LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I read here, it was more than just hockey that got Sanheim sent back to the A. The post I saw mentioned maturity issues...( i think it was in the Mrazek thread) .

Everyone matures at their own pace, with Sanheim I never thought "NHL hockey" was the full reason he wasn't playing. 

Folks here would be screaming about Manning getting minutes instead of Travis based on his small sample size.

Sanheim must have been dogging it in practice, or sulking over his minutes... who knows what. There had to be more to the story than hockey performance though. 

The guy is a first round pick with a **** pile of talent, if he needs to grow up off the ice so we don't see Mike Richards part deux....then I'm okay with him being in the A.  

Yes, that was me. It was mentioned by the host of the Sons of Penn podcast. He said the info comes from a person in the know, and he didn't want to elaborate but said there were some off-ice issues. 

I have no idea how credible that is, but on the surface it does make sense. These are young kids, barely out of their teens, all of a sudden making millions of dollars and expected to be a professional. It can be a tough jump. 

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, that was me. It was mentioned by the host of the Sons of Penn podcast. He said the info comes from a person in the know, and he didn't want to elaborate but said there were some off-ice issues. 

I have no idea how credible that is, but on the surface it does make sense. These are young kids, barely out of their teens, all of a sudden making millions of dollars and expected to be a professional. It can be a tough jump. 

Also they go from stars eating big minutes to having to earn it all over again. 

So yes some not saying Travis fits the mold come in with this sense of self entitlement being a 1st round pick and all too.

Some thinking they don't have to put the work in and prove themselves.

Hak wants his kids to be good without the puck too.

Like i said not saying TS has this issue but if reports are out there that he was then i hope this brings him back down to earth.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

It just seems completely at odds with every other thing I've heard about him. First on/last off the ice, great work ethic, etc. Obviously, that's just from observations from the outside (including my own at rookie camp), so it doesn't get into the film room or locker room or whatever, but this is the first I've heard that. Every other source has said just the opposite.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I read here, it was more than just hockey that got Sanheim sent back to the A. The post I saw mentioned maturity issues...( i think it was in the Mrazek thread) .

Everyone matures at their own pace, with Sanheim I never thought "NHL hockey" was the full reason he wasn't playing. 

Folks here would be screaming about Manning getting minutes instead of Travis based on his small sample size.

Sanheim must have been dogging it in practice, or sulking over his minutes... who knows what. There had to be more to the story than hockey performance though. 

The guy is a first round pick with a **** pile of talent, if he needs to grow up off the ice so we don't see Mike Richards part deux....then I'm okay with him being in the A.  

Well with the way he's playing in the A it looks like whatever issues he had, he's put them behind him. 13 points in 12 games and a +11 looks pretty impressive to me. I don't see someone sulking doing that.

Phantoms win 6-4 vs Utica. 

Phil Varone with a hatty and a helper.

Three Stars
1st 2nd 3rd
4214.jpg
6501.jpg
5442.jpg

John Muse outduels Thatcher Demko.

Phantoms rollin 8-1-0-1 in last 10. Leads Atlantic by 10 points!

18 hours ago, AJgoal said:

It just seems completely at odds with every other thing I've heard about him. First on/last off the ice, great work ethic, etc. Obviously, that's just from observations from the outside (including my own at rookie camp), so it doesn't get into the film room or locker room or whatever, but this is the first I've heard that. Every other source has said just the opposite.

From the guy who follows the team pretty closely...

Just another view of it.

@OccamsRazor @AJgoal

To your point,  prior to Brel's post, I had never heard anything about TS being a problem either.

Immaturity can manifest itself in many ways, we could be talking about something as simple as he isn't eating well or resting enough being on his own and the LVP has better support for young guys...who knows ?

His play seems to be saying he wants another crack at the bigs and certainly doesn't fit the profile of guy pouting because he was sent down.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor @AJgoal

To your point,  prior to Brel's post, I had never heard anything about TS being a problem either.

Immaturity can manifest itself in many ways, we could be talking about something as simple as he isn't eating well or resting enough being on his own and the LVP has better support for young guys...who knows ?

His play seems to be saying he wants another crack at the bigs and certainly doesn't fit the profile of guy pouting because he was sent down.

Exactly. The context of the quote was not about "issues", but of being sent back not solely because of on-ice play. There was an off-ice component to it. "Issues" or "problems" was not used to describe it.

Maybe there's nothing to it at all - that's just what the host reported hearing from a supposed source. Of course, maybe that source was Eklund lol.

9 hours ago, brelic said:

Exactly. The context of the quote was not about "issues", but of being sent back not solely because of on-ice play. There was an off-ice component to it. "Issues" or "problems" was not used to describe it.

Maybe there's nothing to it at all - that's just what the host reported hearing from a supposed source. Of course, maybe that source was Eklund lol.

E5 !!

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice.

I thought this kid would go back to junior again next year (and he still could) but man come next camp he may force himself onto the team with his play like TK and Ivan did. Guess we'll see.

The question is, where do you play him? I suppose you could use him the fourth line, but that kind of wastes what Frost brings to the table. You could play him on the wing, but that also doesn't take advantage of what he brings either. I think junior might be the best place for him to go back to, add a bit more bulk to his frame and play in a world junior tournament.

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The question is, where do you play him?

Right now on February the 25th it is actually too hard to say....however you could move a guy out the lineup in a trade...my guy who has been disappointing this year would be Weal....buh bye ship him somewhere for something...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right now on February the 25th it is actually too hard to say....however you could move a guy out the lineup in a trade...my guy who has been disappointing this year would be Weal....buh bye ship him somewhere for something...

