Brian Elliott Signs with the Flyers

I must admit, I have a personal grudge against Elliott. Two years ago, I'm in the Fantasy playoffs in NAHANA.....Elliott give up 5 goals on the Monday, skips a start, Allen lost, comes back in and allows another 4 later in the week...SCREWED me royally. He then went on to post 3 consecutive shut outs the following week,  AFTER I was knocked out.....will never forgive him for that!!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I must admit, I have a personal grudge against Elliott. Two years ago, I'm in the Fantasy playoffs in NAHANA.....Elliott give up 5 goals on the Monday, skips a start, Allen lost, comes back in and allows another 4 later in the week...SCREWED me royally. He then went on to post 3 consecutive shut outs the following week,  AFTER I was knocked out.....will never forgive him for that!!!

Like I said....very hot, to very frustrating, to very hot again. Till he cracks a toenail.

I mean, it's probably neither here nor there for Philly at this point as I really think their chances at the post season aren't very high this upcoming season.

So it isn't as big a deal who they have in net right now.

BUT, how much they pay that guy in net AND making sure that same guy doesn't break the confidence of the young defensemen Philly is trying to mature IS important.

You guys get Elliott relatively cheap...that's a win.

You get him on a nice short term that could see the youngsters grow during that time....that's a win.

But he has a very pronounced downside and, if Philly keeps him around, expect to see more of Neuvirth than Flyer fans probably care to see because of it.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

And again more evidence for a possible soft tank. We hope all the guys do well next year and overachieve, but if they don't, there are some nice picks to be had, and Hextall has both the picks, prospects, and assets on the current squad to make a serious move up in the draft. Package Giroux and St Louis 1st for a top 5 pick?

a2581501530_16.jpg

this seals it, i won't be paying any attention again next season.  you guys can suffer 900+ days of an intentionally bad team because of some vague light at the end of an open-ended tunnel, but i'm not interested.

3 minutes ago, aziz said:

a2581501530_16.jpg

this seals it, i won't be paying any attention again next season.  you guys can suffer 900+ days of an intentionally bad team because of some vague light at the end of an open-ended tunnel, but i'm not interested.

You never know, aziz, maybe Hextall and organization will finally realize next season the importance of quality starting goaltending. After all, it's been since 1987 that they have had of any respectability...ironic.

11 minutes ago, aziz said:

a2581501530_16.jpg

To each their own. Do what makes you happy! Life is too short to waste it doing things you don't enjoy. 

I skipped last season almost entirely because outside of Provorov and Konecny, there wasn't much entertainment value. 

With potentially four rookies in the lineup, including our #2 overall and a few defensemen we've been waiting to see for years, I'll give them a shot. 

6 hours ago, murraycraven said:

That first is top ten protected by the Blues.   If the Blues get a top 10 pick we get their draft pick the flowing year.

Not saying it wont happen but it looks like, that if we pick, we are getting a pick outside the top ten.  If G has another bad year I really don't think there are going to be many suitors for him come the next draft.   

Elliot is what he is... a goalie that can go on a streak, like Mason, but is otherwise not all that good.   The guy was an absolute disaster in the Flames series and he lets in more soft goals than Mason.   It is a bridge deal but they better hope one of the kids turn out to be a good NHL goalie or this revolving door is going to keep going on for the foreseeable future.  Stolarz, in my opinion, is not one of the "kids" I am referring to either.

Hopefully, the tandem can get the job done.   But, I am not confident as it stands right now.  Neuvy and Elliot in back of possibly 2 rookies and McDud is a bit frightening.   

The Flyers' pick could be top ten. Just not St. Louis' pick.  Giroux + St. Louis' pick could get you into the top 10.

I'm not advocating for that, but it could. 

I think if you're going to move Giroux you should be able to get a king's ransom at the deadline. 

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

soooooo,   Stolarz has been in the organization now for 5 years….what exactly is his future with the Flyers if he cant even be a back up on the big club? imo it’s time to move on with the other young goalies in the system.  just saying .....

I was listening to NHL Home ice on Sirius XM today (sorry, I'm not sure who all was in studio at that point).  They were basically saying more of the same disaster in the Philly crease and while the Flyers have all kinds of young kids trying to learn. 

Then one of them said that maybe Stolarz should be given the chance. The other host:  "oh no, he's not an NHL starter. He'll be lucky to be a backup. I've seen nothing from him. They need to wait on one of the other kids." 

I agree. 

I like the signing, just the same as Mason.  Had a good run after his bad start.  The defense will be better, the forwards should be faster.  Let's get rolling, with Nolan.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I forgot there was a reason to like Elliott.  

Actually, that right there is Elliott in a nutshell. 

21 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

I like the signing, just the same as Mason.  Had a good run after his bad start.  The defense will be better, the forwards should be faster.  Let's get rolling, with Nolan.

Skeptical, but nice to see you posting.

Hmmmm, that is you, pods and I that list the Jets as second favourite. I think it's more than ok to cheer on another team in the other conference. Especially when you factor in the odds of them ever playing a meaningful game against each other. If they do, of course the Flyers automatically go to the front of the line, ....just say'in, the Jets are fun to watch. That is *3* of us, officially considered a trend!!

