• Last Reply

YES FINALLY THE SOFTY IS OUTTA HERE!!!!

Acquired:
Brayden Schenn

Acquired:
Jori Lehtera
27th pick
2018 conditional first round pick

Damn I had a feeling, shoot I should play the lottery now!

I have to agree with Bob McKenzie that cap relief has to be part of this gig.  Here is Lehtera

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/st-louis-blues/jori-lehtera-15442/

Here is Schenn:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brayden-schenn

So we save about $800K a year and lop off Schenn in 19-20....so that one year is the kicker unless lehtera goes early. Filpulla after next year heads out...This team gets younger and less cap burdened. 

Terrible trade.  Sorry.  I'm officially done with Hextall.  The kid they selected wasn't even a first round prospect.  The pick is top 10 protected next year, which is supposed to be a good draft.  No way the Blues finish in the top 10.  Really?  Trading a producing player for an 29 year old yet to save $800k on the cap and one year who had 7G and 22PTS last year?  Sorry.  Not a fan of this trade and I'm not even a Schenn fan.

I know some Flyers fans round here have gone sour on Brayden Schenn, but I agree with the post about this being about cap relief.

Schenn has been a much more productive player than Lehtera and the ONLY areas where Lehtera might, MIGHT mind you, have an edge, is as a defensive forward.

That said, I really never considered B.Schenn a huge defensive liability, though he certainly was far from very good in that area.

Still though, Schenn could be counted on to produce and he had a knack for getting goals in key moments for a Flyers team that was otherwise offensive and defensively challenged.

I know Philly has a long term plan in place, I know they want and are going young and cap space is at a premium, but IMO, today, the Flyers just got a bit weaker with established players while the Blues, unfortunately, got stronger with the addition of Schenn.

The don't even need cap relief.  They are under the cap and have a lot of cost controlled players coming up.  $800k is cap relief?  Really?  I don't buy the cap relief spin.

Wait...Schenn is $5.125 hit and this guy is $4.7m.  That's a savings of $425,000, right?  How is this cap savings?

Btw, Blues fans love this.  Simply because they got rid of Lehtera.

Tells you all you need to know.

I hope I am wrong, but this is pathetic.

Someone please tell me the rationale?

Just now, elmatus said:

This may not be over yet folks. Adding lehtera gives us a glut of centers. There may very well be something else in the works. 

The proverbial "other shoe" rarely drops.  

If it does in this case, it better be a really nice shoe.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

I'm not gonna dump on Hextall because I think he's done a nice job cleaning up Holgrem's messes, but Blues fans SHOULD be loving this.

They get a younger guy who can slot in as a solid 2nd line C or elite 3rd line C...or a guy who can slot in as a winger on either line as well (maybe even a top line winger), in exchange for an older Lehtera, who isn't nearly as offensively gifted.

Sure, Philly could use a good defensive forward or three, but I still say they gave up more than they got back by giving up on the younger Schenn.

Fly fans best hope there IS more in the works and this is just a midstep move by the GM.

Hextall, though, on the whole, I give him a passing grade on his job as GM since taking over. Flyers fans should still trust in his vision.

So yea, if Blues fans aren't loving this, then someone should take away their NHL fan cards....

2 minutes ago, vis said:

I think you have a good point but posssible rationale: two #1 picks, believe Lehtera is undervalued, like next year's draft, liked the value at #27, believe Schenn is a poor fit.  Irrespective of all that they are going to miss him in the short run.

Not sure what to think just yet ....however, unless Hexy knows something we don't....Frost, from what I an reading, is a reach.  He was projected to go in 2nd Round.

I would have taken a chance on Kostin / Ratcliffe / or Tolvanen .....

7 minutes ago, vis said:

The don't even need cap relief.  They are under the cap and have a lot of cost controlled players coming up.  $800k is cap relief?  Really?  I don't buy the cap relief spin.

Vis:  We have a lot tied up in Jake and Claude, for a long time, with Claude in possible decline.  I am not sure Lehtera pickup; don't know much about him.  Schenn is a fine player and I am sorry to see him go.  But I suspect there is method to Hextall's apparent madness. 

I don't like Lehtera with two years left. The two firsts are a good return, but draft picks are all about asset management and the Flyers could have gotten better value out of this by immediately trading back if they really liked Frost. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about these kids, but Tolvanen is apparently a shooting LW. Would have made more sense from a pipeline perspective.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sure, Philly could use a good defensive forward or three, but I still say they gave up more than they got back by giving up on the younger Schenn.

Definitely.  The Flyers need scoring.  They do not need another defensive center.  They have Couturier.  They have Laughton/Vecchione to handle fourth line center duties.  They was no need for him.

Judging by his ice time, Lehtera didn't even kill penalties on the regular for the Blues.

His FO% is less than 50% last year.

Nothing about this is good.  $425k cap difference and one year less on his contract.  Big deal.  Trade into the first round, in a weak draft, for a prospect who wasn't even projected to be a first rounder.  Other pick is top 10 protected and it's pretty certain the Blues won't be picking in the top 10.  

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I know some Flyers fans round here have gone sour on Brayden Schenn, but I agree with the post about this being about cap relief.

Schenn has been a much more productive player than Lehtera and the ONLY areas where Lehtera might, MIGHT mind you, have an edge, is as a defensive forward.

That said, I really never considered B.Schenn a huge defensive liability, though he certainly was far from very good in that area.

Still though, Schenn could be counted on to produce and he had a knack for getting goals in key moments for a Flyers team that was otherwise offensive and defensively challenged.

I know Philly has a long term plan in place, I know they want and are going young and cap space is at a premium, but IMO, today, the Flyers just got a bit weaker with established players while the Blues, unfortunately, got stronger with the addition of Schenn.

So getting two 1st round draft picks is not a good thing? I think you are way over valuing Schenn here.

Archived