LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice article on Hart

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-flyers-prospect-carter-hart/c-296511264?tid=278388320

Quick tongue-in-cheek comment: What do all of the save % record holders across the CHL have in common?

No one has heard a damn thing about them. Ever.

Ok, Tokarski is the exception. 

Let's hope Hart is different!

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

Nice article on Hart

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-flyers-prospect-carter-hart/c-296511264?tid=278388320

Quick tongue-in-cheek comment: What do all of the save % record holders across the CHL have in common?

No one has heard a damn thing about them. Ever.

Ok, Tokarski is the exception. 

Let's hope Hart is different!

I think having the best save percentage in CHL history is a big deal. It may have zero effect on his NHL career, but considering the amount of great goalies that have come out of Canadian junior all time, it's an impressive feat if he can attain it. 

The guy is just so focused on winning and getting better...pretty mature stuff for a teenager.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I think having the best save percentage in CHL history is a big deal. It may have zero effect on his NHL career, but considering the amount of great goalies that have come out of Canadian junior all time, it's an impressive feat if he can attain it. 

The guy is just so focused on winning and getting better...pretty mature stuff for a teenager.

Oh, absolutely! I didn't mean to diminish the accomplishment. He's having an historic season.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Oh, absolutely! I didn't mean to diminish the accomplishment. He's having an historic season.

You weren't...point taken about the nobodies. It's strange that none of them made it.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You weren't...point taken about the nobodies. It's strange that none of them made it.

Yeah, I think it just shows that making it to the NHL isn't only about stats. That might get you in the conversation, but the mental focus is also a huge component. Then there's also development, opportunity, injuries, etc that can come in and affect progress.

As a side note, it's nice to hear Hart say he wants to make the Flyers next year. Unlikely to happen if we have two goalies under contract - he'd have to really steal the job. But a great attitude. 

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah, I think it just shows that making it to the NHL isn't only about stats. That might get you in the conversation, but the mental focus is also a huge component. Then there's also development, opportunity, injuries, etc that can come in and affect progress.

And the rest of the team in front of them. A lot of variables. Then heart and determination that can't be measured.

Phantoms won their battle with Hershey 7-6 NAK with the GW his 2nd goal of the night. Finished with 3 points.

Nice come back win after starting down 5-1.

Three Stars

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice...Ron is sitting on a gold mind of prospects.

Was just reading about Ratcliffe. He has 4g, 3a in his last 6 games, but is -13. 

Meltzer was saying they have poor team defense and goaltending. 

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Was just reading about Ratcliffe. He has 4g, 3a in his last 6 games, but is -13. 

Guelph is terrible.

Ratcliffe is the top scoring forward on the Storm...on Frosts Greyhounds he'd be 7th. Of course he'd likely have more points if he played on that team...just comparing talent.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

Ratcliffe and Merkley have been carrying that Guelph team in their backs. The club is awful but those two have carried that club to a playoff spot. The plus/minus is deceiving because they're incredibly good, but everyone else is incredibly bad. Just think how much better Ratcliffe well be when he's surrounded by better players. He's going to be a star at the NHL level. Bank on it.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Ratcliffe and Merkley have been carrying that Guelph team in their backs. The club is awful but those two have carried that club to a playoff spot. The plus/minus is deceiving because they're incredibly good, but everyone else is incredibly bad. Just think how much better Ratcliffe well be when he's surrounded by better players. He's going to be a star at the NHL level. Bank on it.

I still can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't sign this kid to a contract...

...i guess he didn't pass enough for their liking...all he does is score goals. Could of had him for free. It's not like the Phantoms couldn't have used him. An amazing shot and 74 points in 58 games is impressive.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I still can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't sign this kid to a contract...

...i guess he didn't pass enough for their liking...all he does is score goals. Could of had him for free. It's not like the Phantoms couldn't have used him. An amazing shot and 74 points in 58 games is impressive.

Well, he’s an overager and he should be dominating. Goulbourne dominated too. 

He *might* eventually end up in the NHL, but my guess would be not. No disrespect to you, but I think professional NHL teams with legions of scouts who have all passed on him might know a bit more than we do. :)

It’s easy to be an armchair GM. We don’t get the same salary, but we also don’t have the headaches lol.

Flyers have four prospects they must sign this summer or lose their rights. Carson Twarynski and Anthony Salintiri have their rights expire June 1, while David Drake and Terrence Amorosa's expire on August 15. Doesn't seem like any of these guys are in their plans at this point. Twarynski is up over a point per game in his draft +2 season after that nasty hit he took last year.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Well, he’s an overager and he should be dominating. Goulbourne dominated too. 

On the other hand, there's Alexis Lafreniere. 42g, 36a in 56 games... at 16. He's not even draftable this year, and he's only one of two players in the top ten in scoring in the Q that hasn't been through the draft at least once.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

On the other hand, there's Alexis Lafreniere. 42g, 36a in 56 games... at 16. He's not even draftable this year, and he's only one of two players in the top ten in scoring in the Q that hasn't been through the draft at least once.

He's not even eligible next year. Going to be a good one.

Archived