What's next for the Pens?

B21

21 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

4.1 for a 3rd line center may be a little high, for me though Bonino is the premier 3rd line center in the league, so you get what you pay for ?  

I think his style of play will fit in nicely for Nsh, especially if he is slotted for 3c. 

Your team is most dangerous when that 3rd line is a threat, Bonino gave your 3rd line great leadership and good production. Is there anyone "in house" for the 3c role ?  The pickin's are slim in FA and whom would you want to trade to bring in a quality 3c ?

Also I wonder how big of a leadership role C Kunitz played ?

I know he wore an A, more importantly though,  I think he helped to give the team a toughness, it will be interesting to see if the Pens "hardness" takes a dip without 14.  Even though his production fell off...a cliff, I suspect his presence in the room, in practice day to day will be missed.

The nice thing for your team is this, after back to back championships, even if the Pens go out in round 2, it's been a helluva 3 year run.

All good points. Kunitz will be missed in the locker room but I doubt to the point where it affects chemistry or morale. This is now basically a team of (super) star veterans like Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang and hungy, motivated youth like Sheary, Guentzel, Wilson, Rust, Murray, Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl and even Schultz (he's only 26).  Sprinkle in a grizzle vet or three (Cole, Hunwick and Reaves).  That's a good mix for me.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Doumolin and Sheary have filed for arbitration, no surprise there. Pens still have enough cap space for them, will see if they reach deals, even if just for a year, prior to the hearings. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Well Doumolin and Sheary have filed for arbitration, no surprise there. Pens still have enough cap space for them, will see if they reach deals, even if just for a year, prior to the hearings. 

Plenty of cap space. The bigger issue/question - where is our 3C?  Is Rutherford playing chicken with Colorado on a Duchene deal?  Could he (gasp!) be talking to Carolina about bringing Jordan Staal back? Is he waiting on Matt Cullen? Time will tell.

I love Cullen as a 4C but nothing more. At some point he is going to start playing like someone on the other side of 40. Especially after two long Cup runs.  

Got to be the last try at the NHL for Pouliot with the Pens. He probably will not clear waivers if they attempt to send him back down.  But the $800K one way contract may cause teams to pause. 

Archibald is one of those energy guys that the Pens just seem to be able to develop and bring up.  There does not seem to be anything special there, but he gives a lot of effort. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:
Got to be the last try at the NHL for Pouliot with the Pens. He probably will not clear waivers if they attempt to send him back down.  But the $800K one way contract may cause teams to pause. 

Archibald is one of those energy guys that the Pens just seem to be able to develop and bring up.  There does not seem to be anything special there, but he gives a lot of effort. 

You're spot on about Pouliot. Gonchar is now a full time assistant - maybe that will help him.

I don't think Archibald will be another Sheary or Guentzel but if he turns out to be the next Bryan Rust? I'll take that.

@nossagog

From an article yesterday by Jason Mackey in the PG (the 15 freebies have not yet expired on my Kindle!)...Rutherford keeps preaching patience. He has a list of centers who are (or will/could be) available soon. One name he mentioned was Tyler Bozak. The Leafs are over the cap. Bozak is apparently best buddies with the Big Oreo.  He's 31. UFA after the upcoming season and has a $4.2 million dollar cap hit.  18/37/55 in 78 games. As a 3C, I'd love him. I'd even be temped to reunite Kessel and him on the 3rd line. Question is....what could we give the Leafs in return? They'd have to take some salary back in return but who? It was an interesting name to throw out there though.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:50 AM, B21 said:

@nossagog

From an article yesterday by Jason Mackey in the PG (the 15 freebies have not yet expired on my Kindle!)...Rutherford keeps preaching patience. He has a list of centers who are (or will/could be) available soon. One name he mentioned was Tyler Bozak. The Leafs are over the cap. Bozak is apparently best buddies with the Big Oreo.  He's 31. UFA after the upcoming season and has a $4.2 million dollar cap hit.  18/37/55 in 78 games. As a 3C, I'd love him. I'd even be temped to reunite Kessel and him on the 3rd line. Question is....what could we give the Leafs in return? They'd have to take some salary back in return but who? It was an interesting name to throw out there though.

