LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Also it isn't meant to be a knock on Laughton and Leier but the quality of talent is just head and shoulder above where this club use to be...and i'm sure this is just what Ron had envisioned and the way he wants it...

...he wants the kids to push themselves and utilize the AHL for what it was meant to be a place to sharpen your skills but don't take too long and rest on your laurels or you will be passed over by others.

If the Petr Straka's and Dannick Martel's along with the Leier (just used as example) don't work on their game they will soon be doing it for another club because their are stocking the coffers with skill from here on out.

Ask Straka!

Leier and Laughton have pretty much done everything the team has asked of them as far as working on their games in the AHL goes. 

Right now the problem is roster space more than anything.  

PEB and VDV going allows for the Raffls, Weises and Reads to fall down the depth chart enough that the Lindbloms and Patricks and Weals of the world might actually get their top 9 minutes.

But that still leaves the Vecchiones, Leiers and Laughtons out in the cold looking in at 4th line minutes.  

I think the long and short of it is that Hextall mustn't be afraid to have Weise and Read ride the press box pine as fill ins if it creates room for these kids.  

They're not going to get any better in the minors at this point.   Well Vecchione might... but Leier and Laughton are going to be what they are at that Level.  They're only real chance to improve is with NHL minutes at this point in their development.  

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

But that still leaves the Vecchiones, Leiers and Laughtons out in the cold looking in at 4th line minutes.

I'm afraid Vecchione is going to start out in the AHL if for no other reason than the log jam you mentioned. He is waivers exempt so that if where he will start i expect.

Laughton and Leier for their age and speed i would love to see in place in the lineup over Weise and Read. Hak has shown he will scratch those two if he see fit so it will be up to Laughton and Leier to have good camps and preseason to steal a spot.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm afraid Vecchione is going to start out in the AHL if for no other reason than the log jam you mentioned. He is waivers exempt so that if where he will start i expect.

Laughton and Leier for their age and speed i would love to see in place in the lineup over Weise and Read. Hak has shown he will scratch those two if he see fit so it will be up to Laughton and Leier to have good camps and preseason to steal a spot.

It won't be bad for him exactly, but I think you're right.  Because he will be waiver exempt and Laughton won't, I will assume that Hextall will have little choice.

If however He's rudely outplaying the likes of Read or Weise, I could see Hextall giving him the spot for a stretch.  Those guys can ride the pine and jump in as needed.

I highly doubt Hextall would send either to the minor leagues, but if he did and they got claimed off waivers... meh... no big deal, someone saves us some cap room.  

Ultimately though I think you're right, Vex will start in Lehigh.  My fear isn't that he'll start there, it's that he'll get stuck there the way Weal and Leier did.  

I don't expect the guy to be a top 6 Center in this league, but I think he could be a nearly ideal 4th line and PK Center for this team, winning a ton of face offs and playing position based checking hockey in his own end.  

Apparently Laughton has had trouble coming to terms with this being his lot in life... I say cool... let the guy who is good at it already and needs pro minutes to get used to the league do it.  But that's just me.  Apparently Laughton is a lot "more mature" than he was before.  We'll see.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Leier and Laughton have pretty much done everything the team has asked of them as far as working on their games in the AHL goes. 

Also depend on where they get slotted. Laughton need to be at LW i think besides the fact that the Flyers already have 700 centers and are technically thin at LW that would be the best slot for him maybe on the 4th line. The downside is Leier also is a LW.

Sitting here in July due to a numbers game Lindblom and Vecchione could be forced to start the year on the Phantom's top line.

The best thing they all can do is have a great camp and force Hexy to traded somebodies away to make room.

Or if he doesn't care about eating cap space....he could waive Read and Weise to make room.

It is good to have the space so he doesn't paint himself into a corner. As of right now i can't see anyone else being added to the team.

There is just no room even for a tryout contract.

Weal-Giroux-Simmer

Filppula-Patrick-Voracek

Laughton-Coots-Konecny

Leier-Lehtera-Raffl

---------------------------------

Weise Read

I can see it like this...

Lindblom-Vecchione-Mcdonald 

Martel-Varone-Aube-Kubel

Fazleev-Vorobyov-Bardreau

Goulbourne-Carey-Knight

Something like this on the Phantoms till room can be made. Of course none of it set in stone and subject to change.

