Yzerman and the 2017 Draft

Yzerman Post.jpg

So.

How'd he do?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the players he picked, except from what I have read here and there online and from what some of you have said, particularly about Callan Foote.

But what about the other 5 picks?

Here they are in total for 2017:

R1- Callan Foote, Defense

R2- Alexander Volkov, Forward

R3- Alexei Lipanov, Forward

R6- Nick Perbix, Defense and Cole Guttman, Forward

R7- Samuel Walker, Forward

Anyone here know about the picks beyond Foote?

From what I've read the bottom picks are still very, very young guys, so they may not be seen for years yet...if ever...at the NHL level. Possibly could make good AHL depth guys though. Not sure.

Yzerman himself seems happy with filling "organizational needs" and feels Foote will be an NHL regular eventually, but was also high on Volkov.

Found this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/get-to-know-alexander-volkov/

Apparently, this Alex Volkov was being looked at by a few teams, but an injury turned away most others, while Tampa Bay remained interested.

Looks like he could have a high ceiling as far as offense goes, and, according to the link, he not only is very appreciative that the Lightning remained interested in him more than other teams (and selecting him in the draft too), but he plans on moving to North America, and is hell bent on making the Bolts roster as soon as he can.

Could be another undiscovered gem along the lines of Nikita Kucherov is all turns out well.

Believe it or not, there was a time when even I thought Kucherov was the "weakest" of the Triplets (Palat and Johnson being the other two), and as we all know now, Kucherov is well above those two in terms of NHL production.

Can Volkov be another of that type of player?

TB fans can only hope.

It may be my Red Wing colored glasses but I always feel that every move, every decision made by Yzerman is well thought out. If your boys are tired of him we can trade GM's any time.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

It may be my Red Wing colored glasses but I always feel that every move, every decision made by Yzerman is well thought out. If your boys are tired of him we can trade GM's any time.

Well, I don't have Red Wing colored glasses, but I certainly think Yzerman thinks all things through very well.

If I were to describe him in one word, it would be "shrewd". Simple as that.

Which is why I have no problem trusting in his decisions regarding personnel and trusting the people he hires to scout and develop them.

Yzerman was quite intelligent as a player and he continues that as a manager.

He DID learn much of his leadership and managing skills from the Detroit organization after all.

As much as a rival as the Wings are starting to become with the Bolts on the ice, I do have lots of respect for the way Detroit generally does business and STILL look at them as the template that the Bolts can be modeled after.

Which is why the organization continuing to hang on to Holland continues to baffle me as he seems to be having the team go in a direction they are not used to: short sightedness.

So NO, I won't be wanting to swap GM's any time soon, Yave. ;)

On 6/27/2017 at 7:56 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Found this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/get-to-know-alexander-volkov/

Apparently, this Alex Volkov was being looked at by a few teams, but an injury turned away most others, while Tampa Bay remained interested.

Looks like he could have a high ceiling as far as offense goes, and, according to the link, he not only is very appreciative that the Lightning remained interested in him more than other teams (and selecting him in the draft too), but he plans on moving to North America, and is hell bent on making the Bolts roster as soon as he can.

Could be another undiscovered gem along the lines of Nikita Kucherov is all turns out well.

Believe it or not, there was a time when even I thought Kucherov was the "weakest" of the Triplets (Palat and Johnson being the other two), and as we all know now, Kucherov is well above those two in terms of NHL production.

Can Volkov be another of that type of player?

TB fans can only hope.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with anyone beyond Foote.  He hit it out of the park with Foote though....exactly who I would have picked there....even picked Foote in the sites mock at #14. I LOVE this kids game. Future all-star in my books. Has it all, mean steak, offensive insticnts, nice skater with outstanding balance....a "shoe in" to make an impact on the Bolt's defense.

43 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with anyone beyond Foote.  He hit it out of the park with Foote though....exactly who I would have picked there....even picked Foote in the sites mock at #14. I LOVE this kids game. Future all-star in my books. Has it all, mean steak, offensive insticnts, nice skater with outstanding balance....a "shoe in" to make an impact on the Bolt's defense.

Sounds good, Jammer...Imma gonna hold ya to that... :haha:

Archived