Two thoughts on this.  First off, I think they'll look for draft picks/prospects that are not NHL ready, unless they have other deals in mind.    Secondly, I can't see them trading and retaining any salary because they'd still be over the cap then.  IMHO, they need to clear cap space just in case they want to improve their lineup at the deadline(I know that's a far ways away).  You also don't want to put yourself in a pinch that you have players go down to injury, but not LTIR type, and you don't have room to bring someone up.

3 hours ago, nossagog said:

Two thoughts on this.  First off, I think they'll look for draft picks/prospects that are not NHL ready, unless they have other deals in mind.    Secondly, I can't see them trading and retaining any salary because they'd still be over the cap then.  IMHO, they need to clear cap space just in case they want to improve their lineup at the deadline(I know that's a far ways away).  You also don't want to put yourself in a pinch that you have players go down to injury, but not LTIR type, and you don't have room to bring someone up.

Here's hoping Dumoulin and Sheary get clobbered in arbitration then!

Wow, Dumolin is asking for $4.35 Million in arbitration.    Sorry Dumo, you had a good year, but that's a lot of money, especially for a defenseman who provides very little in the offensive zone. . If that's what you are thinking, I don't see a long term contract on the horizon.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12536817-74/penguins-dumoulin-exchange-contract-proposals

20 hours ago, nossagog said:

Wow, Dumolin is asking for $4.35 Million in arbitration.    Sorry Dumo, you had a good year, but that's a lot of money, especially for a defenseman who provides very little in the offensive zone. . If that's what you are thinking, I don't see a long term contract on the horizon.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12536817-74/penguins-dumoulin-exchange-contract-proposals

That was a bit of a head scratcher. I think the Pens started low but not insanely lower.  I'm thinking they figured the "middle" would be somewhere between $2 million and $3 million. Not $2 million and $4.3 million.

Its gonna grow on me maybe.  The more I think about it, I'm okay with this.   the 4.3 for one year would not have been good. But getting him for 6 years at 4 may not be too bad at all as he's still getting better.

20 hours ago, nossagog said:

Sheary signed a new contract today.  Three years at an average of $3M / year. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-agree-to-terms-with-sheary/c-290542130

Not too bad, he needs to be consistent to earn that now. 

This one I like. Fair number and length.  Now it's back to the 3C watch. With just over $3,000,000 of cap space left ($2,000,000 really when you factor in the need of a "cusion") I am very anxious to see what Rutherford does. He doesn't seem too "worried" based on what I've read.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:35 PM, nossagog said:

Its gonna grow on me maybe.  The more I think about it, I'm okay with this.   the 4.3 for one year would not have been good. But getting him for 6 years at 4 may not be too bad at all as he's still getting better.

I'm glad this is done! (I was hoping for somewhere around  $3.5 to $3.75 million!) Just glad it's done!

23 hours ago, nossagog said:

Sheary signed a new contract today.  Three years at an average of $3M / year. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-agree-to-terms-with-sheary/c-290542130

Not too bad, he needs to be consistent to earn that now. 

Again I am glad he's staying! I think this is extremely fair!

24 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Just curious on how old is Jordan Staal? (Sorry so late on the question lots and lots of work the last few weeks!)

He's "$6,000,000 per year through 2023 with a full NTC" old. :VeryCool:

5 hours ago, B21 said:

He's "$6,000,000 per year through 2023 with a full NTC" old. :VeryCool:

I'm soooooooooooo glad we moved on from him.   He's plateau'd out and should never have been more than a third line center.  He benefited from the fact that he was third line on a team that had Crosby and Malkin, and depending on him to contribute higher is killing the Canes.  What an albatross that contract is going to be.  Then again, the Canes seem to be heading for the floor of the cap any way. 

12 hours ago, nossagog said:

I'm soooooooooooo glad we moved on from him.   He's plateau'd out and should never have been more than a third line center.  He benefited from the fact that he was third line on a team that had Crosby and Malkin, and depending on him to contribute higher is killing the Canes.  What an albatross that contract is going to be.  Then again, the Canes seem to be heading for the floor of the cap any way. 

I couldn't agree more. If the Canes were willing to pick up $2M of that $6M hit, I'd listen. Otherwise, pass.

Archived