Free Agent Signings - Updated!

On 7/1/2017 at 3:38 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

I just realized, San jose still has like 18 million in cap space.

Hell, ill take Markov on a 2 year deal. Ill also take pretty much any additional winger depth we can, assuming Marleau is gone

Is that counting the Jumbo Joe hit?  Either way, they are in a real nice spot to upgrade through trades now. That is a nice little chunk of change the Sharks have left over!  Their cap dude must be a whizz!!   Also, REAL smart move to let Marleau walk, when you are on the top line and top pp and still don't crack 50 pts, it's time to move on. Must have been hard still, cause Marleau played great for this franchise for many, many years. A respectable leader also. 

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Is that counting the Jumbo Joe hit?  Either way, they are in a real nice spot to upgrade through trades now. That is a nice little chunk of change the Sharks have left over!  Their cap dude must be a whizz!!   Also, REAL smart move to let Marleau walk, when you are on the top line and top pp and still don't crack 50 pts, it's time to move on. Must have been hard still, cause Marleau played great for this franchise for many, many years. A respectable leader also. 

I was absolutely indifferent to Marleau leaving. He has been riding jumbo's coattails a long time now.

Basically before singing Joe we had 18 million. Joe offered to take 6 million instead of 8 for 1 year if Wilson would augment Marleau's deal. That's why we were waiting on terms for Joe's deal so long after he reportedly signed. Marleau chose the extra year with the leafs.

Thornton really has been the ultimate team player all these years. There was a time when guys like Drury and Gomez were given 6.5 million to 7 million on the open market. Thornton had just won a Hart and outscored his teammates 96 to 55(Next closest scorer). Shark fans were dreading how large or how long  his contract would be. Keep in mind the cap was around 50 million and Crosby was getting 8.7, Ovechkin 9.5, Malkin 8.7. Thornton asking for 8-10 years at 8 million would not have been out of the question.

What did he sign for? 3 years at 7.2 million. We were in awe. No tremendous long term to lower the AAV, no tremendous huge AAV. Then we wondered what sort of discount Patty would give the sharks. After all, Jumbo routinely outscored him and inflated his numbers. But Patty signed for 6.3 million for 2 years then asked for a raise of 4 years at 6.9 million. By today's numbers, that looks decent, but back then it was the equivalent of 8 million a year today.

Patty was not a guy taking less to help the team out and he was not worth that much money.

I suspect what Joe tried to do this year(take less money to augment Patty's deal) has been happening a long time.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I was absolutely indifferent to Marleau leaving. He has been riding jumbo's coattails a long time now.

Basically before singing Joe we had 18 million. Joe offered to take 6 million instead of 8 for 1 year if Wilson would augment Marleau's deal. That's why we were waiting on terms for Joe's deal so long after he reportedly signed. Marleau chose the extra year with the leafs.

Thornton really has been the ultimate team player all these years. There was a time when guys like Drury and Gomez were given 6.5 million to 7 million on the open market. Thornton had just won a Hart and outscored his teammates 96 to 55(Next closest scorer). Shark fans were dreading how large or how long  his contract would be. Keep in mind the cap was around 50 million and Crosby was getting 8.7, Ovechkin 9.5, Malkin 8.7. Thornton asking for 8-10 years at 8 million would not have been out of the question.

What did he sign for? 3 years at 7.2 million. We were in awe. No tremendous long term to lower the AAV, no tremendous huge AAV. Then we wondered what sort of discount Patty would give the sharks. After all, Jumbo routinely outscored him and inflated his numbers. But Patty signed for 6.3 million for 2 years then asked for a raise of 4 years at 6.9 million. By today's numbers, that looks decent, but back then it was the equivalent of 8 million a year today.

Patty was not a guy taking less to help the team out and he was not worth that much money.

I suspect what Joe tried to do this year(take less money to augment Patty's deal) has been happening a long time.

A tad off topic (but HEY, it *IS* July).....which rookies do you think make an impact on San Jose next year. Despite having all this cap space, I figure they have quite a few kids real close to cracking the Sharks fall roster. 

