LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

How many guys will make it? Who will surprise? A bust? Europeans who there? Kase ?Who is the goalie from Sweden to go with Carter?

Hard to say who will definitely make it or who will be a bust, but one this is for sure....Hexy has done a hell of job getting legitamite top prospects.  FYI...the goalie you are thinking of from Sweden is Felix Sandstrom.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/03/22/philadelphia-flyers-goaltending-bright/  (from March of 2017)

Felix Sandstrom

While Hart has been dominating the junior level, Sandstrom has enjoyed success for Brynas IF of the SHL. He finished the regular season with a 14-5-2 record, 2.25 goals against average and a .908 save percentage. He helped the team finish with 93 points as they qualified for a playoff spot as the fifth seed.

During his time with Team Sweden at the World Junior Championships, Sandstrom helped the team with a 4-1-1 record with a 2.17 goals against average and .915 save percentage.

With Sandstrom’s contract ending after this season, he has the opportunity to come overseas and play for the Phantoms next season. This will all depend on what happens with the Flyers goaltending situation. If Hextall decides that either Lyon or Stolarz are ready for the NHL, it would open a spot as the Phantoms backup.

There is still time for Hextall to decide on what he wants to do with the Flyers goaltending situation. Sandtrom’s development in Sweden is certainly something to have the Flyers excited about.

1 hour ago, Jam1986 said:

How many guys will make it? Who will surprise? A bust? Europeans who there? Kase ?Who is the goalie from Sweden to go with Carter?

Meant to ask who will make it Flyers from Phathoms?  Will Morin be traded? Will Progner be back to save him and other d.

Nice update on Lindblom from Meltzer:

The big story from the Phantoms and Flyers organizational perspective, however, was another stellar game for the surging Lindblom. He scored his 12th goal of the season -- and fifth in the last six games -- but easily could have had a second one or a hat trick among his seven shots on goal. The rookie Swedish left winger was robbed a couple times by Sparks. In the meantime, he continued his strong board work and two-way play that have been present even when he is not scoring goals. The only difference now is that he's regularly finding ways to get inside the dots to the scoring areas.

Lindblom's goal, which gave the Phantoms a 2-1 lead at 8:15 of the second period, came off a broken play. Receiving a pass from defenseman Reece Willcox, Lindblom moved in and tried to make a cross-ice pass near the goal mouth. The pass went off the leg of a defender but right back to Lindblom, who quickly stashed it home to supplement an earlier call by ECHL recall forward Alex Kryshelnyski. Scored at 2:27 of the second period, ECHL All-Star Game selection Kryshelnyski's first goal as a Phantom was tallied on an unassisted breakaway on Sparks.

Lindblom now has points in nine of his last 11 games (seven goals, five assists, 12 points) and goals in three games in a row. After opening the season by going pointless in the first six games, the Swede has settled in to produce 12 goals and 26 points in the last 30 games. 

At this point, it is only a matter of time until the Flyers find an NHL landing spot -- in a top-nine role, likely with second unit power play time -- for Lindblom. The recent strong play of Jordan Weal and Michael Raffl may have factored into the Flyers feeling they can continue to wait and see if Lindblom can take his play even a step higher and then hit the ground running in an NHL role where he might score as well play well on the boards and without the puck. 

The number one thing the Flyers wanted to see out of Lindblom when he was sent to the Phantoms out of training camp was a little bit of work on his feet -- specifically in getting them moving a bit quicker to arrive in the scoring areas. He's doing it with frequency now at the AHL level. Once Flyers GM Ron Hextall is convinced the player is ready to do the same in the NHL, he will come up and stay up. 

In regard to Lindblom, Hextall said before Thursday's Flyers game, "He has come along very nicely, he’s playing good minutes, he’s producing. He’s right on track. If you said to me after his first 10 games, he would be where he is right now, I’d be very happy.”

Phantoms head coach Scott Gordon said all along that he felt it was only a matter of time for Lindblom, even in the early stages of the season, and he felt the player would really take off by December. That has been precisely the case, even with the Phantoms riddled with injuries.

I noticed that the Phantoms are tied for 2nd in GF, but also have allowed the 5th most GA.

Anyone watch them regularly that can explain why? Is it goaltending? Defense? Team defense? I know we had a bunch of ECHL defensemen for a while, but if I recall, the team actually played well. 

52 minutes ago, brelic said:

I noticed that the Phantoms are tied for 2nd in GF, but also have allowed the 5th most GA.

Anyone watch them regularly that can explain why? Is it goaltending? Defense? Team defense? I know we had a bunch of ECHL defensemen for a while, but if I recall, the team actually played well. 

Not just defensemen the whole team has battled injuries.

They have had injuries to their Captain Mcdonald who just recently got back.

Injuries to Vecchione who missed some time. Misha Vorobyev i don't think is back if he is i missed it.

Injuries too two of their top 2 D prospects in Myer and Morin who is still out on top Frieman having growing pains adjust from college to pro speed. 

Brennan had missed sometime injured a couple weeks and for IIRC 4 of their 6 Dmen were of ECHL caliber callups.

And ECHL callup when Lyon was called up.

