Flames and Hurricanes make a trade ....

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Carolina has Dealt Eddie Lack, Ryan Murphy and a 7th in 2019 to Calgary for Keegan Danzig and a 6th Rounder in 2019....Very interesting deal....

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-get-goalie-lack-from-hurricanes-in-multi-player-deal-1.792857

Pretty much re-confirming what we already knew. Elliott won't be back in Calgary.

Kind of a "meh" deal for both sides.

Unless Eddie Lack suddenly turns it around and unseats Mike Smith as the number one goalie.

Lack played pretty well for stretches while a backup in Vancouver, but was quite mediocre (some days good) over in Carolina where he had ample opportunity to steal away the #1 job from Cam Ward.

Needless to say, even with a oft injured Ward and a Carolina team that continually 're-arranged furniture (dam, I am starting to love that phrase...hah) trying to get a spark going, Lack STILL couldn't run with the number one job.

He will likely get another chance to do so in Calgary as Mike Smith will surely need some time on IR due to some ailment or the other. It's just Mike Smith, it's in his contract, he gets time off on IR per his deal. ;)

Which means Lack will get yet another chance to prove he is more than just a 'body in goalie gear' who sometimes plays well.

Maybe (D) Ryan Murphy turns into something for Calgary, maybe Keegan Kanzig turns into something for the Hurricanes...who knows.

Kanzig IS a big boy... 6'6 240...but can he play in the NHL?

Then you have the very exciting swapping of 6th and 7th rounders.

Like I said, "meh" sounding deal where the centerpiece seems to be Eddie Lack.

13 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Kind of a "meh" deal for both sides.

Unless Eddie Lack suddenly turns it around and unseats Mike Smith as the number one goalie.

Lack played pretty well for stretches while a backup in Vancouver, but was quite mediocre (some days good) over in Carolina where he had ample opportunity to steal away the #1 job from Cam Ward.

Needless to say, even with a oft injured Ward and a Carolina team that continually 're-arranged furniture (dam, I am starting to love that phrase...hah) trying to get a spark going, Lack STILL couldn't run with the number one job.

He will likely get another chance to do so in Calgary as Mike Smith will surely need some time on IR due to some ailment or the other. It's just Mike Smith, it's in his contract, he gets time off on IR per his deal. ;)

Which means Lack will get yet another chance to prove he is more than just a 'body in goalie gear' who sometimes plays well.

Maybe (D) Ryan Murphy turns into something for Calgary, maybe Keegan Kanzig turns into something for the Hurricanes...who knows.

Kanzig IS a big boy... 6'6 240...but can he play in the NHL?

Then you have the very exciting swapping of 6th and 7th rounders.

Like I said, "meh" sounding deal where the centerpiece seems to be Eddie Lack.

The center piece in this deal is Ryan Murphy the 12th pick in 2011.

Not the journeyman undrafted free agent backup goalie known as Eddie "noone even wanted me on waivers" Lack.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not the journeyman undrafted free agent backup goalie known as Eddie "noone even wanted me on waivers" Lack.

Ah, well, I stand corrected then.

Ryan Murphy doesn't seem all that exciting to me in either case, though like I said, he may turn into something after all.

I figured Lack simply because I KNOW Mike Smith will be injured more than once this coming year.

15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ah, well, I stand corrected then.

Ryan Murphy doesn't seem all that exciting to me in either case, though like I said, he may turn into something after all.

I figured Lack simply because I KNOW Mike Smith will be injured more than once this coming year.

He is not that exciting and have never lived up to that pick.

However in Calgary he will more than likely be a 3rd pair type.

You have Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Bartowski and Murphy pretty solid group. He will do good as a bottom pair maybe.

Not surprised to see Carolina moving on from Lack. When the coach rips you publicly like Bill Peters did late-season, you're not usually going to be around for a long time after that.

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So much for the "centerpiece" Ryan Murphy.

Calgary promptly puts him on waivers.

This may have been all about Eddie Lack, such as it is, after all.

Mike Smith simply cannot be counted on for a full season without multiple injuries.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So much for the "centerpiece" Ryan Murphy.

Calgary promptly puts him on waivers.

This may have been all about Eddie Lack, such as it is, after all.

Mike Smith simply cannot be counted on for a full season without multiple injuries.

Hhhhhmmmm you may be right.

Murphy will land somewhere. No much at all to buy him out.

No now i understand. You're only allowed 2 buyout on the books at a time.

Canes have Semin and Wisniewski on the books so that is why they had to trade him they couldn't buy him out. So Lack was to help sweeten the deal. Makes sense now.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

I think Smith and Lack is an upgrade on Elliot and Johnson. I'm happy with both of these moves. Hopefully Lack will have a great season as a back up goalie for us.

I thought Smith was in Arizona?  Are we talking about that Smith?  He is very good. And maybe the best on this list if that is who we are talking about?  How did he wind up in this conversation?  I thought he was a Coyote?