This could be a pleasant problem in terms of the depth and youth that Hextall's building. With regards to rookies, I expect at least five, maybe six, rookies to crack the lineup. For certain we know that Lindblom and Patrick should be added to the forwards and I really think that Morin, Hagg and Sanheim are cracking the defense. This should be a very interesting year in Philadelphia.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Also depend on where they get slotted. Laughton need to be at LW i think besides the fact that the Flyers already have 700 centers and are technically thin at LW that would be the best slot for him maybe on the 4th line. The downside is Leier also is a LW.

Sitting here in July due to a numbers game Lindblom and Vecchione could be forced to start the year on the Phantom's top line.

The best thing they all can do is have a great camp and force Hexy to traded somebodies away to make room.

Or if he doesn't care about eating cap space....he could waive Read and Weise to make room.

It is good to have the space so he doesn't paint himself into a corner. As of right now i can't see anyone else being added to the team.

There is just no room even for a tryout contract.

Weal-Giroux-Simmer

Filppula-Patrick-Voracek

Laughton-Coots-Konecny

Leier-Lehtera-Raffl

---------------------------------

Weise Read

I can see it like this...

Lindblom-Vecchione-Mcdonald 

Martel-Varone-Aube-Kubel

Fazleev-Vorobyov-Bardreau

Goulbourne-Carey-Knight

Something like this on the Phantoms till room can be made. Of course none of it set in stone and subject to change.

And people wonder why they traded Schenn.  

Im not a huge fan of Laughton with Coots. 

Lehtera is a kller and i keep keep forgetting about him.  Quality player but the already have a read Raffl and Weise.  They don't need another one. 

I really dont think laughton leier and Lehtera all make tgevevery night roster. 

That's it, with the exception of the draft picks. And Patrick will get 925,000x3 with pretty close to near max incentives, I would imagine.

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fingers crossed. I hope this kid can turn into a free agent steal like Myers!!!!!

The fact that Kosorenkov has history with both Rubtsov and Laberge can only be a good thing going forward. Hopefully they sign him. Sick set of hands and good wheels to go along with it. I like that he plays a hard game for not being the biggest guy in the world. He'll be a heart and soul type player.

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

With the other skilled wingers we have drafted the past couple of years, I don't see Weal, Leier or Laughton being with the Flyers for more than a couple of seasons

The cream will rise to the top....

On 7/19/2017 at 6:55 PM, RonJeremy said:

With the other skilled wingers we have drafted the past couple of years, I don't see Weal, Leier or Laughton being with the Flyers for more than a couple of seasons

I could possibly see Weal not being around, but Leier and Laughton will stay as their skillsets are perfect for the heavy defensive assignments. I think you're looking at the beginning of a very important fourth line in that these guys won't only be just checkers, they'll also be relied on for offense and special teams play as well. I think we're more likely to see guys like Simmonds and Voracek get moved simply because guys like Allison and Aube-Kubel really aren't cut for bottom six/fourth line duties. That's not their skill set.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is a big year for a lot of Phantom prospects because next year they have about 10 possible new guys coming in...

RW-Kase 

C/LW-Rubtsov

C-Laberge

C/LW-Bunnaman

C-Salinitri

LW-Twarynski

D-Amorosa

D-Drake

G-Hart 

G-Sandstrom

Not sure if the Flyers will sign Twarynski, Amorosa and Drake or go the Doves- Mcfall route and let them walk elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nothing wrong with loading up. I'm suspecting that by the end of training camp, MacDonald and Manning are gone and that the veterans on the AHL club will be released and looking for work elsewhere. It's going to be a REAL young group next season in LeHigh Valley next year. Let's see how well Scott Gordon does coaching those guys.

Just now, pilldoc said:

@OccamsRazor

looks like purely a depth move for the Phantoms

Actually it is more depth moves for the ECHL team just because the Phantoms are stacked and don't have room.

However if someone is needed for call up then yes they can fill in on the Phantoms when seen fit.

For example by mid season when Sanheim is recalled Haas can take his spot....6-3 216 pound Dman with some offensive ability would be a good option. 

Archived