to terminate his contract.

Good coach. Bubble coaches everywhere must be nervous now seeing that he is available.

Rick Tocchet will be the next coach...

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I dunno, Tippet really hasn't won anything in Arizona.  Firing him the evening before the NHL draft probably wasn't the best timing here, but that probably means he wasn't onboard with the direction Barroway is planning to go with this team.  I'm curious to see where he goes with this as I would expect the plan is to go with a high tempo style of coaching.

Interesting.  

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I dunno, Tippet really hasn't won anything in Arizona.  

Sure, but have you looked at the roster?

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Firing him the evening before the NHL draft probably wasn't the best timing here,

Better than firing your GM and entire scouting staff the day after the draft...

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

but that probably means he wasn't onboard with the direction Barroway is planning to go with this team.  I'm curious to see where he goes with this as I would expect the plan is to go with a high tempo style of coaching.

Interesting.  

I'm not sure Barroway has a direction. I've seen rumblings that Barroway doesn't have the financial chops to support the team on his own, the buyout not withstanding.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think this was an owner decision, but is any of this in part due to philosophical differences between a (presumably) old school coach and a young analytics-y GM?

Actually, Tippett isn't really *that* old school:

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/4/13/2941077/dave-tippett-defense-mark-fistric-matt-niskanen

Tippett likes to force chip and chase when he does not trust a player and does not let his offensive players he does not trust show their skills as much as Ownership would like methinks.

Very good coach, but I think they are at the point where they need to try something new.

Paul Maurice is the guy who should be fired next. The amount of bench minors and penalties coming out of Winnipeg are sick, but at least fire your PP coach since you have all that talent and use a stupid PP system that undermines skill.

I was waiting for this dime to drop. Tippet's teams are based on staying in your lane, being responsible in all areas of the ice. The prospects that are about to hit the Yotes are free wheeling and exciting. They need a more up tempo coach, one that can cash in on speed mismatches. Not a knock on Tippet, but the roster evolved into something that should not be constrained by his system.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived