Welcome to the Flyers, Nolan Patrick (1st round, 2nd Overall)

AJgoal

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

At least the only saving grace with "Fat Balloon" was as least the Flyers did NOT originally draft him .......that honor goes to the Sharks .....

Yeah Sharks could of had Scott Niedermeyer but passed...and he went to the Devils...whom got the pick from the Leafs!!!

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Every team in the league passed on Letang...including the Pens who took Michael Gergen (0 NHL games) before him.

That was the same year the Flyers did NOT have a pick RD 2 (Neal / Stasny) because Homer believed in trading away 2nd Round picks.  Also they traded away #81 and #89 in the 3rd round.  Besides Letang, they could have had Quick and/or Bishop.  They did however did have the very last pick in RD 3 at #91.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

That was the same year the Flyers did NOT have a pick RD 2

This was the norm for many years. Both Clarke and Holmgren had an unhealthy aversion to second round picks it seemed.

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This was the norm for many years. Both Clarke and Holmgren had an unhealthy aversion to second round picks it seemed

I know ...frustrating wasn't it.  IMO, this team could have re-stocked the farm with quality picks instead of always giving them away in a win now mentality.

Here is a list of 2nd Rounders from 2009 through 2017.  What a difference between Hexy and Homer.

Isaac Ratcliffe (C) Canada Canada Philadelphia Flyers (from Arizona)1 Guelph Storm (OHL)

Pascal Laberge (C) Canada Canada Philadelphia Flyers (from Winnipeg)3 Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
Carter Hart (G) Canada Canada Philadelphia Flyers Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Wade Allison (RW) Canada Canada Philadelphia Flyers (from Chicago)12 Tri-City Storm (USHL)

No 2nd Round Pick
due to trade with Islanders for MacDonald  

Nicolas Aube-Kubel (RW)
Canada Canada Philadelphia Flyers Val-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)

Robert Hagg (D) Sweden Sweden Philadelphia Flyers MODO (SHL)

Anthony Stolarz (G)  United States Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa via Phoenix and Columbus)4 Corpus Christi IceRays (NAHL)

56 No Pick - pick to Arizona in trade for Dan Carcillo (Tampa pick Kucherov at #58)

59 No pick - multiple trades of pick, origainally with LA. Wild pick Jason Zucker with this pick

No pick - trade  with Tampa.  Tampa takes Richard Panik  

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Here is a list of 2nd Rounders from 2009 through 2017.  What a difference between Hexy and Homer.

Stark contrast. Wait til Carter Hart is our starting goalie, then it becomes starker!

Here is same chart. I just cleaned up the formatting ......

Isaac Ratcliffe (C) Canada  Philadelphia Flyers (from Arizona)1 Guelph Storm (OHL)

Pascal Laberge (C) Canada Philadelphia Flyers (from Winnipeg)3 Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
Carter Hart (G) Canada Philadelphia Flyers Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Wade Allison (RW) Canada  Philadelphia Flyers (from Chicago)12 Tri-City Storm (USHL)

No Pick

Nicolas Aube-Kubel (RW)
Canada Philadelphia Flyers Val-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)

Robert Hagg (D) Sweden Philadelphia Flyers MODO (SHL)

Anthony Stolarz (G)  U.S Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa) Corpus Christi IceRays (NAHL)

56 No Pick       

59 No Pick      

No Pick      

2015: No pick due to trade with Islanders for MacDonald

2011: No Pick - pick to Arizona in trade for Dan Carcillo (Tampa pick Kucherov at #58)

2010: No pick - multiple trades of pick, origainally with LA. Wild pick Jason Zucker with this pick

2009: No pick - trade with Tampa.  Tampa takes Richard Panik

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No 2nd Round Pick

due to trade with Islanders for MacDonald

The gift that keeps on giving...could of had Brandon Carlo with that pick and add to the already sick depth of their blueline...

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The gift that keeps on giving...could of had Brandon Carlo with that pick and add to the already sick depth of their blueline...

my thoughts EXACTLY ..... tell me again why Homer traded for this guy???  and then to give him that hideous contract on top of that????

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Here is same chart. I just cleaned up the formatting ......

Isaac Ratcliffe (C) Canada  Philadelphia Flyers (from Arizona)1 Guelph Storm (OHL)

Pascal Laberge (C) Canada Philadelphia Flyers (from Winnipeg)3 Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
Carter Hart (G) Canada Philadelphia Flyers Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Wade Allison (RW) Canada  Philadelphia Flyers (from Chicago)12 Tri-City Storm (USHL)

No Pick

Nicolas Aube-Kubel (RW)
Canada Philadelphia Flyers Val-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)

Robert Hagg (D) Sweden Philadelphia Flyers MODO (SHL)

Anthony Stolarz (G)  U.S Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa) Corpus Christi IceRays (NAHL)

56 No Pick       

59 No Pick      

No Pick      

2015: No pick due to trade with Islanders for MacDonald

2011: No Pick - pick to Arizona in trade for Dan Carcillo (Tampa pick Kucherov at #58)

2010: No pick - multiple trades of pick, origainally with LA. Wild pick Jason Zucker with this pick

2009: No pick - trade with Tampa.  Tampa takes Richard Panik

No 2nd in 2008.