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

That is the first good thought I've had about this signing. I can get behind that. However,  want the kids to experience a winning atmosphere though, so even though the idea of another lottery pick is enticing, I still think some real valuable playoff experience for these youngsters would be more important than moving up 3-5 picks in the draft.

Looking at this whole YUCKY UFA goalie crop, Nilsson is one of the only guys with legit upside. He would have been a real sneaky add.

I don't want them to tank. I also don't think this is a playoff team yet...especially in goal. If by some fluke they were to make the postseason, I could only see a very short run.

No offence jammer, but would you seriously trade Provorov or Nolan for the fond memories of a 5 game playoff? Cause I sure as heck wouldn't. And I'd take one more piece like that over a handful of playoff games.

Going forward a few years, i'm not thinking we have to beat washed up Ovi or Crosby...we likely have to beat prime McDavid and  Mathews for example.

Patrick isn't in their league. So we'd better make up for that elsewhere. We may well end up having those teams beat at the backend. But they also have Draisaitl or Marner/Nylander. The more top notch talent the better. Then we can worry about playoff experience. I'd still like to see another bluechip forward.

19 hours ago, pilldoc said:

soooooo,   Stolarz has been in the organization now for 5 years….what exactly is his future with the Flyers if he cant even be a back up on the big club? imo it’s time to move on with the other young goalies in the system.  just saying .....

This time last year I said I thought the team did not see Stolarz as having a future in Phily. They just stated it emphatically with this signing

9 minutes ago, sarsippius said:

This time last year I said I thought the team did not see Stolarz as having a future in Phily. They just stated it emphatically with this signing

I personally think it's stupid not to give him a chance, but we all know Neuvirth will get injured at various points this season, so I expect to see Stolarz (or Lyon) at some point

So, I was listening to NHL Home Ice in the car yesterday.  Sorry, I forget who was on at that moment.

Anyway, they were talking about Elliott to Philly and that it was more of the same disaster in the Philly crease.  Then, one of the hosts said something to the effect that it's weird they don't give Stolarz a chance.  The other host says, "Oh, no.  He's not an NHL starter.  He's barely an NHL backup.  I've seen nothing from him that says otherwise."

I'll be shocked if he's wrong.  I mean, 33rd in the AHL in GAA with a 2.92.  Really?  What about this says he's ready?  I realize he was up for awhile, but Lyon got the majority of starts (although not much better numbers).  I really did not want to go into the season with Neuvy and Stolarz. That has UGLY written all over it. 

I know everyone has the new shiny and "give him a chance" thing going on, but this really isn't grounded in reality.   He's simply not that good.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, I was listening to NHL Home Ice in the car yesterday.  Sorry, I forget who was on at that moment.

Anyway, they were talking about Elliott to Philly and that it was more of the same disaster in the Philly crease.  Then, one of the hosts said something to the effect that it's weird they don't give Stolarz a chance.  The other host says, "Oh, no.  He's not an NHL starter.  He's barely an NHL backup.  I've seen nothing from him that says otherwise."

I'll be shocked if he's wrong.  I mean, 33rd in the AHL in GAA with a 2.92.  Really?  What about this says he's ready?  I realize he was up for awhile, but Lyon got the majority of starts (although not much better numbers).  I really did not want to go into the season with Neuvy and Stolarz. That has UGLY written all over it. 

I know everyone has the new shiny and "give him a chance" thing going on, but this really isn't grounded in reality.   He's simply not that good.

How do we know? he's barely played. In his short stint in the NHL, he looked fine. The same people said Bob would never be an impact player in the NHL...2 Vezinas later......

10 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

How do we know? he's barely played. In his short stint in the NHL, he looked fine. The same people said Bob would never be an impact player in the NHL...2 Vezinas later......

He was simply horrible and only played half-time in the AHL.  I mean, in three years his numbers were "okay" in 2015-16, but otherwise horrible.  I realize he was backstopping not a great team and then a developing team, but what do you think he's going to be backstopping on the Flyers?  What about the last 3 years has said he's an NHL goalie?

Why do we have to see him on the varsity team (he's barely played) when he stunk on JV?   

There's some things you don't have to test to know.  If you drop a ball 10 times in a row and it hits the ground, I have little patience for "let's see the 11th time.  How do you know unless you let it drop?"

I've been to Cracker Barrel enough times to know it sucks.  I don't have to go back "just to see" if it still does.

This isn't some stupid Forest Gump movie where a kid goes straight from being unable to walk to running like the wind.

Let's see if he can be remotely competent in the AHL before tossing an NHL season by going in with a career lousy AHLer and a guy who hurts himself brushing his teeth.

He's not Bob.  He isn't Bob at that age. Bob showed good numbers before getting here.  The test was whether he could do it at the NHL level.  We didn't wait long enough and used him poorly.  But there was something to base trying him on.  There is not with Stolarz.

And I doubt there will be.  Some of the other kids will catch him and pass him and he'll be Neil Little part deux. (not 2.0; that indicates an upgrade. He is not).

