Welcome to the Flyers, Morgan Frost (1st Rd, 27th overall)

terp

27. Philadelphia Flyers (from Washington via St. Louis) — C Morgan Frost. He’s not the biggest player, or the fastest skater, or the flashiest offensive stud — but any player who goes onto his line automatically becomes 50% better overnight. His game is subtle, but the closer you watch, the more you appreciate all the little things he does to help his team win on a nightly basis. Soft hands for giving and receiving passes. Handles the puck cleanly at speed. Has a very quick stick and fires hard shots off east-west jump cuts. Nimble on skates with some shake-’n-bake. Had mostly unskilled linemates, yet was still able to produce lots of dangerous chances, mostly creating on his own. Excels on both special teams units with excellent anticipation. Darts in and out of traffic and is a demon in puck pursuit — very hard worker in general. Needs to add lots of muscle to his thin frame in order to be more effective around corners and in front of the net.

Frost, the Soo Greyhounds second-year centre, was rated 31st among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting’s final report. The Aurora, Ont., native was 29th in the midterm rankings.

But the 18-year-old (1999 birth year) absolutely shone at the combine, finishing in the top 10 in six different fitness tests.

"When he has the space, he's able to create really well. He does his best work on the power play. The tools are unquestioned, but he's one of those guys who should be doing more than he does 5-on-5." (Anonymous Scout, Hockey News Draft Preview)

• "Great skater with very good edge control. Has ability to find loose pucks due to very good instincts. Has a potential to play at a high level, but needs to learn to play in traffic better. Will be a good pick for an NHL team." (Andrew Degroot, ISS Scout)

• "The talent is there, but he’s small, and gets those games where he’s not totally engaged. He’s soft and light on defence -- a stick-checker -- but his defensive sense is good. He has the smarts. He needs to improve his strength so he can engage better." (Anonymous Scout, Recrutes.ca)

• "I like Frost, but he’s a slight/lighter bottom four round guy to me. He’s skilled and smart, but he’s very light or soft -- I don’t know what the right word is I’m looking for." (Anonymous NHL Scout, HockeyProspect.com Black Book)

• "Has a very quick stick and fires hard shots off east-west jump cuts. Nimble on skates with some shake-'n'-bake. Had mostly unskilled linemates, yet was still able to produce lots of dangerous chances, mostly creating on his own. Excels on both special-teams units with excellent anticipation." (Red Line Report)

Projected as a 2nd Rounder, is this a reach for Hexy???

• pilldoc changed the title to Welcome to the Flyers, Morgan Frost (1st Rd, 27th overall)
  • pilldoc pinned this topic

From what I have read Frost is a project but the upside is there.   Anyway, 2 first rounders for Schenn?    I will take it...

Schenn is literally non-existent during 5v5 play and it frees up cash on the cap sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

From what I have read Frost is a project but the upside is there.   Anyway, 2 first rounders for Schenn?    I will take it...

Schenn is literally non-existent during 5v5 play and it frees up cash on the cap sooner rather than later.

Yes he will need to be given the time to put some more size on for sure just turned 18 so i like the pick from everything i have found.

Frost largely flew under the scouting radar this season as a likely first-round pick. However, former Montreal Canadiens' scout Grant McCagg's Recrutes publication ranked Frost 21st overall and as one of the top six playmakers of the draft class. McKeen's Hockey ranked Frost as the draft class's second-fastest skater while placing him 41st overall. Bob McKenzie had Frost slightly outside the first round but within the first six picks of the second round. 

While some self-proclaimed draft pundits deemed Frost's skating "average", the player won both 30-meter speed burst competitions -- with and without the puck -- during the skills testing portion of the CHL Top Prospects showcase. In game conditions, he tends to be a little more deliberate but pure speed is one of his best assets along with clever playmaking ability. The real issues are that he's undersized, needs to add strength and may end up being a winger as a pro rather than a center. He's not ready to challenge for an NHL spot right away but has high upside down the road several seasons. It will just take patience to track his development from year to year. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=86007

So some tools to work with and grow with...me like!