I'm thinking, Timo Meier is a lock, Danny Reagan and Kevin Leblanc should be real cose, nice camps would put them both on the final roster according to my calculations, do you agree? 

Don't know if you have seen it, but a nice run down on the Sharks top 6 prospects...

https://www.fearthefin.com/2017/3/22/14938248/sharks-top-20-prospects-6-1

Just now, jammer2 said:

A tad off topic (but HEY, it *IS* July).....which rookies do you think make an impact on San Jose next year. Despite having all this cap space, I figure they have quite a few kids real close to cracking the Sharks fall roster. 

I'm thinking, Timo Meier is a lock, Danny Reagan and Kevin Leblanc should be real cose, nice camps would put them both on the final roster according to my calculations, do you agree? 

Rookies or kids?

Meier and Labanc will get long looks and chances. I am looking forward to seeing Meier get a shot on that top PP. Its been Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture/ Burns or Boyle for like a DECADE. I am not kidding. A DECADE. Mind you our PP has usually been good, but i want to see someone else.

O'Regan I definitely see getting a long look. AHL player of the year in his first year is a tremendous achievement.

Replacing Schlemko on that bottom pair I am hoping to see Heed get a real chance. Demelo has had many chances and is a decent bottom guy, but......

Jeremy Roy, get your **** together! i wanted you to be Ray Bourque light and you keep getting injured! We are short on Right handed D.

I want to see CARPENTER given bottom line duties. The guy is good. Real good. But he continually got bumped for hacks like Haley. Carpenter looked good in that bottom line role and we kept asking WHY do they keep sending him back to the A? I will chew nails if Deboer plays Bollig.

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

Rookies or kids?

Meier and Labanc will get long looks and chances. I am looking forward to seeing Meier get a shot on that top PP. Its been Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture/ Burns or Boyle for like a DECADE. I am not kidding. A DECADE. Mind you our PP has usually been good, but i want to see someone else.

O'Regan I definitely see getting a long look. AHL player of the year in his first year is a tremendous achievement.

Replacing Schlemko on that bottom pair I am hoping to see Heed get a real chance. Demelo has had many chances and is a decent bottom guy, but......

Jeremy Roy, get your **** together! i wanted you to be Ray Bourque light and you keep getting injured! We are short on Right handed D.

I want to see CARPENTER given bottom line duties. The guy is good. Real good. But he continually got bumped for hacks like Haley. Carpenter looked good in that bottom line role and we kept asking WHY do they keep sending him back to the A? I will chew nails if Deboer plays Bollig.

I was thinking along the same lines for some of the kids you mentioned. O'Reagan was a stud in the AHL, rare for a first year player, who is getting adjusted to the pro game to be dominant in the A. It certainly puts him in the final roster running. 

Yes, seeing Timo unload that rocket of a HEAVY shot would inject some life into the Sharks top pp. As you mentioned, an entire decade with the same top pp just leaves you wanting a fresh face, anywhere. 

Roy is a wildcard because of the injuries, but just based on skill alone, he should make the team, HUGE training camp for him coming up. Heed can really help himself out also. Carpenter is a legit sleeper, they need to make a call on this kid and end the yo-yo effect. 

There is a real chance that as many as 5 kids could force their way on the team, which might make some veterans avaiable for draft picks, which we all know Wilson can turn into gold pretty quick. A lot of these kids were late picks, very shrewd picks by Mr.Wilson. 

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I am hoping to see Heed get a real chance.

Tell me a bit about Tim Heed? You obviously like what you see, have you seen him play at all?

59 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Tell me a bit about Tim Heed? You obviously like what you see, have you seen him play at all?

I'm interested in Heed also, have heard a bit, but need a clearer picture of what he brings moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

AT NHL level? No. he did not get much of a chance. I did catch some highlights of Barracuda games.

Small like Dan Boyle and shifty on his skates like Boyle. Offense first guy. Right handed.

Impossible to say how he turns out in NA. But I know what Demelo brings to the table already and I would rather give Heed a shot

• hf101 unpinned this topic

Archived