Brian Elliott Signs with the Flyers

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I see no problem with Stolarz earning it if the opportunity should arise

Agreed.  And in the unlikely event he does that going forward, terrific.  He simply hasn't earned a thing to date.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ruxpin said:

What are you basing that on?

Yeah he had a save percentage of 911% which was good for 20th in the AHL....plus he had several vets like Grosenick (28)

Stalock (29) Halak (32) Pasquale (28) to name a few who are older in front of him (he is only 23) who are more seasoned.

So not that bad i say. And at close to the same age Rinne had a 908% his last year of the AHL too so keep it all in perspective.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I see no problem with Stolarz earning it if the opportunity should arise. I hope he does...however, 

I think it is a fool's errand to go into the season with only a brittle but talented veteran and a young guy with middling AHL numbers, who didn't get lit up in his 7 call ups as his resume in goal.

Yeah well look around the league many teams are thin at goalie...it is the salary cap era and many can't afford to lose a starter.

Good help is on the way but it will take time. Besides if need be Stolie and Lyon i think can hold the fort for awhile if need be.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah he had a save percentage of 911% which was good for 20th in the AHL....plus he had several vets like Grosenick (28)

Stalock (29) Halak (32) Pasquale (28) to name a few who are older in front of him (he is only 23) who are more seasoned.

So not that bad i say. And at close to the same age Rinne had a 908% his last year of the AHL too so keep it all in perspective.

Keeping it in perspective:  He has done squat to show he belongs in or has earned a spot in the NHL.  This isn't AYSO.  Not everyone gets the trophy just for showing up.

Especially when you have an entire stable of goalie prospects coming along, including one on the AHL team that is arguably better.

If he earns it, fine.  Until then, he can bag groceries.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

He does done squat to show he belongs in or has earned a spot in the NHL.

Well he finished with a better save percentage than Mason (908%) or Neuvy (891%).

Stolie 928%!!!

And don't had me this crap about games played  i can't only go by what he has played. Not my fault he didn't get a shot.

Bottom line with the same team he put up better numbers....

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he finished with a better save percentage than Mason (908%) or Neuvy (891%).

Stolie 928%!!!

And don't had me this crap about games played  i can't only go by what he has played. Not my fault he didn't get a shot.

Bottom line with the same team he put up better numbers....

LOL!!!

Okay.

21 hours ago, murraycraven said:

That first is top ten protected by the Blues.   If the Blues get a top 10 pick we get their draft pick the flowing year.

Not saying it wont happen but it looks like, that if we pick, we are getting a pick outside the top ten.  If G has another bad year I really don't think there are going to be many suitors for him come the next draft.   

Elliot is what he is... a goalie that can go on a streak, like Mason, but is otherwise not all that good.   The guy was an absolute disaster in the Flames series and he lets in more soft goals than Mason.   It is a bridge deal but they better hope one of the kids turn out to be a good NHL goalie or this revolving door is going to keep going on for the foreseeable future.  Stolarz, in my opinion, is not one of the "kids" I am referring to either.

Hopefully, the tandem can get the job done.   But, I am not confident as it stands right now.  Neuvy and Elliot in back of possibly 2 rookies and McDud is a bit frightening.   

How about a possible trade with Vegas? To get your biggest fan in Marc Andre Fleury!  You could possibly shut out the Pens in the whole season series!

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

How about a possible trade with Vegas? To get your biggest fan in Marc Andre Fleury!  You could possibly shut out the Pens in the whole season series!

Uh no.....as questionable as they are the Flyers are getting two goalies for what it would cost the Flyers for MAF whom is questionable himself at times...this is still a transition year for the Flyers expected (by me) to be a playoff bubble team no matter who is in net....

3 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Only to choke to death in the playoffs (whenever we eventually actually make them)

38 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

He has won 3 Stanley Cup!  (Not sure how!)

Okay, but he was along for the ride for 2.

Honestly, they don't get to round 3 without Fleury this year so I'm not being entirely fair. But fair doesn't help the joke.

45 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

He has won 3 Stanley Cup!  (Not sure how!)

Nevermind my last post. I confused what you said with something else. Fleury is just a good team guy, who is always prepared to play, and kept himself in decent shape to take the reins and help steal that Caps series. I guess he doesn't care if he wins another Cup for now in Vegas.

I'm perfectly content with Elliott holding down the fort. Fact is, he's a good team guy that isn't going to throw young guys under the bus if they miss an assignment or give up a bad play. It's going to happen. As well, as others have mentioned, he's streaky, but if you look over his career, the body of work is fairly solid with regards to GAA and Save Percentage. It would be nice if the kids were ready, but they aren't and as much as most people wanted Mason to re-sign, there was obviously something else behind the scenes that went on that basically ended his relationship in Philadelphia. And I know it's easy to point fingers at Hextall ending the relationship, but Hextall wouldn't do anything to damage the organization. That's simply not his M.O. If he felt that not signing Mason was the right thing, then there's a reason behind it. 

I'm actually really looking forward to when training camp gets around. I think Elliott is going to be a good guy in the organization and I really think you're going to see him help out guys like Stolarz, Lyon, Sandstrom and Hart. He's not going to get his nose bent out of shape over a little competition and he's not going to lose his composure. We all saw that in Calgary this past season when it didn't start well for him and Johnson was the guy. However, by mid season, Elliott got his bearings back and went on a run. I know he stank it up in the playoffs, but I'm also thinking he played A LOT of hockey down the stretch that maybe Johnson should have received a few more games. The days of 65 - 70 game starters has pretty much come to an end. If the Flyers get 50 to 55 starts out of Elliott, that's a good thing. 

