Brian Elliott Signs with the Flyers

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/ron-hextall-says-flyers-needed-change-in-goal-20170702.html

Hextall got his guy.

Definitely seems as though Hextall has moved on to phase two of whatever his plan is. 

My big takeaway from that article is Hextall likes Elliot's compete level, work ethic, and attitude.

Those are areas where Steve Mason wasn't always the be strongest. Their numbers are a wash...

Other than Elliot's implosion in last year's playoffs I don't see his signing as a downgrade. 

Mason wouldn't nave liked having so many young guys ruining his night by being stupid and not playing hard in front of him this season.

More addition by subtraction.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Hextall got his guy.

I agree. Mason just bugged me i must admit...i can't put my finger on just exactly what it was. But a change needed to be made.

Here is hoping it was the right move!! :cheers:

Greetings:

Here is Bob Ford's take from today's Inquirer. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/philadephia-flyers-goalie-brian-elliott-michal-neuvirth-ron-hextall-steve-mason-20170703.html

Ellvirth is not the final word.  Hopefully this franchise builds its own number one in the next two to three years when the time is right. I wish Mase well in Winnipeg. And we hope Ellvirth is at least competent.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/philadephia-flyers-goalie-brian-elliott-michal-neuvirth-ron-hextall-steve-mason-20170703.html

Ellvirth is not the final word.  Hopefully this franchise builds its own number one in the next two to three years when the time is right. I wish Mase well in Winnipeg. And we hope Ellvirth is at least competent.  

LOL  It took me entirely too long to realize who/what Ellvirth is!   Nice!

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

My other comment--which I wanted to keep separate from the above--is that Bob Ford drives me nuts.  

You know how sometimes they paint big white dots in the middle of the driving lane and there are signs saying "keep two dots between you and the next car?"   I swear, Bob Ford could never possibly see down the road far enough to even see the second dot.  As myopic a dimwit as you'll find.

Goaltending will be ok. Doesn't matter much. It's a throw away season to look at the defense. Will be watching the kids, not the scoreboard. Can't imagine making the playoffs.

3 hours ago, otto12 said:

Goaltending will be ok. Doesn't matter much. It's a throw away season to look at the defense. Will be watching the kids, not the scoreboard. Can't imagine making the playoffs.

Yeah.

Expectations are so low that if Elliott plays really well, steals some games, helps the Flyers win, it will be a bonus.

The real fun begins in 2-3 years when Sandstrom/Hart take the reigns behind a young dynamic D-corps that has a few years of experience.

25 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Expectations are so low that if Elliott plays really well, steals some games, helps the Flyers win, it will be a bonus.

Bingo. Keep expectations low.

There are some questions throughout the lineup.

Come January of 2018 will have a better idea of where they are headed.

Till then it is purely guessing some luck in the health department can go a long way.

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Till then it is purely guessing some luck in the health department can go a long way.

Yeah, that plus Cooter could learn to skate and shoot and pot 60!

I don't know that the Flyers make the playoffs, but i think they're right there again and may actually either be closer than they were last year or actually sneak in.

If they sneak in, gotta hope for Washington, right?

40 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, that plus Cooter could learn to skate and shoot and pot 60!

Now you're pushing it................not going to happen till he is traded!!

On 7/3/2017 at 10:00 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I agree. Mason just bugged me i must admit...i can't put my finger on just exactly what it was. But a change needed to be made.

He played goalie for the Flyers.

We'll all be annoyed at Elliot by December.

:hocky:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

He played goalie for the Flyers.

We'll all be annoyed at Elliot by December.

Hmmm.   You spelled November with a D.   Very creative.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, radoran said:

I'm guessing that the "reason" isn't that the team couldn't score more than two goals in a game against Ottawa in back to back seasons?

Dude self destructed before that too. 

But as I've always said (since then) cechmanek was a major reason they couldn't score. 

Its similar to why why they couldn't score this past year too.  You need to be able to start moving players before you possess the puck in order to outlet efficiently. 

