Jump to content
×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
Sign in to follow this  
B21

What's next for the Pens?

Recommended Posts

B21    1,103
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

 

4.1 for a 3rd line center may be a little high, for me though Bonino is the premier 3rd line center in the league, so you get what you pay for ?  

I think his style of play will fit in nicely for Nsh, especially if he is slotted for 3c. 

Your team is most dangerous when that 3rd line is a threat, Bonino gave your 3rd line great leadership and good production. Is there anyone "in house" for the 3c role ?  The pickin's are slim in FA and whom would you want to trade to bring in a quality 3c ?

 

Also I wonder how big of a leadership role C Kunitz played ?

I know he wore an A, more importantly though,  I think he helped to give the team a toughness, it will be interesting to see if the Pens "hardness" takes a dip without 14.  Even though his production fell off...a cliff, I suspect his presence in the room, in practice day to day will be missed.

The nice thing for your team is this, after back to back championships, even if the Pens go out in round 2, it's been a helluva 3 year run.

 

 

All good points. Kunitz will be missed in the locker room but I doubt to the point where it affects chemistry or morale. This is now basically a team of (super) star veterans like Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang and hungy, motivated youth like Sheary, Guentzel, Wilson, Rust, Murray, Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl and even Schultz (he's only 26).  Sprinkle in a grizzle vet or three (Cole, Hunwick and Reaves).  That's a good mix for me.  

Edited by B21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923

Well Doumolin and Sheary have filed for arbitration, no surprise there. Pens still have enough cap space for them, will see if they reach deals, even if just for a year, prior to the hearings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Well Doumolin and Sheary have filed for arbitration, no surprise there. Pens still have enough cap space for them, will see if they reach deals, even if just for a year, prior to the hearings. 

 

Plenty of cap space. The bigger issue/question - where is our 3C?  Is Rutherford playing chicken with Colorado on a Duchene deal?  Could he (gasp!) be talking to Carolina about bringing Jordan Staal back? Is he waiting on Matt Cullen? Time will tell.

 

I love Cullen as a 4C but nothing more. At some point he is going to start playing like someone on the other side of 40. Especially after two long Cup runs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923

Got to be the last try at the NHL for Pouliot with the Pens. He probably will not clear waivers if they attempt to send him back down.  But the $800K one way contract may cause teams to pause. 

 

Archibald is one of those energy guys that the Pens just seem to be able to develop and bring up.  There does not seem to be anything special there, but he gives a lot of effort. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
1 hour ago, nossagog said:
Got to be the last try at the NHL for Pouliot with the Pens. He probably will not clear waivers if they attempt to send him back down.  But the $800K one way contract may cause teams to pause. 

 

Archibald is one of those energy guys that the Pens just seem to be able to develop and bring up.  There does not seem to be anything special there, but he gives a lot of effort. 

 

You're spot on about Pouliot. Gonchar is now a full time assistant - maybe that will help him.

 

I don't think Archibald will be another Sheary or Guentzel but if he turns out to be the next Bryan Rust? I'll take that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103

@nossagog

 

From an article yesterday by Jason Mackey in the PG (the 15 freebies have not yet expired on my Kindle!)...Rutherford keeps preaching patience. He has a list of centers who are (or will/could be) available soon. One name he mentioned was Tyler Bozak. The Leafs are over the cap. Bozak is apparently best buddies with the Big Oreo.  He's 31. UFA after the upcoming season and has a $4.2 million dollar cap hit.  18/37/55 in 78 games. As a 3C, I'd love him. I'd even be temped to reunite Kessel and him on the 3rd line. Question is....what could we give the Leafs in return? They'd have to take some salary back in return but who? It was an interesting name to throw out there though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923
On 7/16/2017 at 10:50 AM, B21 said:

@nossagog

 

From an article yesterday by Jason Mackey in the PG (the 15 freebies have not yet expired on my Kindle!)...Rutherford keeps preaching patience. He has a list of centers who are (or will/could be) available soon. One name he mentioned was Tyler Bozak. The Leafs are over the cap. Bozak is apparently best buddies with the Big Oreo.  He's 31. UFA after the upcoming season and has a $4.2 million dollar cap hit.  18/37/55 in 78 games. As a 3C, I'd love him. I'd even be temped to reunite Kessel and him on the 3rd line. Question is....what could we give the Leafs in return? They'd have to take some salary back in return but who? It was an interesting name to throw out there though.

Two thoughts on this.  First off, I think they'll look for draft picks/prospects that are not NHL ready, unless they have other deals in mind.    Secondly, I can't see them trading and retaining any salary because they'd still be over the cap then.  IMHO, they need to clear cap space just in case they want to improve their lineup at the deadline(I know that's a far ways away).  You also don't want to put yourself in a pinch that you have players go down to injury, but not LTIR type, and you don't have room to bring someone up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
3 hours ago, nossagog said:

Two thoughts on this.  First off, I think they'll look for draft picks/prospects that are not NHL ready, unless they have other deals in mind.    Secondly, I can't see them trading and retaining any salary because they'd still be over the cap then.  IMHO, they need to clear cap space just in case they want to improve their lineup at the deadline(I know that's a far ways away).  You also don't want to put yourself in a pinch that you have players go down to injury, but not LTIR type, and you don't have room to bring someone up.

 

Here's hoping Dumoulin and Sheary get clobbered in arbitration then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923
Posted (edited)

Wow, Dumolin is asking for $4.35 Million in arbitration.    Sorry Dumo, you had a good year, but that's a lot of money, especially for a defenseman who provides very little in the offensive zone. . If that's what you are thinking, I don't see a long term contract on the horizon.

