Pens 2017 Draft

nossagog

3 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Brought up Jarry to replace Fleury ,I would have thought they would draft one to replace him? 

They've still got DeSmith, and Gustavson's in the pipeline.  There is someone else I can't remember at the moment too. 

Edit: Sean McGuire too

19 minutes ago, nossagog said:

They've still got DeSmith, and Gustavson's in the pipeline.  There is someone else I can't remember at the moment too. 

Edit: Sean McGuire too

Thanks! I knew of McGuire and Gustavson. Didn't know of DeSmith! I thought we had two! Which one is in Wheeling or our ECHL affiliate? 

23 hours ago, nossagog said:

From what I am reading he was a reach at #51 but at this point they have earned the benefit of the doubt. This team is all about the next 2-3 years anyway.

Well guys, how do you feel about the trade that brought in Reeves and the 2nd?  Was it a good move?

Just taking a brief look at the stats for Oskar Lunqvist, it seems like he finally "got it" last year, had his first legit scoring season since being drafted back in 2012. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=155343

Is this just a blip, or did the Pens trade him away when he was finally getting it together? 

On the surface, I just don't get giving up stuff for a guy like Reeves. He brings little scoring, these guys are a dime a dozen. He's not fast enough to have a legit forecheck....I guess Rutherford has earned the benefit of the doubt, but from the outside looking in, I'm puzzled. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Well guys, how do you feel about the trade that brought in Reeves and the 2nd?  Was it a good move?

Just taking a brief look at the stats for Oskar Lunqvist, it seems like he finally "got it" last year, had his first legit scoring season since being drafted back in 2012. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=155343

Is this just a blip, or did the Pens trade him away when he was finally getting it together? 

On the surface, I just don't get giving up stuff for a guy like Reeves. He brings little scoring, these guys are a dime a dozen. He's not fast enough to have a legit forecheck....I guess Rutherford has earned the benefit of the doubt, but from the outside looking in, I'm puzzled. 

Only time will tell, but I was not a fan of the deal.  The move of the picks, from 31 to 51, really didn't bother me, it was the loss of Sundqvist.   I thought that he had the capabilities to build his frame a bit, as he was not shy about using his body on the fore check.  I think that he could have learned some from his fellow Swede, Patric Hornqvist, as a net front presence.  

But you have to also realize that the Pens have quite a few prospects that are also looking close, and probably were even closer, than Sundqvist.   Auston-Reese and Sprong are the two main features who were probably ahead of Sundqvist.  So although I'd rather have Sundqvist than Reeves on my team, he was slightly expendable with their current depth.  

That all being said, they  still need a few moves to fill out the team via free agency, and if someone like Sprong is the man that is dangled, then I'll REALLY be pissed. 

Archived