If if you need literally all of your guys inside their own blue line because your defense can't co troll the puck (whether it's because the goalie can't control the shots and rebounds or because your D has too many guys who are straight up weak on their positioning)  you're going to be slow on transition and limited to low quality perimeter shooting.

sound familiar?

they generated more attempts and more goals with Boucher and Esche in net.  

Roman = better at stopping pucks 

Boucher and Esche = better at playing goalie. 

Is it any any wonder that Esche took essentially the same team to the ECF's? And Boucher netminded his way to the ECF's twice while Roman got stuck in the fist and second rounds? 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Hmmm.   You spelled November with a D.   Very creative.

Its Philly.  Steve Mason is third on the team's all time wins list and he did that in 4 injury beset seasons in which he was half of a tandem half that time. 

Goalies dont work out here and we complain about them instantly. 

Elliot is here to keep the team from complete meltdown for two years while Hart and Sandstrom grow. 

They werent affording better options and the better options all got longer deals and cost a boatload more to boot. 

Elliot's fine. If you're mad he's not Lundqvist, you're not paying attention.  That kind of goalie was impossible but might just be in the pipeline. 

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah.

The real fun begins in 2-3 years when Sandstrom/Hart take the reigns behind a young dynamic D-corps that has a few years of experience.

To me he's better than Neuwirth. 

He's not bad.  

Instill like Nilsson, but he's had. Onexperi nice as a 1A really. 

Hart and Sandstrom are the lead.  Any assessment of the Elliot signing or the Mason releasing or the neuvirtth deal that doesn't discuss them  is just missing the point of all of it. 

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Hart and Sandstrom are the lead.  Any assessment of the Elliot signing or the Mason releasing or the neuvirtth deal that doesn't discuss them  is just missing the point of all of it. 

Yeah for sure. In fact, I think Hexy showing restraint in the (relatively lousy) UFA market is the real story for Flyers fans this summer.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Its Philly.  Steve Mason is third on the team's all time wins list and he did that in 4 injury beset seasons in which he was half of a tandem half that time. 

Goalies dont work out here and we complain about them instantly. 

Elliot is here to keep the team from complete meltdown for two years while Hart and Sandstrom grow. 

They werent affording better options and the better options all got longer deals and cost a boatload more to boot. 

Elliot's fine. If you're mad he's not Lundqvist, you're not paying attention.  That kind of goalie was impossible but might just be in the pipeline. 

So completely agree with ALL of that.

I'm okay with Elliott.   I think he's a liability in the playoffs, but it's a two year deal so if his ability in the playoffs actually become an issue I think we're already well ahead of the curve.   For the tandem, we're paying less than the previous tandem.  I'm good.  And it buys time for the kids to be ready to have a go (maybe sooner for someone when Neuvirth has his mandatory injury).   So, I think it's actually pretty good given the mix of circumstances.

That doesn't mean Philly fans won't be all over him by November if he has a stinker or two.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

who and who?

if the flyers are really *planning* to have their next starter come up from the prospect pool, they are well and truly screwed for a long time.  1 in 10 goalie prospects are even backup quality.  may as well put all of your mortgage money on "3" and spin the wheel.

again, prospects and the draft should be happy and unexpected additions to the roster, not cornerstones to your team's future construction.  strict draft-based rebuilds are eternal and quixotic, saved only by the very rare franchise pick.  crosby and kane level.  if the flyers have 3 "great" goaltender prospects, they'll burn 3 kids out and sign an FA in 5 years.

9 minutes ago, aziz said:

who and who?

if the flyers are really *planning* to have their next starter come up from the prospect pool, they are well and truly screwed for a long time.  1 in 10 goalie prospects are even backup quality.  may as well put all of your mortgage money on "3" and spin the wheel.

again, prospects and the draft should be happy and unexpected additions to the roster, not cornerstones to your team's future construction.  strict draft-based rebuilds are eternal and quixotic, saved only by the very rare franchise pick.  crosby and kane level.  if the flyers have 3 "great" goaltender prospects, they'll burn 3 kids out and sign an FA in 5 years.

