LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

With the draft officially over and FA to start in a few days I figured now was a good time to start a new thread involving the Phantoms and other Flyer prospects both old and new.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flyers had arguably the best prospects in the NHL leading into this draft. It ain't arguable anymore.

Lindblom - Patrick - Allison
Rubtsov - Vorobyov - Laczynski
Ratcliffe - Frost - Laberge
Bunnaman - Vecchione - Aube-Kubel
Leier - Fazleev - Kase

Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Hagg
Hogberg - Friedman

Hart/Sandstrom/Lyon/Stolarz

Hows that for depth? 

And when you think about Provorov/Konecny/Ghost/Couturier/Weal all being 25 or under...

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The Flyers had arguably the best prospects in the NHL leading into this draft. It ain't arguable anymore.

Lindblom - Patrick - Allison
Rubtsov - Vorobyov - Laczynski
Ratcliffe - Frost - Laberge
Bunnaman - Vecchione - Aube-Kubel
Leier - Fazleev - Kase

Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Hagg
Hogberg - Friedman

Hart/Sandstrom/Lyon/Stolarz

Hows that for depth? 

And when you think about Provorov/Konecny/Ghost/Couturier/Weal all being 25 or under...

That is sick.

@flyercanuck

Hey are you familiar with the camp invite Ivan Kosorenkov??

I know you're an OHL guy not sure how much you follow the Q. Just asking i hope this kid turns into a Myers like find.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=313588

63 points in 68 games not to shabby first year in juniors.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

I know you're an OHL guy not sure how much you follow the Q. Just asking i hope this kid turns into a Myers like find.

Can't say I know much about him...hopefully someone else can chime in.

Looks like he's got a nice one-timer. 

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@flyercanuck

@OccamsRazor

Wow is all I can say.   The defense alone would make most clubs jealous..... the depth at that position is going to terrorize the NHL for years to come.....

When you consider how quickly Hextall turned our worst in the league to best in the league...pretty impressive management.

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Can't say I know much about him...hopefully someone else can chime in.

Looks like he's got a nice one-timer. 

Well in one year he has out produced (Flyer prospect) and team mate Pascal Laberge and Laberge was a 2nd round pick.

Must be where Flyer scouts noticed him scouting Pascal.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well in one year he has out produced (Flyer prospect) and team mate Pascal Laberge and Laberge was a 2nd round pick.

Must be where Flyer scouts noticed him scouting Pascal.

Ya, i think Laberge gets a pass on last season...may have spent it gun shy and in a fog.

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

More points than Comtois and a plus player as well.

Weird that he has now been passed over twice. He was, after all, a 1st round pick in the 2016 CHL Import Draft so presumably on the radar. Surprised nobody took a flyer on him in the 7th round.

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

More points than Comtois and a plus player as well.

Weird that he has now been passed over twice. He was, after all, a 1st round pick in the 2016 CHL Import Draft so presumably on the radar. Surprised nobody took a flyer on him in the 7th round.

Well i hope the Flyers benefit from the find...

@OccamsRazor

@Podein25

@flyercanuck

Found this ...

Ivan Kosorenkov (RW) – Jan.22.1998 – 6’0, 181 – Left – Nizhnekamsk, Russia
2015-2016 – Team Russia U18 (MHL) – 22-13-7-20 – 10 PIM – +17

Ivan Kosorenkov is an agitating, offensive minded forward with an intriguing work ethic. A true competitor, Kosorenkov plays a heavy, but skilled game as he shows a willingness to work the gritty areas of the ice, engages physically and competes hard on the back check.

However Kosorenkov also boasts an intriguing offensive skill-set. While not exactly polished in the offensive zone, Kosorenkov hunts the puck, showing a real tenaciousness in puck pursuit which in turn helps him thrive on the forecheck were he’ll engage physically and force turnovers. With deceptively strong puck handling abilities and a nose for the net, Kosorenkov displays some pure goal scoring attributes to his game, however he does have limits on how much he can create for himself as he does lack the offensive creativity that the purest of goal scorers possess.

A player who is heavy on the puck and works the cycle well, Kosorenkov’s quick feet and and ability to effectively find soft spots in offensive zone can make him tough to contain at times. A player who skates well and boasts a strong first step, Kosorenkov certainly has appeal as a developing two-way way player. On the defensive side of the puck, Kosorenkov competes, finishes checks and shows positional awareness. Not a pure shutdown winger but a capable an effective presence.

and this

Ivan Kosorenkov – scouting report

Bio:
Team: Team Russia U18                                Draft status: 2016 eligible
Position: RW/LW
To date stats: 19 GP, 12 G, 6 A, 18 Pts, 8 PIMs
Shoots: L
Height/Weight: 6’0”, 180 lbs.

Characteristics:
Skating:
A fast skater with an excellent agility, first step and top speed. Can easily change direction and skate backwards, or brake to make a pause, fool the defenseman, and then shoot, pass, or keep on skating. Grade: 60

Shooting:
A natural goalscorer, Kosorenkov has a very good shot with a fast release. He can also unwind strong one-timers, other than trying to fool the netminder with unpredictable attempts. His wrister is also very accurate and he reminds me a little bit of Nikita Kucherov in that regards. Grade: 60

Puck skills:
Kosorenkov has a good set of hands, and can be a good playmaker too, even if he prefers to score. He is very good in bringing the puck forward and his speed guarantees him a lot of breakaways in junior hockey, of course it will be harder for him to replicate his style of play in pro hockey. He likes to take defensemen one on one and is often successful. Grade: 55

Smarts:
Kosorenkov is a one-dimensional player. He usually doesn’t commit a lot in the defensive side of the game, and prefers concentrating on his offensive game. He can deliver good passes, even if he prefers to play the puck himself, but has a good eye for his linemates. Grade: 45

Physicality:
He isn’t a physical player, and isn’t particularly big either, although he can take hits and doesn’t suffer when things get tougher. He will of course have to bulk up to think about playing in North America, but also to play pro hockey in Europe. Grade: 45

General assessment:
A great raw talent with some holes in his game in the defensive side. He also tends to overplay the puck at times, as he still plays too much in a junior hockey style, while he should be focusing a bit more in passing the puck and getting back. That being said, he has great hands and excellent skating abilities, and put in the right situation he can produce on a regular way in any team.

Overall Future Projection: 55

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Smarts:
Kosorenkov is a one-dimensional player. He usually doesn’t commit a lot in the defensive side of the game, and prefers concentrating on his offensive game

Well this part he will have to change if he is to ever seen the lineup with Hak as a coach! But he is only 19 and has plenty of time to grow.

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this part he will have to change if he is to ever seen the lineup with Hak as a coach! But he is only 19 and has plenty of time to grow.

Yeah it pretty much explains lack of interest in him. As one scout said about a player that was ranked 35th by him but taken 85th: "pretty with the puck, pretty useless without it."

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

pretty useless without it."

Well as a free agent worth the gamble to see if that side can be coach up....and it's not there aren't any NHLers right now with that issue....

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well as a free agent worth the gamble to see if that side can be coach up....and it's not there aren't any NHLers right now with that issue....

Yeah, for sure. It's just a camp invite right? 

A good kid to work with and teach young Dmen (Sanheim, Myers, Friedman) coming in to the AHL headed for the NHL.

Smart move. May never seen the NHL again but can be like a teacher on the ice.

DDRptBeWsAA0m4d.jpg

So guys coming back next year. Lyons and Stolie will battle it out for the starter spot and future in LV...have to think one of them will be relied on the following year to backup in the NHL.

Archived