Brian Elliott Signs with the Flyers

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UGH!!  :bonkingheadonwall:

I'm sorry I know this is not a cup year but we are just getting more of the same: more excruciatingly soft goals at the worst possible times which will only add to our frustration and to that of the young players during the ongoing rebuild.   

I refer you to exhibit A: My season epitaph for the Flames found in the thread of the same name.

Posted April 20 ·

"Brian Elliott officially sucks, causing the 2017 Flames to be swept by the Ducks"

4 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

I'm sorry I know this is not a cup year but we are just getting more of the same: more excruciatingly soft goals at the worst possible times which will only add to our frustration and to that of the young players during the ongoing rebuild.   

I refer you to exhibit A: My season epitaph for the Flames found in the thread of the same name.

Posted April 20 ·

"Brian Elliott officially sucks, causing the 2017 Flames to be swept by the Ducks"

:plus1:

I like it. No assets used, perfect length, cheap salary. 

And again more evidence for a possible soft tank. We hope all the guys do well next year and overachieve, but if they don't, there are some nice picks to be had, and Hextall has both the picks, prospects, and assets on the current squad to make a serious move up in the draft. Package Giroux and St Louis 1st for a top 5 pick? 

Regardless of how they do, I'm excited for the season to watch the true beginning of a new era taking shape. Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Weal, Hagg, and possibly Morin. 

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

And again more evidence for a possible soft tank. We hope all the guys do well next year and overachieve, but if they don't, there are some nice picks to be had, and Hextall has both the picks, prospects, and assets on the current squad to make a serious move up in the draft. Package Giroux and St Louis 1st for a top 5 pick? 

Regardless of how they do, I'm excited for the season to watch the true beginning of a new era taking shape. Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Weal, Hagg, and possibly Morin. 

^^ this ^^ .... not happy with whom the goalie is but Elliot is coming to us on the cheap as a bridge until the younger guys are ready ......

as the saying goes ...it is what it is .......

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/6/30/15904644/brian-elliott-contract-extension-flyers-nhl-free-agency-2017

Brian Elliott signs 2-year, $5.5 million contract with Flyers

Brian Elliott and Michal Neuvirth are going to be your Flyers goaltending tandem these next two seasons. Andy Strickland of Fox Sports Midwest reports that the Flyers and Elliott have agreed on a two-year deal worth $2.75 million per year.

The Inquirer confirmed reports that Elliott will sign here officially on Saturday afternoon when free agency opens. The two-year deal is down one year from what was the early talk on Thursday, which had it pinned at a three-year term.

30 minutes ago, brelic said:

That first is top ten protected by the Blues.   If the Blues get a top 10 pick we get their draft pick the flowing year.

Not saying it wont happen but it looks like, that if we pick, we are getting a pick outside the top ten.  If G has another bad year I really don't think there are going to be many suitors for him come the next draft.   

Elliot is what he is... a goalie that can go on a streak, like Mason, but is otherwise not all that good.   The guy was an absolute disaster in the Flames series and he lets in more soft goals than Mason.   It is a bridge deal but they better hope one of the kids turn out to be a good NHL goalie or this revolving door is going to keep going on for the foreseeable future.  Stolarz, in my opinion, is not one of the "kids" I am referring to either.

Hopefully, the tandem can get the job done.   But, I am not confident as it stands right now.  Neuvy and Elliot in back of possibly 2 rookies and McDud is a bit frightening.   

soooooo,   Stolarz has been in the organization now for 5 years….what exactly is his future with the Flyers if he cant even be a back up on the big club? imo it’s time to move on with the other young goalies in the system.  just saying .....

Just now, pilldoc said:

soooooo,   Stolarz has been in the organization now for 5 years….what exactly is his future with the Flyers if he cant even be a back up on the big club? imo it’s time to move on with the other young goalies in the system.  just saying .....

Alex Lyon is going to take his place in the pecking order...in fact he may have already...guess we'll  see...i wouldn't  be shocked if some time the year they trade Stolie...just saying.

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

not sure why people expect Stolarz to be anything more than what he was either. he played less than 10 games and people were ready to give him the reins (some maybe based on the idea of "can't do worse"). he did ok in those games, but that's about it. hoping one of those prospects not named Stolarz can make a difference a few years from now. Elliot = meh. Neuvirth = ugh. Stolarz = shrug.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Honestly, I dont see him being healthy enough to play at the start of the season.  A MCL tear for a goalie is something that is going to take time to heal.  More importantly, he is going to have to get his confidence back on that injured knee.  I know a lot of people think he deserves a shot but I dont think that has anything to do with it...  he needs to get healthy and then go from there.