Their top goal scorer called up for a week in Martel.

Along with one of their top Vet Dmen in Alt being called up since December 1st had just returned.

So it has to be taken into account.

And to be sitting where they are i applaud them.

Good move for the kid give him some time to develop.

lycksellshootoutgoal.gif

He needs to be ready when he comes over by that time he will have the deck stacked against him with the glut of Flyer forwards being stockpiled.

Especially at his size.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, brelic said:

Guys still can't catch a break.

As soon as they get someone back some else seems to get hurt.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Issac Ratcliffe scored 2 goals (including a shortie) and was named 1st star in a 4-2 win over Kingston.

Morgan Frost also 1st star with 1g 2a to keep his 19 game point streak alive in a 5-2 Hounds win. 

Good to hear. I figure both these guys have another year of junior before joining the Phantoms.

Phantoms got blasted last night by Springfield 6-2. 

Nice snipe by NAK.

A close game then they give up 4 unanswered goals. WTF?

It seems Friedman has struggled his first year of pro hockey.

Better shake it off big game tonight too.

"I think we took this team too lightly, to be honest with you," said a glowering Phil Varone, who scored one of the Phantoms' two goals. "Everyone in this room needs to look in the mirror. I know I will."

I'm going on record and saying that Frost and Ratcliffe are going to be the next Giroux/Voracek combo. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Allison added to the line just so that Frost has room to operate. And depending on who the Flyers draft this year, we're probably looking at yet another skilled forward with size in terms of the St.Louis first (Serron Noel, Anderson McDonald), so the wings are definitely getting filled out. Add in guys like Bunnaman, Rubtsov, Lindblom, etc....and there's a glut of size and skill coming up the way. I know that they're year 4 of 5 into the retooling (won't call it a rebuild because a rebuild means a full tear down which Hextall didn't do) and by next year, we could see a glut of young forwards in the lineup. The only drawback is the man behind the bench, but if he's there in Philadelphia next year, he's on a short leash. He's got a mobile defense, he's got forwards with skill and size and there's experience. There's no reason for any of them not to take the next step in their development next year. If there's any sort of regression again, he needs to go. Of note, I also think next year, he allows guys like Provorov, Gostisbehere and Sanheim to all lead rushes. I can't see him holding them back when that's their one big skill.

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm going on record and saying that Frost and Ratcliffe are going to be the next Giroux/Voracek combo. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Allison added to the line just so that Frost has room to operate.

Just for sh1ts and giggles...notset in stone by the way...

Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

Rubtsov - Vorobyev - Sushko

Frost - Laczynski - Allison

Ratcliffe - Bunnaman - Salinitri

Now that also doesn't include a lot of guys who are in the system and still young.

Laberge, Strome, Aube-Kubel, Laughton, Kase, Twarynski, Marody, Fazleev, Martel, Lycksell and Cates.

Now i don't where all these guys end up but it is just to show you they will have options and they can package guys with picks to get guys they need. An this we haven't even got to the defense or goal.

Just an embarrassment of riches. Sure no Mcdavid in the group but that is some depth i have never seen before.

Man, I don't think people know just how good Ratcliffe is going to be. Honestly, I really don't. He's already 6'6, he's growing into his frame in that he's now 210 pounds and he can really move and has got soft hands. The fact that it's basically him and Ryan Merkley carrying a bad Guelph squad into playoff contention is unreal. This guy is an absolute gamer. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Could this kid steal a spot on the Flyers next year??

My head says another year of junior but my heart says i don't know...

it was a beauty of a goal...that line of Katchouk, Raddysh and he is dynamite. But I see another year of junior...and him leading TC. 

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

it was a beauty of a goal...that line of Katchouk, Raddysh and he is dynamite. But I see another year of junior...and him leading TC. 

Yes. It will be good for him.

So question you follow juniors more than i.

Do the Soo have a good shot at the OHL title and/or Memorial Cup too?

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. It will be good for him.

So question you follow juniors more than i.

Do the Soo have a good shot at the OHL title and/or Memorial Cup too?

I can't see anyone in the OHL beating them...and that was BEFORE they got Raddysh and Sambrook. The Memorial Cup should also be theirs...but you never know because it's a single game tournament. 

1 hour ago, Claude Monet said:

Going to see Everett today. Not sure if Hart will play as they have 3 in a row and he played last night. Will check in if he does.

Tough not to be optimistic about Frost. That last highlight makes me think of Another #16 and his tenaciousness 

I can't see Hart NOT playing against the Hawks.

Hart played and won in a shoot out. Maybe there is hope for the flyers!

he probably would have wanted the second goal back but it was off the stick of belllows, who has a wicked release.

made some killer saves and oozes consistency.  He is just killing time waiting for the next level

Phantoms beat Hershey 2-1 Saturday. Goals by Brennan and Read.

Three Stars

Then they won again sunday 2-1. Goals by Aube- Kubel and Brennan.

Three Stars
1st 2nd 3rd
3176.jpg
5658.jpg
Pheonix Copley
Hershey Bears 
SA: 32
SV: 30
TOI: 60:33
6424.jpg
Alex Lyon
Lehigh Valley Phantoms