8 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I thought Smith was in Arizona?  Are we talking about that Smith?  He is very good. And maybe the best on this list if that is who we are talking about?  How did he wind up in this conversation?  I thought he was a Coyote?

He was traded to Calgary prior to the expansion draft, for Johnson and I think a pick.

Chad Johnson (UFA - signed in Buffalo), Brandon Hickey, and a conditional 3rd.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

He was traded to Calgary prior to the expansion draft, for Johnson and I think a pick.

Chad Johnson (UFA - signed in Buffalo), Brandon Hickey, and a conditional 3rd.

Well he should be the starter for sure in Calgary.  Calgary may have very quietly become a better team and certainly should be playoff bound?  If they can score like they diid a couple years ago.  But likely not enough to be a top threat to win the West.

24 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well he should be the starter for sure in Calgary.  Calgary may have very quietly become a better team and certainly should be playoff bound?  If they can score like they diid a couple years ago.  But likely not enough to be a top threat to win the West.

Not enough to be a top threat to win the West? Do you know who we traded for on defense too? Everyone is saying Calgary most likely have the best defensive core in the NHL now too. We should definitely be playoff bound, now we just have to know how to beat Anaheim! lol!

I think Calgary and Carolina will both be improved from last year. Carolina's still in the toughest division in hockey, so it may not show up in the standings, but they're poised for a long run of relevance.

Just now, FriendlyGuitarist said:

Not enough to be a top threat to win the West? Do you know who we traded for on defense too? Everyone is saying Calgary most likely have the best defensive core in the NHL now too. We should definitely be playoff bound, now we just have to know how to beat Anaheim! lol!

Calgary loaded up on defense to counter Edmonton - smarter than trying to out offense them. I like their moves, they're solidly in the playoffs this year.

56 minutes ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

Well it wont be easy now that they have the best goalie on the planet.  But you guys I wish you success. I like the Flames.    I hope those hillbillies in Nashville get freakin hammered.  They sucked out big time and ruined a good final.  I am hoping my boys  take a big step forward this year

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, FriendlyGuitarist said:

I think Smith and Lack is an upgrade on Elliot and Johnson. I'm happy with both of these moves. Hopefully Lack will have a great season as a back up goalie for us.

Wow, really??

I mean, when healthy, Mike Smith, IMO, IS the best goalie of that quartet.....but as I have stated many times (and as Smith himself has shown us), he just cannot be counted on to stay healthy for the duration of a season, and will, in fact, miss large chunks of it due to something or the other.

So yea, going one for one, and both being healthy, I'd take Smith over Elliot, and I DO believe BOTH goalies are 'system goalies'.

As for Lack vs Johnson on the backup roles, I will take Chad Johnson as my backup every single time over Eddie Lack.

I will give Lack the benefit of the doubt as I have seen him play well here and there, but Chad Johnson, while by no means anywhere near a viable starter, is a very capable back up if you keep his games to 20-25.... 30 games max, per season.

Johnson has shown himself to be very consistent in that role over the years.

Mark my words:  Eddie Lack WILL BE seeing significant time as a starting goalie. How he will do is anyone's guess. If you get "Vancouver Eddie", the team will do well.....but if you get "Carolina Eddie", it may be a long season for the Flames and the defense may find itself NOT as confident if they think the goalie isn't pulling his own weight.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wow, really??

I mean, when healthy, Mike Smith, IMO, IS the best goalie of that quartet.....but as I have stated many times (and as Smith himself has shown us), he just cannot be counted on to stay healthy for the duration of a season, and will, in fact, miss large chunks of it due to something or the other.

So yea, going one for one, and both being healthy, I'd take Smith over Elliot, and I DO believe BOTH goalies are 'system goalies'.

As for Lack vs Johnson on the backup roles, I will take Chad Johnson as my backup every single time over Eddie Lack.

I will give Lack the benefit of the doubt as I have seen him play well here and there, but Chad Johnson, while by no means anywhere near a viable starter, is a very capable back up if you keep his games to 20-25.... 30 games max, per season.

Johnson has shown himself to be very consistent in that role over the years.

Mark my words:  Eddie Lack WILL BE seeing significant time as a starting goalie. How he will do is anyone's guess. If you get "Vancouver Eddie", the team will do well.....but if you get "Carolina Eddie", it may be a long season for the Flames and the defense may find itself NOT as confident if they think the goalie isn't pulling his own weight.

In this day and age, hardly any player plays a full season so you have to expect to have injuries and I am okay with that. Having Smith instead of Elliot for the playoffs is a huge upgrade. Elliot always chokes under pressure. He sucked big time in the 1st round against the Ducks and let in so many soft goals.

The Flames have a pretty good goalie coach and I'm sure he'll be working with Lack a lot and like you said, he can become his old self again like he was in Vancouver. Having a change of scenery and a great defense in front of him should help him play a lot better.

Archived