Well you're Suzy Sunshine, aren't you?  Somewhere along the line, you and I switched roles. 

Cross the streams! 

@aziz has a point. If the Flyers were going to take a risk on Elliott, why not take a risk on a younger guy with potential upside? Everyone is looking for Hart or Sandstrom to come take over the reins in a few years, but the Flyers should proceed as if they won't. Trade for Pickard, for example. If he turns out to be a Talbot-like solid starter, you extend him for 3-4 years, goalie prospects be damned. Let them come up and take the job away from him, like Holtby did. The problem with a stopgap is that you need another stopgap in the likely event that the prospects fail, or take longer than you hope.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

@aziz has a point. If the Flyers were going to take a risk on Elliott, why not take a risk on a younger guy with potential upside? Everyone is looking for Hart or Sandstrom to come take over the reins in a few years, but the Flyers should proceed as if they won't. Trade for Pickard, for example. If he turns out to be a Talbot-like solid starter, you extend him for 3-4 years, goalie prospects be damned. Let them come up and take the job away from him, like Holtby did. The problem with a stopgap is that you need another stopgap in the likely event that the prospects fail, or take longer than you hope.

I think that they looked at the available options and basically decided on Elliott because the asset cost was nothing and he came on a cheap cap hit. They know what he brings, and honestly he's similar to Mason in terms of stats and streakiness. (cue groans).

One big difference is, I think Elliott lacks the bluntness that Mason displayed. I don't think the decision to allow Mason to walk was based on play, but personality. He wasn't afraid to be critical in public or private and how Hextall has conducted his business since taking over as GM, he likes that wall of silence.

I do think if they saw a guy who they felt was a step above Elliott that was available, they would have made a different move, but there wasn't really anyone that's a clear upgrade that came as cheaply. That's how I view their process. I would have loved going after a guy like Calvin Pickard or Peter Mrazek, but they obviously preferred the option that cost them less assets and gave them a low cap hit for 2 years.

3 hours ago, aziz said:

who and who?

I'm not sure why they can't sign an FA if none of the draft picks turn out. Isn't the idea that you *might* find a gem among those picks? Jonathan Quick, 2nd round pick, multiple Stanley Cup winner. Corey Crawford, 3rd round pick, multiple Stanley Cup winner. Etc

Would you not bother drafting goalies at all? 

3 hours ago, scoopyten said:

I think that they looked at the available options and basically decided on Elliott because the asset cost was nothing and he came on a cheap cap hit. They know what he brings, and honestly he's similar to Mason in terms of stats and streakiness. (cue groans).

One big difference is, I think Elliott lacks the bluntness that Mason displayed. I don't think the decision to allow Mason to walk was based on play, but personality. He wasn't afraid to be critical in public or private and how Hextall has conducted his business since taking over as GM, he likes that wall of silence.

I do think if they saw a guy who they felt was a step above Elliott that was available, they would have made a different move, but there wasn't really anyone that's a clear upgrade that came as cheaply. That's how I view their process. I would have loved going after a guy like Calvin Pickard or Peter Mrazek, but they obviously preferred the option that cost them less assets and gave them a low cap hit for 2 years.

Welcome, great to have you!   Nice post also. You don't post like a rookie, so I'm assuming you came from another site?

I was advocating for Anders Nilsson, the former Sabre turned Canuck. He has never played more than 35 games, so some risk there, but he's big 6'6 and 220 AND is quite athletic for his size. He's 27 and spent a few years in the KHL before coming to North America. I just think there is untapped potential there, we have probably not seen the best Nilsson yet, despite his being in the late 20's. 

The market at least thinks Elliott and Nilsson are close in value. Cap hits of 2.75 for Elliott (at 2 yrs) and 2.5 mill for 2 yrs for Nillson....but he's 5 years younger. We might not ever find out if Anders is legit....the Canucks....where fantasy goalie go to die!!

Hey, let's make the best of the Elliott situation....a VERY positive stat I just found!!!

Best Save Percentage since start of 2011-12 season

1. Cory Schneider .926
2. #Flames Brian Elliott .925

Archived