17 hours ago, King Knut said:

I'll use this as a comparison: Cechmanek was much better at stopping pucks than Esche.  But there's a reason Esche got them to the conference finals and Roman couldn't get out of the 2nd round to save his life.

I'm guessing that the "reason" isn't that the team couldn't score more than two goals in a game against Ottawa in back to back seasons?

:hocky:

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I'm guessing that the "reason" isn't that the team couldn't score more than two goals in a game against Ottawa in back to back seasons?

:hocky:

Now you're being silly.

I'm not particularly thrilled with a Neuvirth / Elliot tandem as I think it kinda defines mediocrity in netminding; no clear #1, no clear skill level improvements, and no clear performance expectations.

On the other hand, this defines our goaltending tandem as a total team effort as the pressure of the forwards, defensemen, and goaltenders appear balanced.  And I believe that to be the philosophy of Hextall and Hakstol.  It is a team effort!    It appears that the main reason Mason left was he wasn't onboard as not being defined as a #1.  So the Flyers will proceed with playing the Hot Goalie or which matchup Hakstol feels will most give the team a win on a given night.

Can it work, absolutely we saw it in the playoffs with Pittsburgh.

Does that make this team unwatchable... -- absolutely not.  

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He was simply horrible and only played half-time in the AHL.  I mean, in three years his numbers were "okay" in 2015-16, but otherwise horrible.  I realize he was backstopping not a great team and then a developing team, but what do you think he's going to be backstopping on the Flyers?  What about the last 3 years has said he's an NHL goalie?

Why do we have to see him on the varsity team (he's barely played) when he stunk on JV?   

There's some things you don't have to test to know.  If you drop a ball 10 times in a row and it hits the ground, I have little patience for "let's see the 11th time.  How do you know unless you let it drop?"

I've been to Cracker Barrel enough times to know it sucks.  I don't have to go back "just to see" if it still does.

This isn't some stupid Forest Gump movie where a kid goes straight from being unable to walk to running like the wind.

Let's see if he can be remotely competent in the AHL before tossing an NHL season by going in with a career lousy AHLer and a guy who hurts himself brushing his teeth.

He's not Bob.  He isn't Bob at that age. Bob showed good numbers before getting here.  The test was whether he could do it at the NHL level.  We didn't wait long enough and used him poorly.  But there was something to base trying him on.  There is not with Stolarz.

And I doubt there will be.  Some of the other kids will catch him and pass him and he'll be Neil Little part deux. (not 2.0; that indicates an upgrade. He is not).

OMG - this was hilarious and spot on.

+5 

I just want to add, that when Stolarz was drafted included in the GMs comments at the time was: we like his size and athleticism.  That screams "project".  Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.  The Morin project appears to be working so if Stolarz is organizational depth, no big loss.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He was simply horrible and only played half-time in the AHL.

C'mon dude you're stretching it a little here.

I get you're trying to make a point but now you sound like my wife (when she is bitching to me about something) distorting reality to get it across.

He has done pretty good in the AHL. Would have had better numbers had he not been called up.

He also had a young blueline in front of him some (Brennan who struggle to play defense).

And some forwards who can't even spell defense (Andy Miele i'm talking to you thank God he went to Europe).

The team in front of him is just getting some talent...they have missed the playoffs for 7 or 8 years for a reason.

However i agree he might not be part of the future the way they treat him it seems yet he has hardly got a chance.

Scott Gordon has to get more out of this team or he needs to be shown the door to much talent down there this year for this to continue.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

I personally think it's stupid not to give him a chance, but we all know Neuvirth will get injured at various points this season, so I expect to see Stolarz (or Lyon) at some point

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He has done pretty good in the AHL. Would have had better numbers had he not been called up

What are you basing that on?  He had a GAA just short of 3.00.   33rd in the league.  All of them are playing behind minor league players, developing players, etc.    2.92 GAA

.911 save percentage isn't ugly.  But it's still 20th among eligible goalies.

He is not an NHL goalie.  There is nothing -- and I mean nothing -- to warrant a full-time promotion to the NHL.  Of either goalie, it's Lyon who may get a chance if he continues to improve.   I'm not a fan of Ellliot--at all--but I just as soon that than, again, going into a season relying on Stolarz and Neuvy.  

I'm willing to bet that the same assessment has been made by the Flyers' front office.   "Give a guy a chance."  You have to earn the chance.   Hextall has made every skater earn it or stay down.  Why not the goalie?  He hasn't earned the chance.  They're still keeping him around to see if he "gets it" at the AHL level.  And he was further along in terms of time which is why he got the call-up last year rather than Lyon.  But that egg timer is running out of sand.  By New Year, if they need a call-up, it will be Lyon.

Neil Little, part deux.

BTW, I agree about Scott Gordon.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

If it's before Christmas, expect Stolarz. 

If it's after, expect Lyon.  Provided something negative doesn't happen in LV.

@OccamsRazor

I see no problem with Stolarz earning it if the opportunity should arise. I hope he does...however, 

I think it is a fool's errand to go into the season with only a brittle but talented veteran and a young guy with middling AHL numbers, who didn't get lit up in his 7 call ups as his resume in goal.

Archived