This is a good pick, a really good pick to be exact. He just turned 18, so he's got one more growth spurt ahead of him, so we're probably looking at a 6'1, 190 pound forward when he makes the big club. Incredible skater. Watch You Tube videos of him and see how well of a skater he is. On top of it, this is a kid that sees the ice well. He's also got some finish to his game and he's going to be the top dog in the Soo for the next two years. He's going to have time to grow and he's going to round out the rough parts of his game.The write up doesn't do him justice at all because it simply isn't true. This is a kid with elite hockey sense, but he doesn't have the body to match. When the body catches up, you've got a David Krejci/Joe Pavelski type player on your hands. He might just end up being better simply because he's got better skating ability than they did at the same age. If Nolan Patrick is the future number one center in Philadelphia, Frost will be the number 2 guy. There's A LOT to like about this pick.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People can crap on Hextall all they want, but if you see the big picture fall out in front of you, this is going to be an incredibly deep, skilled and tough club to play against in the future. If you look five years out, it's possible the club is going to look something like this:

Lindblom - Patrick - Giroux

Rubtsov - Frost - Konecny

Bunnaman - Couturier - Aube Kubel

Leier - Vorobyov - Laberge

And that doesn't include Allison or Voracek and Simmonds. Ridiculous depth.

Apparently, Frost was not a fan of the Flyers.

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/whoops-morgan-frost-deletes-harsh-tweet-about-flyers-past

Whoops: Morgan Frost deletes harsh tweet about Flyers from past

It's a tradition unlike any other.

After a player gets drafted, he gains thousands of new fans and new followers on social media, many of whom decide to go back in time to learn a little more. Oftentimes, these hunts through Twitter history unearth a few posts that probably should have never happened or have been deleted a long time ago.

Enter Flyers draft pick Morgan Frost.

The Flyers traded with the St. Louis Blues to select the 18-year-old Frost with the 27th overall pick in the 2017 NHL draft on Friday night and immediately, this Tweet surfaced — which has now been deleted.

Life comes at you fast, Morgan.

On that night, the Flyers lost to the Washington Capitals, 7-0, in a game that included a late melee in which Brayden Schenn, involved in this trade, received a game misconduct and goalie Ray Emery traded barbs with Braden Holtby.

In another Tweet, Frost was critical of the move the Flyers made to sign Vinny Lecavalier.

Lecavlier to flyers for 5 years #wow #overpaid

— morgan frost (@_morganfrost_10) July 2, 2013

Born in Barrie, Ontario, Frost can root for any team he wants growing up and fans should probably give him some slack on these tweets surfacing, but a message to everyone on the night before you're going to get drafted: go through your feed and delete anything that could find its way onto this blog.

• pilldoc unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so for what it's worth. 

The other day discussing hockey with my Canuck friend whom is down here working at the Power plant 30 miles up the street.

He spend about 6 months a year back home in Tronno said that we have a gem in Frost.

He watches a lot of junior hockey and said he calls him (more because he is still so young) a Mitch Marner lite.

Which i thinks sounds awesome.

Not sure what others would say about that.

Thoughts. Complaints. Whines and sky is falling comments welcome....

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok so for what it's worth. 

The other day discussing hockey with my Canuck friend whom is down here working at the Power plant 30 miles up the street.

He spend about 6 months a year back home in Tronno said that we have a gem in Frost.

He watches a lot of junior hockey and said he calls him (more because he is still so young) a Mitch Marner lite.

Which i thinks sounds awesome.

Not sure what others would say about that.

Thoughts. Complaints. Whines and sky is falling comments welcome....

I trust Hextall. Frost brings a lot of skill, but on top of that is the fact that's he's almost an '18 pick. I'll be keeping an eye on his progress this season...and won't be shocked if he's lighting it up.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I trust Hextall. Frost brings a lot of skill, but on top of that is the fact that's he's almost an '18 pick. I'll be keeping an eye on his progress this season...and won't be shocked if he's lighting it up.

I trust him too.

I mean wow he has added 5 1st round picks/prospects to the collection in just the last 3 years alone!

Two of which are already in the NHL.

Color me impressed.

As I mentioned in another post, this a Joe Pavelski/David Krejci type of player. His goal scoring prowess is under rated and he just seems to have this natural knack with the puck that you can't teach players. Man, this draft might not have produced a Crosby or McDavid type player, but there's sure a lot of good depth talent from this draft.

Archived