No 2nd in 2005

No 2nd in 2004

No 2nd in 2003

No 2nd in 2002

No 2nd in 2001

No 2nd in 2000

No 2nd in 1999

No 2nd in 1996

No 2nd in 1994

No 2nd in 1991

it's ridiculous how little value this franchise puts on that pick.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No 2nd in 2008.

No 2nd in 2005

No 2nd in 2004

No 2nd in 2003

No 2nd in 2002

No 2nd in 2001

No 2nd in 2000

No 2nd in 1999

No 2nd in 1996

No 2nd in 1994

No 2nd in 1991

7 years in a row! Maybe the Flyers brass was reading this board (and its predecessor) and also just have no idea where hockey players come from? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

8 hours ago, phlfly said:

Sarcasm . I understand you don't give me credit. I'm just like any other Flyers fan started disbelieve that is parade can happen. We are remembering Lindros, Flyers were good with him, but could not get ultimate prize. Also it's like always all Flyers nation is rejoices any time trade or high pick, it looked like cup is coming , but the realty is to exit in first round or no playoffs. 

Remember Alexandre Daigle ?? Number 1 pick where is guy now ?

I'm just talking about Flyers organization and their sense to select right guy in draft or trade. It seems to me never been right. 

Also another one second pick - Pat Falloon  

In other hand organization like Boston, Chitown or Penns!

No actually, it was NOT scarcasm. You spotted some things that were troublesome in G's game when he was scoring....now the scoring has gone and the same problems remain. It was a legit compliment. You saw stuff we did not.

2015 was Provorov's draft year. The Flyers also had a 2nd from Chicago that year, but that was packaged with the 29th to move up and draft Travis Konecny. Not exactly sad that they didn't have any 2nds that year because they got two great players in the first.

37 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

2015 was Provorov's draft year. The Flyers also had a 2nd from Chicago that year, but that was packaged with the 29th to move up and draft Travis Konecny. Not exactly sad that they didn't have any 2nds that year because they got two great players in the first.

Correct .. I missed that ...here are the official trades as per wikipedia ....

1st Round:

24 Travis Konecny (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Philadelphia Flyers (from Nashville via Toronto)5 Ottawa 67's (OHL)

The Nashville Predators' first-round pick went to the Philadelphia Flyers as the result of a trade on June 26, 2015 that sent Tampa Bay’s first-round pick in 2015 (29th overall) and Chicago’s second-round pick in 2015 (61st overall) to Toronto in exchange for this pick.[19]

Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on February 15, 2015 that sent Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli to Nashville in exchange for Olli Jokinen, Brendan Leipsic and this pick.[20]
29 Gabriel Carlsson (D) 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Columbus Blue Jackets (from Tampa Bay via Philadelphia and Toronto)8 Linkopings HC (SHL)

The Tampa Bay Lightning's first-round pick went to the Columbus Blue Jackets as the result of a trade on June 26, 2015 that sent Toronto’s second-round pick in 2015 (34th overall) and Philadelphia’s third-round pick in 2015 (68th overall) to Toronto in exchange for this pick.[19]

Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on June 26, 2015 that sent Nashville’s first-round pick in 2015 (24th overall) to Philadelphia in exchange for Chicago’s second-round pick in 2015 (61st overall) and this pick.[19]
Philadelphia previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on March 2, 2015 that sent Braydon Coburn to Tampa Bay in exchange for Radko Gudas, a third-round pick in 2015 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[24] The condition – Philadelphia will receive the Lightning's first-round draft pick in 2015 if it is not the first overall selection – was converted on March 30, 2015 when Tampa Bay qualified for the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs ensuring that this pick could not be a lottery selection.[25]
37 Brandon Carlo (D) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Boston Bruins (from Philadelphia via NY Islanders)5 Tri-City Americans (WHL)

The Philadelphia Flyers' second-round pick went to the Boston Bruins as the result of a trade on October 4, 2014 that sent Johnny Boychuk to New York in exchange for a second-round pick in 2016, a conditional third-round pick in 2015 and this pick.[31]

The Islanders previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade March 4, 2014 that sent Andrew MacDonald to Philadelphia in exchange for Matt Mangene, a third-round pick in 2014 and this pick.[32]
61 Jeremy Bracco (RW) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Toronto Maple Leafs (from Chicago via Philadelphia)21 U.S. NTDP (USHL)

The Chicago Blackhawks’ second-round pick went to the Toronto Maple Leafs as the result of a trade on June 26, 2015 that Nashville’s first-round pick in 2015 (24th overall) to Philadelphia in exchange for Tampa Bay’s first-round pick in 2015 (29th overall) and this pick.[19]

Philadelphia previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on February 27, 2015 that sent Kimmo Timonen to Chicago in exchange for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2016 and this pick.[47]

Got all of that!!! ;)

Bottom line...like it was mentioned above...prior to the Hexy Regime, the Flyers treated 2nd round picks like the ugly step child.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

No 2nd in 2008.