Why? Drop Weal to the 4th line. It's not as if he's terribly expensive, and he brings a lot of energy and some scoring. I'd buy out Lehtera and/or Weise before I move Weal.

With regards to Frost, there's (hopefully) going to be a center spot open with Filpulla's departure. You figure Frost, Vorobyev, and Laughton are going to compete for the 3C. If one of the two younger guys beats out Laughton, he slides to the 4th line. Figure, barring trades:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

Raffl - Frost/Vorobyev - Simmonds

Lehtera/Weise - Laughton - Weal

You might want for one more middle six forward, but that has the potential to be a pretty exciting, young group.

ETA, you also have Vecchione who figures to get a decent look in camp as well.

34 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Why? Drop Weal to the 4th line. It's not as if he's terribly expensive, and he brings a lot of energy and some scoring. I'd buy out Lehtera and/or Weise before I move Weal.

Well he is small and doesn't play defense all that well need more than stick checking from the 4th line.

And if someone needs to go he and his contract and the most moveable.

They are stuck with Lehtera and Weise.

Lehtera could be a trade deadline move next year maybe...

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he is small and doesn't play defense all that well need more than stick checking from the 4th line.

He is also capable of carrying the play and pushing it into the offensive zone, and controlling it that way. Remember how effective the Laughton - Raffl - Leier line was at the beginning of the season? I want to keep talented guys, not send them away.

And if someone needs to go he and his contract and the most moveable.

Why does someone have to go? Filpulla is UFA after the season, so you have an open spot already.

They are stuck with Lehtera and Weise.

Lehtera's buyout numbers are very favorable. 1.37 million next year, 1.67 the year after. But with Filpulla coming off the books, you get an open roster spot organically. You don't need cap space going into next year, you have everyone but Manning and Filpulla under contract, so you could even bury one or both without an issue.

Lehtera could be a trade deadline move next year maybe...

16 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He is also capable of carrying the play and pushing it into the offensive zone, and controlling it that way. Remember how effective the Laughton - Raffl - Leier line was at the beginning of the season? I want to keep talented guys, not send them away.

Why does someone have to go? Filpulla is UFA after the season, so you have an open spot already.

Lehtera's buyout numbers are very favorable. 1.37 million next year, 1.67 the year after. But with Filpulla coming off the books, you get an open roster spot organically. You don't need cap space going into next year, you have everyone but Manning and Filpulla under contract, so you could even bury one or both without an issue.

Because i don't think they buy Lehtera out.

And if they don't move Filp i think there is a good chance they resign him.

They don't have to move Weal but Vex i think could get a spot too...even before Vorobyev.

Weal isn't killing them yet he has some value in a trade.

Who knows the could RJ Lehtera. I just don't feel like they will.

We'll see.

Tony does a great job of covering the Phantoms so here is a good read from him...

http://insideahlhockey.com/article/how-does-trade-deadline-affect-lehigh-valley

I hope these kids gain some valuable playoff experience to prepare them for the next step in their development.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Tony does a great job of covering the Phantoms so here is a good read from him...

http://insideahlhockey.com/article/how-does-trade-deadline-affect-lehigh-valley

I hope these kids gain some valuable playoff experience to prepare them for the next step in their development.

Additionally, the Flyers prospects playing in juniors and the collegiate ranks are eligible to join the Phantoms on amateur tryouts at the end of their respective seasons as well.

I honestly really doubt it, but I have to wonder if Frost would get a look.

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Additionally, the Flyers prospects playing in juniors and the collegiate ranks are eligible to join the Phantoms on amateur tryouts at the end of their respective seasons as well.

I honestly really doubt it, but I have to wonder if Frost would get a look.

Sure he would once his team is eliminated from the playoffs.

He will get a chance like several other Flyer prospect do every year.

You will see guys like Rubtsov, Bunnaman and other join as they get eliminated.

The ones who are hurt/nursing an injury won't.

But guys they will be looking to sign to ELC will get a strong look if but to just practice with the Flyers.

It is good for their development.

Not everyone of them will get a chance but a select few will.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure he would once his team is eliminated from the playoffs.

He will get a chance like several other Flyer prospect do every year.

You will see guys like Rubtsov, Bunnaman and other join as they get eliminated.

The ones who are hurt/nursing an injury won't.

But guys they will be looking to sign to ELC will get a strong look if but to just practice with the Flyers.

It is good for their development.

Not everyone of them will get a chance but a select few will.

I'd be interested to see him getting some AHL time. It would be an interesting yardstick to have at this point. If any extended play were to happen, I imagine he'd be in a bottom six role for LHV. That would still give him some solid opportunities to show (or not) that his current impressive game is adaptable to a stronger and faster league.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I'd be interested to see him getting some AHL time. It would be an interesting yardstick to have at this point. If any extended play were to happen, I imagine he'd be in a bottom six role for LHV. That would still give him some solid opportunities to show (or not) that his current impressive game is adaptable to a stronger and faster league.

If his junior season runs long though you could probaly see him not join to just give him some rest.

The Soo are playing well and not sure how far they could go.

@flyercanuck

Would know more how deep they can go.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If his junior season runs long though you could probaly see him not join to just give him some rest.

The Soo are playing well and not sure how far they could go.

@flyercanuck

Would know more how deep they can go.

Frosts Greyhounds are the #1 team in the nation. So not only are they in 1st overall in the OHL but are ranked best team including the Q and Dub.

It's not a guarantee that they'll make the Memorial Cup, but unless Rick picks them to win it all, I'd bet they do.

Archived