The last thing is that it's only a two year deal. By then, Sandstrom should be ready. He's already playing pro hockey in Sweden, so it shouldn't be that much of a transition from the SEL to the NHL. Two years should be more than enough time for him to be ready. As for Stolarz, I'm still holding out hope for him. There's too much physical talent there and work ethic for it not to work out for him in some capacity. He's one of the hardest working players in the game and he's a coach's dream to work with. I still think he manages to carve something out for himself.

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I still think he manages to carve something out for himself.

I hope so.

maybe eventually a solid backup.  I don't think it will be in Philly given the other kids coming right behind him and the situation clogged in the immediate future.

He could be used in a package for something, which is also okay.

35 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

as much as most people wanted Mason to re-sign, there was obviously something else behind the scenes that went on that basically ended his relationship in Philadelphia

Well he sealed his fate when he came out and said he didn't want to be part of a tandem...he basically wanted to be given the net regardless of his play....which i can't agree too.

I guess i could see living through those growing pains with a kid like Hart or Sandstrom but even then sometimes you have to save them from themselves.

But Mason is a season vet and is expected to play like such....which he did but his weak mental state along with his inconsistent play has put him out the door....so now they gamble with a new guy...i'm ok with it...i had seen enough of Mason in the Cap playoff loss to the Caps to know he isn't the one...so onto Elliot i guess...

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he sealed his fate when he came out and said he didn't want to be part of a tandem...he basically wanted to be given the net regardless of his play....which i can't agree too.

I sometimes wonder if Mason did that intentionally. I mean, he could have taken the high road during the press conference at the end of the year, but to me, it seemed like he wanted out and he did so in a manner that would point fingers at Flyers. I mean, under Mason's time here, there were some instances of mishandling under Berube and Hakstol certainly did him no favours when he started Mason all those games in a row once Neuvirth went down, but seriously, it seems like everyone around Mason was always at fault for something. Guys aren't playing hard enough, defense isn't getting the puck out of the zone enough, players aren't generating enough offense, yet when the guy couldn't stop a beach ball when his life depended on it, he was quiet. If he would have thrown himself under the bus a few occasions, I'd have no problems with re-signing the guy. But he never did. It was always somebody else's fault but his. I'll say this about Mason and then I'm officially done because he's no longer on the roster. Great goalie. No doubt in my mind. But attitude and mental strength were incredibly weak. Let him be Paul Maurice's project now (and just watch how well that will go).

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I sometimes wonder if Mason did that intentionally. I mean, he could have taken the high road during the press conference at the end of the year, but to me, it seemed like he wanted out and he did so in a manner that would point fingers at Flyers.

Good point he could have been still pissed from his boy resigning and going to Dallas.

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Let him be Paul Maurice's project now (and just watch how well that will go)

Yes. He can go throw someone else under the bus. It could very well be that Elliot is just a cheaper version  of Steve. We'll see.

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Great goalie. No doubt in my mind. But attitude and mental strength were incredibly weak

This sums up Mason beautifully.  Really nothing more to say.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm perfectly content with Elliott holding down the fort. Fact is, he's a good team guy that isn't going to throw young guys under the bus if they miss an assignment or give up a bad play. It's going to happen. As well, as others have mentioned, he's streaky, but if you look over his career, the body of work is fairly solid with regards to GAA and Save Percentage. It would be nice if the kids were ready, but they aren't and as much as most people wanted Mason to re-sign, there was obviously something else behind the scenes that went on that basically ended his relationship in Philadelphia. And I know it's easy to point fingers at Hextall ending the relationship, but Hextall wouldn't do anything to damage the organization. That's simply not his M.O. If he felt that not signing Mason was the right thing, then there's a reason behind it. 

I'm actually really looking forward to when training camp gets around. I think Elliott is going to be a good guy in the organization and I really think you're going to see him help out guys like Stolarz, Lyon, Sandstrom and Hart. He's not going to get his nose bent out of shape over a little competition and he's not going to lose his composure. We all saw that in Calgary this past season when it didn't start well for him and Johnson was the guy. However, by mid season, Elliott got his bearings back and went on a run. I know he stank it up in the playoffs, but I'm also thinking he played A LOT of hockey down the stretch that maybe Johnson should have received a few more games. The days of 65 - 70 game starters has pretty much come to an end. If the Flyers get 50 to 55 starts out of Elliott, that's a good thing. 

The last thing is that it's only a two year deal. By then, Sandstrom should be ready. He's already playing pro hockey in Sweden, so it shouldn't be that much of a transition from the SEL to the NHL. Two years should be more than enough time for him to be ready. As for Stolarz, I'm still holding out hope for him. There's too much physical talent there and work ethic for it not to work out for him in some capacity. He's one of the hardest working players in the game and he's a coach's dream to work with. I still think he manages to carve something out for himself.

I am not a fan of Elliot but it is a decent deal so I want him to succeed.   However, Sandstrom I believe is at a minimum 4 years away.    I can't see him coming to the AHL from Europe and making the jump to the NHL in one year of North American hockey.

• hf101 changed the title to Brian Elliott Signs with the Flyers

Archived