SPLIT: Nashville's Off Season Plans

Our needs on offense got bigger by losing James Neal to expansion, we did that because we wanted to protect the top-4 defensemen. Which should be a good indication that none of the top-4 are going to be traded to fill the holes on offense. 

We're also not going to trade top-6 forwards to get top-6 forwards, because what's the point in making that deal? 

So basically any trade has to immediately scratch Josi, Subban, Ellis, Ekholm, Johansen, Forsberg, Arvidsson and Fiala. Rinne has a no-trade and isn't likely to waive it, Saros isn't going anywhere because he's the heir apparent and there's really nothing else coming in the goalie pipeline. 

So, there's draft picks, prospects and depth players. Some of the best pieces available might be...

2018 1st

2018 2nd

2019 1st

2019 2nd

D - Dante Fabbro

C - Vladislav Kamenev

W - Pontus Aberg

W - Colin Wilson

W - Craig Smith

Rumors as to who the Predators are targeting:

C - Matt Duchene

W - James van Riemsdyk

C - Tyler Bozak

C - Joe Thornton

W - Patrick Marleau

C - Martin Hanzal

And of course there's always the stand-pat option to elevate Calle Jarnkrok to 2C with Aberg or Smith on the wing opposite of Fiala. That's a huge risk, but it wouldn't be unusual for GM David Poile to look internally and attempt to address the situation during the season once the problem has proven to be unsolved.

@Honest Bender

Your points on how the Preds will go about filling needs  makes sense to me.

I too don't believe the top 4 D will be moved.....unless there is a 'can't miss' defensive prospect in the system. And even then, the Preds are definitely geared to win NOW. So any players coming to the team, whether through the pipeline or via trade, have to make immediate impacts.

The role players you mentioned don't seem, at least to me, like the type of guys that would net you a ton in return, although I will admit that Craig Smith is a nice versatile player who has hit the 20 goal mark a few times in his career.

Despite a somewhat 'down year' for him this past season, I think he'd make an excellent 3rd line type guy, or maybe even a fill-in 2nd liner on a team that has real good top lines already.

As for targets via trade or free agency, I am not so sure a guys like Duchene or J Van Riemsdyk are a fit for Nashville. Neither plays the tough gritty game that Nashville likes in their players while their offense is very hit or miss.

Tyler Bozak is an intriguing option for Nashville though, if they can get a trade going with the Leafs without giving up too much.

Bozak can still be considered in his prime at age 31, can still skate well, and can contribute on just about any line, provided the expectations for him aren't sky high.

Which of course, leads to the downside of trading for him:

He's on the last year of his contract, and his overall production doesn't quite match his 4.2M salary. Again, if expectations are kept reasonable, and the Preds feel they can ignore the somewhat high price tag on him, he may fit in well...and even see an uptick in production playing with more two way oriented players on Nashville.

Joe Thornton, as a free agent, is also an intriguing option.

He says he'd still like to center a top six line (there was an article on this a couple days ago...can't remember where I read it though), but IS he still a top six center? And at what price?

The article I read also mentioned his rumored asking price is in the neighborhood of 5-6M per, though the term would be short.

That is a lot of money for a 37 yr old who not even the Sharks consider to be a top six guy anymore.

Still though, if he can be convinced to come to Nashville, play for around 2-3M per, and not pressure himself with having to be "the guy", then he might fit in with the Preds as well.

But Montreal and/or the NY Rangers seem to be the places that keep popping up that ARE willing to pay the higher price tag on ol Joe AND willing to give him the top six role he wants.

Duchene seems to be target #1 because he wants to play in Nashville. He's a big country music nut and he loves the city. While he hasn't directly said "I want to play for the Predators", his quotes and tweets have done a pretty good job of translating that sentiment. If they don't trade for him this year, there's a very good chance that he ends up signing here as a free agent down the road. 

It's really hard to see where a trade gets made. I think Poile messed up with the expansion draft. He should have traded Ekholm for a center then Preds could have gone 7-3-1. Then later trade a pick for a #4 defender, we don't need a superstar in that spot, Subban can definitely carry a pairing. Now he's going to have to pay quite a bit to fill TWO holes, or just not fill them and have a big weakness on the roster. 

And no, Craig Smith isn't the answer as he's regressed each season. Sure he might end up hitting 20 again, but it's a real stretch to consider his overall game to be second line quality. The best scenario in my opinion would be if Kamenev and Aberg show that they're ready for those spots in training camp, then Poile ends up looking smart again and doesn't have to waste assets to correct mistakes. 

I don't see how Philly is a good trading partner though for the reasons others have pointed out already.

As for overall off season plans, I think re-signing both Arvidsson and Johansen (both RFA's) is a no brainer, and should be taking up most of the GM's time.

According to capfriendly, the Preds currently have 22.7M in cap space and both Johansen and Arvy were big parts of how well Nashville played and should be rewarded for it. I think both are the real deal in the NHL, even at their still young ages.