No 2nd in 2005

No 2nd in 2004

No 2nd in 2003

No 2nd in 2002

No 2nd in 2001

No 2nd in 2000

No 2nd in 1999

No 2nd in 1996

No 2nd in 1994

No 2nd in 1991

@Podein25

@flyercanuck

OMG ...I just went back to 2009 .... I did not realize how dire the situation is.  And fans want to know why we didn't have good prospects in the pipeline.....that says it all right there.  As I said before....this organization wants to how it got so bad...take a goos solid look in the mirror.  This was all self induced!

802b60f66bb914d0597ea61ac5291a9a.gif

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@Podein25

@flyercanuck

OMG ...I just went back to 2009 .... I did not realize how dire the situation is.  And fans want to know why we didn't have good prospects in the pipeline.....that says it all right there.  As I said before....this organization wants to how it got so bad...take a goos solid look in the mirror.  This was all self induced!

802b60f66bb914d0597ea61ac5291a9a.gif

this is reason I posted dozen posts back. I hope we got better scouter that guy will be a real deal and will not trade like it was in past. Listen we trade Peter Forsbeg, Zubrus, Dennis Seidenberg and many others

@phlfly

so to me the problem isn't the scouting. the scouts find players...it's giving those players the time and space to become good NHL players. 

And Forsberg was traded for Lindros at the time he was the "next ONE" .

with the 20/15 clarity of hindsight, maybe the Flyers shouldn't have made that trade. Personally, I enjoyed watching LIndros bull his way through the league for the 5-7 years he was on top of his game.  There was nothing like watching guys bounce off of him or seeing him rag-doll some knuckle head who tried to run him or his line mates...dude was fun to watch.

41 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@phlfly

so to me the problem isn't the scouting. the scouts find players...it's giving those players the time and space to become good NHL players. 

And Forsberg was traded for Lindros at the time he was the "next ONE" .

with the 20/15 clarity of hindsight, maybe the Flyers shouldn't have made that trade. Personally, I enjoyed watching LIndros bull his way through the league for the 5-7 years he was on top of his game.  There was nothing like watching guys bounce off of him or seeing him rag-doll some knuckle head who tried to run him or his line mates...dude was fun to watch.

I'll go further than that. If it wasn't for Lindros, i would not have become a Flyers fan. I'm not from the region. I'm not even Anerican. The number of Flyers fans up here ranks somewhere between few to virtually non existent. 

Players like Lindros have an appeal that goes beyond professional success. As great a player as Forsberg was, he did not have the same level of impact. 

i'm older now and I appreciate the game on a much greater level, but there's no denying the importance of star power to a franchise, even if they don't win the big prize.

Where would the caps be without Ovechkin? A similar situation is brewing now in Edmonton. McDavid could play only five seasons and put up ridiculous numbers but never win a cup. It wouldn't matter. His star power alone will make him an insanely valuable player to the franchise for years to come. 

Hey i know it's the running joke here about the Flyer's medical staff and all...rightfully so i get it.

However doesn't anyone else here find it strange that with all the poking and prodding that Patrick had endured from the many team examining him it, the Flyer's staff found his second hernia that had went undetected (which is what this other surgery was to fix) and had been causing him issues this past season??

I do.

Sounds like a win for Flyers medical team....

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey i know it's the running joke here about the Flyer's medical staff and all...rightfully so i get it.

However doesn't anyone else here find it strange that with all the poking and prodding that Patrick had endured from the many team examining him it, the Flyer's staff found his second hernia that had went undetected (which is what this other surgery was to fix) and had been causing him issues this past season??

I do.

Sounds like a win for Flyers medical team....

I'm not a doctor, but it's my impression that sports hernias can be tricky, relatively easy to miss one through x-ray or MRI and even during surgery. 

So you may be right. Or they got lucky.

9 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not a doctor, but it's my impression that sports hernias can be tricky, relatively easy to miss one through x-ray or MRI and even during surgery. 

So you may be right. Or they got lucky.

Sure. But at least it is positive for a change besides it could be...

BREAKING NEWS: Nolan Patrick sidelined for 8 weeks due to hernia surgery for an issue missed in the pre draft screening!!!

I'll take it!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure. But at least it is positive for a change besides it could be...

BREAKING NEWS: Nolan Patrick sidelined for 8 weeks due to hernia surgery for an issue missed in the pre draft screening!!!

I'll take it!

Yeah for sure.

I'm still concerned about his injury history though. I don't think he's played an injury free season since he was 13 or 14.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm still concerned about his injury history though

No more than i would about anyone else playing a contact sport.

It's a man's game injuries will happen and that can be said for everyone.

Hell we see guy get hurt in baseball on a pop fly. So no worries for me.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fair enough. I've played the sport for 40 years, so I get that. But some players get injured more often than others. And he seems to be in that category.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Baseball considers a blister an injury. :IDunnoSmiley:

Archived