IMO he is, at best, a backup in the NHL... I have seen him a bunch on the AHL and there is not a lot that jumps out at you.  He is AVERAGE in the AHL - very average.   I think when we are talking about goalie prospects you look at the other kids now.   He will get his chance this year when Neuvy inevitably goes down for a stretch, or passes out during a game, or his blocker hand falls off.... 

3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

not sure why people expect Stolarz to be anything more than what he was either. he played less than 10 games and people were ready to give him the reins (some maybe based on the idea of "can't do worse"). he did ok in those games, but that's about it. hoping one of those prospects not named Stolarz can make a difference a few years from now. Elliot = meh. Neuvirth = ugh. Stolarz = shrug.

:cheers:

Could not agree more.... 

2 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Posted April 20 ·

There is a salary cap.

there was an expansion draft. 

There are no "good UFA goalies.  

I liked Nilsson myself, and I'm ticked Stolarz isn't the backup, but a fill in guy is what the doctor ordered. 

Also, Homer traded Bob. 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

:cheers:

Could not agree more.... 

Yeah... he did better than okay and more importantly the team played better in front of him. 

I for one don't expect more of the same from him.  I expect worse. Because I don't think he's the kind of goalie with a career  .928 save%, a 2.07 GAA, and a .667 winning percentage. 

Thankfully he doesn't have to be quite that good to serve his purpose. I don't see him as a Vezina winning goalie if the future. I'd just rather he or Lyon be in the tandem than Neuwirth.  And Stolarz has only done well so far. It's as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Honestly, I dont see him being healthy enough to play at the start of the season.  A MCL tear for a goalie is something that is going to take time to heal.  More importantly, he is going to have to get his confidence back on that injured knee.  I know a lot of people think he deserves a shot but I dont think that has anything to do with it...  he needs to get healthy and then go from there.

IMO he is, at best, a backup in the NHL... I have seen him a bunch on the AHL and there is not a lot that jumps out at you.  He is AVERAGE in the AHL - very average.   I think when we are talking about goalie prospects you look at the other kids now.   He will get his chance this year when Neuvy inevitably goes down for a stretch, or passes out during a game, or his blocker hand falls off.... 

MCLs aren't quite as bad as you make out.  An ACL and we wouldn't see him til mid season. 

Stolarz not not being the backup has more to do with who the "starter" is than with Stolarz. 

Both th he and Lyon were "average".  Stolarz got some NHL minutes though and did well-better than in the AHL and Better than Mason or Neuvirthbhad been, but albeit against crappier competitor. BUT  as I keep pointing out what I liked about him was how well the team played in front of him. They got to his rebounds well and covered their men and shut down lanes much better.  Whether it was because they were playing safer for the kid or because he controlled and calmed down his rebounds better or a combination, it worked. 

I'll use this as a comparison: Cechmanek was much better at stopping pucks than Esche.  But there's a reason Esche got them to the conference finals and Roman couldn't get out of the 2nd round to save his life. 

Maybe Stolarz has a ceiling of Esche good.  I'll kinda take that for my backup. 

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

MCLs aren't quite as bad as you make out.

Depends on what grade it is.

I know been there done that.

Grade 1 can be a week or two.

Grade 2 can be a month  (a month and a half if there is a set back). However goalies need to take their time with this injury due to the way they use their knees to play the position.

Lyons injured his after Stolie did. Not sure if he tore it or just injured it.

Well, if this is true, then I can say this:

Brian Elliott will get your team some wins when he is going hot, he will frustrate you when he isn't, but then will get going once again...........errrr, then break something and will need time on IR.

I tell you who is probably the happiest about this (provided Philly doesn't cast him off first), is Michel Neurvirth.

Why?

It's Brian Elliott. He is gonna get hurt doing some thing like, stacking the pads, making a kick save....skating around in warm ups.

And he will be giddy cuz he knows he will see plenty of net time in the 2017-18 season! :bigteeth:

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Brian Elliott will get your team some wins when he is going hot, he will frustrate you when he isn't,

I think you can say that about every goalie in the NHL...

5 hours ago, brelic said:

And again more evidence for a possible soft tank.

That is the first good thought I've had about this signing. I can get behind that. However,  want the kids to experience a winning atmosphere though, so even though the idea of another lottery pick is enticing, I still think some real valuable playoff experience for these youngsters would be more important than moving up 3-5 picks in the draft.

Looking at this whole YUCKY UFA goalie crop, Nilsson is one of the only guys with legit upside. He would have been a real sneaky add.

Archived