I don't know anything about Aberg, but he is an RFA as well, and it sounded before like you think he could be a difference maker as well.

Losing James Neal is a large hole to fill for this team, but in the grand scheme of things, not impossible.

Neal started to show cracks in his game last season, and as he ages, one can expect those cracks will become more prounounced.

Not saying he is done by any stretch, but I think the Penguins and most recently your Preds, have gotten the best years out of him to date.

Filip Forsberg will simply have to step up his game as a winger (if he isn't being moved back to C) and quit those slow starts he is getting known for.

A trio of Forsberg, Johansen, and Arvidsson could be awesome and rival Tampa Bay's Triplets (Ondrej Palat, Tyler Johnson, and Nikita Kucherov) back when they made their splash in the NHL.

In fact, I have said on other threads that Viktor Arvidsson reminds me of a Swedish version of Nikita Kucherov.

That is to say, a speedy, high octane game, with sniper ability and a knack for making defenders look REAL foolish on the ice, despite their relatively small stature.

As for Craig Smith, yea, I see your point on him, though I still think he can be a useful player in the right role.

But, the Preds also have Colin Wilson who is a similar player, and Nashville likely doesn't need two of the same type of role player like that.

Jarnkrok? A 2C?

Hmm. Not sure. 

Looking at his numbers he has never been a prolific type scorer, BUT, if he can pick up his assist numbers greatly, while maintaining a somewhat reasonable 15 goals or so per season, I think he can slot in as a decent 2C.

Seems he was at his best in the lower leagues when he had high assist numbers...meaning, he is seeing and finding his scoring linemates with regularity.

Defense is pretty much set, IMO, for now. Top 4 is locked in, only thing is to have them elevate their game even more to possible elite status (or close to it), while the team figures out who can competently man the bottom pairings and the 7th D role.

Last thing the Preds should at least START to look at, is who will replace Pekka Rinne.

Rinne has been so solid for so many years, but recently has looked more mortal.

Saros could be the guy, but maybe stockpiling some other options (if they haven't already) in goal within their system wouldn't hurt in case Saros turns out to be a false prophet.

As we all know, goalies are very volatile bunch and can go from bad to good, or good to bad in a heartbeat......and most of what ails them usually is between the ears if its not mechanical.

At 34, Rinne may have two good years left in him (if he can stay healthy), but if the Preds don't want to regress to bottom feeders again, they need to make sure they have a reasonable replacement soon.

@Honest Bender

I think the Preds should go for two forwards that would make them tougher to play against...yet they are older and shouldn't want much...

Justin Williams and Scott Hartnell.

I know you need center depth but these two wingers could help a lot.

Well nailed one Hartnell to Preds one year deal.

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-sign-scott-hartnell-to-one-year-contract/c-290253050

Predators trade Colin Wilson to Avalanche for 4th-round pick, per report

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/1/15908324/colin-wilson-trade-predators-avalanche-nhl-2017

Well, that brings Hartnell full circle, huh?  Lavy had to play some role in that, wouldn't you think? 

Ironic that it's James Neal out and Scott Hartnell in. Lol

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Well, that brings Hartnell full circle, huh?  Lavy had to play some role in that, wouldn't you think? 

:smileyandcomputer:   an HF trade rumor...     Giroux for Johansen

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

:smileyandcomputer:   an HF trade rumor...     Giroux for Johansen

I am MORE than willing to part ways with Giroux, but it had better be more than just Johansen, even for as talented as Ryan is.

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Not a bad deal either i could live with Scott in Philly for 1 year 1 mill.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF?? Really is this created by a poster or another source?? And no way.

lol,  this rumor started here, by me.   :blowingakiss:

I'd take him over Weise in a heartbeat!

I'd take a dog on skates over either one of them....oh, wait. More entertainment value.

Besides the Pens did real well taking him out the game...1 point (a goal in 6 games) no pass!

They keyed in on him. Johansen, (Fisher was out at times) and Fiala were out and they had no quality offensive depth. I wouldn't make too much out of that.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

They keyed in on him. Johansen, (Fisher was out at times) and Fiala were out and they had no quality offensive depth. I wouldn't make too much out of that.

For 6 mill i would. Pass.

38 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I'd take a dog on skates over either one of them....oh, wait. More entertainment value.

Who stays on his feet longer? The dog or Hartnell? 

I don't want Hartnell and wasn't trying to imply it. Just saying Hartnell and Neal on the same team, given their history, apparently violates the laws of nature. So, funny to me that one is coming in as the other is leaving. 

As for the fantasy HF trade rumor. I wouldn't do Giroux for Johansen straight up so there'd better be something else coming back. And I'd do it with Forsberg coming back long before Jossi. I like Jossi but, again, I'm not bringing in any defense right now. We have our own coming.  And Forsberg (with Johansen, not by himself) would instantly improve our offense. 

But, as OR said, complete fantasy. Fun game to play, though. 

Archived