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Edited by nossagog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
20 hours ago, nossagog said:

Wow, Dumolin is asking for $4.35 Million in arbitration.    Sorry Dumo, you had a good year, but that's a lot of money, especially for a defenseman who provides very little in the offensive zone. . If that's what you are thinking, I don't see a long term contract on the horizon.

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

That was a bit of a head scratcher. I think the Pens started low but not insanely lower.  I'm thinking they figured the "middle" would be somewhere between $2 million and $3 million. Not $2 million and $4.3 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJgoal    2,668

Six years at 4.1 million per for Dumoulin.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103

OK with the term. The cap hit is about $1,000,000 to high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJgoal    2,668

Excellent term and AAV, good deal for both sides IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923

Its gonna grow on me maybe.  The more I think about it, I'm okay with this.   the 4.3 for one year would not have been good. But getting him for 6 years at 4 may not be too bad at all as he's still getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923

Sheary signed a new contract today.  Three years at an average of $3M / year. 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Not too bad, he needs to be consistent to earn that now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
20 hours ago, nossagog said:

Sheary signed a new contract today.  Three years at an average of $3M / year. 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Not too bad, he needs to be consistent to earn that now. 

 

This one I like. Fair number and length.  Now it's back to the 3C watch. With just over $3,000,000 of cap space left ($2,000,000 really when you factor in the need of a "cusion") I am very anxious to see what Rutherford does. He doesn't seem too "worried" based on what I've read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
notfondajane    265

Just curious on how old is Jordan Staal? (Sorry so late on the question lots and lots of work the last few weeks!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
notfondajane    265
On 7/25/2017 at 9:35 PM, nossagog said:

Its gonna grow on me maybe.  The more I think about it, I'm okay with this.   the 4.3 for one year would not have been good. But getting him for 6 years at 4 may not be too bad at all as he's still getting better.

I'm glad this is done! (I was hoping for somewhere around  $3.5 to $3.75 million!) Just glad it's done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
notfondajane    265
23 hours ago, nossagog said:

Sheary signed a new contract today.  Three years at an average of $3M / year. 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Not too bad, he needs to be consistent to earn that now. 

Again I am glad he's staying! I think this is extremely fair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
24 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Just curious on how old is Jordan Staal? (Sorry so late on the question lots and lots of work the last few weeks!)

 

He's "$6,000,000 per year through 2023 with a full NTC" old. :VeryCool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nossagog    923
5 hours ago, B21 said:

 

He's "$6,000,000 per year through 2023 with a full NTC" old. :VeryCool:

I'm soooooooooooo glad we moved on from him.   He's plateau'd out and should never have been more than a third line center.  He benefited from the fact that he was third line on a team that had Crosby and Malkin, and depending on him to contribute higher is killing the Canes.  What an albatross that contract is going to be.  Then again, the Canes seem to be heading for the floor of the cap any way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
notfondajane    265
6 hours ago, B21 said:

 

He's "$6,000,000 per year through 2023 with a full NTC" old. :VeryCool:

Ouch! Big time OUCH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
12 hours ago, nossagog said:

I'm soooooooooooo glad we moved on from him.   He's plateau'd out and should never have been more than a third line center.  He benefited from the fact that he was third line on a team that had Crosby and Malkin, and depending on him to contribute higher is killing the Canes.  What an albatross that contract is going to be.  Then again, the Canes seem to be heading for the floor of the cap any way. 

 

I couldn't agree more. If the Canes were willing to pick up $2M of that $6M hit, I'd listen. Otherwise, pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B21    1,103
11 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Ouch! Big time OUCH!

 

Pretty old, eh? :VeryCool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
notfondajane    265
Posted (edited)

 

59 minutes ago, B21 said:

 

Pretty old, eh? :VeryCool:

Yes it is! Didn't he sign up to play along his brother in Carolina? :hehe:

Edited by notfondajane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 1
      Post
        How much and for how long?   Anything more than 4 years and anything more than $3.5 million per year is too much.  I think he gets more though. Someone is going to pay him like a 2C.
    • 1
      Post
      Yeah, you have to figure this is he last BIG cashin as a free agent.  At 29, players are looking as best they can for a four or five year deal that may be their peak contract.  Coming off of back to back Cup's, and being a big part of it, I don't blame him.     But where does he fit?   I really think he's found his niche here as a third line center on a team that has two great centers in front of him.  He basically NEVER has to play against the other teams top pair, and even not so often against the second pair.   So I think teams understand that.   He is not going to be a second line center that will be able to boost a teams offense.  So where does a third line center, who provides some of those intangibles that teams look for, fall in the salary of NHL teams.      For most teams, I don't think you pay more than $4M, maybe $4.5M for a third line center, if you are, then you have a pretty flat team in terms of talent and probably don't have any game changers.       
    • 1
      Post
      I think Reeves will the Pens hardness even with Kunitz gone.  But also realize, I don't think the Pens are done just yet. With all the moves, they still have a lot of money free at the moment for a   3C.  I think they'll go the trade root for someone. 
    • 1
      Post
      Got to be the last try at the NHL for Pouliot with the Pens. He probably will not clear waivers if they attempt to send him back down.  But the $800K one way contract may cause teams to pause.    Archibald is one of those energy guys that the Pens just seem to be able to develop and bring up.  There does not seem to be anything special there, but he gives a lot of effort. 

About us

We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and the great game of hockey in our Forums. Our members may write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more. If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

 

 Contact Us

 

Recent tweets

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free
×