Goalie Prospects

Sandstrom should be two years. Go back over to the SEL and play out this year and then next year, go to the AHL and play. As for Hart, I expect he's on a three trajectory. He'll probably play one more year in junior and then he goes to the AHL for two years. I think Stolarz will knock of Neuvirth for the back up to Elliott this year and Lyon will play one more year in the AHL and then be traded away to make room for Sandstrom.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Sandstrom should be two years. Go back over to the SEL and play out this year and then next year, go to the AHL and play. As for Hart, I expect he's on a three trajectory. He'll probably play one more year in junior and then he goes to the AHL for two years. I think Stolarz will knock of Neuvirth for the back up to Elliott this year and Lyon will play one more year in the AHL and then be traded away to make room for Sandstrom.

Do you put Stolarz ahead of Lyons or is this a for instance?  By that I mean who do you think has more of a future?  Of the three, I'd say Sandstrom but not as sure about Lyons versus Stolarz.

10 minutes ago, terp said:

Do you put Stolarz ahead of Lyons or is this a for instance?  By that I mean who do you think has more of a future?  Of the three, I'd say Sandstrom but not as sure about Lyons versus Stolarz.

I have no proof but i'm afraid Lyon has past Stolie in the front office's eyes.

He is also the more accomplished goalie...but they will battle it out in the AHL this upcoming season and i'm afraid the loser will have to move on and he winner of the battle may backup in the NHL the following year.

Mu guess anyways.

On 7/1/2017 at 1:40 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Eye opening.....

My sense is Stolarz and possibly Lyon may not become legit NHL starters.  Stolarz should be close, but Hextall's comments and the signing of Elliot pretty much seal Stolarz's fate at least for this year.  No idea on Lyon, but my sense is he hasn't exactly wowed anyone with his AHL play.  Didn't realize he's already 24 years old.

So, you're left with Hart and Sandstrom.  I think both are at least three years away.  In looking at Sandstrom's stats, he's never played more than 40 games in season.  He's got a long way to go before he's ready to handle an NHL workload.   Hart is actually young for his draft year.  I could see him spending at least two years in the AHL after his junior eligibility runs out.

In short, Flyers will be looking for stopgaps two years from now - if not sooner.

@vis

I'll buy you a beer if Stolarz becomes a regular NHL starter.  I think Lyon is better, but he may not be either, as you say.  I think he's more likely than Stolarz, though.

It may be Lyon that they're hoping is the stopgap until the others once Elliott or Neuvy is done.   

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll buy you a beer if Stolarz becomes a regular NHL starter.

Deal, even though we actually share the same view of Stolarz...

Greetings:

I think this thread's content will take on new meaning when, not if, Neuvy goes down.  If Stolarz is playing well, he is the obvious choice for backup. If Lyon is better, we have a new heir apparent.  Regardless, I don't see "Ellvirth" lasting the season. Of course, the other possibility is Elliott going down (or grossly underperforming), and the same holds.  But...the notion of a Neuvy/Youngin duo is a tad scary, which is why Elliott is here in the first place.  Yes--we hope the current arrangement is two year and someone emerges.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the goalie picture is a little clearer by the time they have this next expansion draft...

...Flyers will have to decide maybe between Hart or Sandstrom....and they will have some hard decisions to make on who to protect and expose next time around....i hope Ron has gained some valuable experience he will have to do some wheeling and deal next time to keep the guys he wants.

Has anyone seen either Lyon or Stolarz play a number of games for the Phantoms? I want a scouting report type assessment. Overall mechanics and style ,strengths,weakness, agility, glove  mental toughness, etc. How do they compare to each other. As far as all our goalies prospects go, we cannot afford to make another mistake and trade the wrong guy like we did in trading Bob.

For example ,when I watched Bobrovsky early on  you could see he had sound mechanics, cat like lateral movement and fantastic reflexes , he was very acrobatic.  I had never seen Bryzgalov at all, so when we traded for him I assumed we did our homework and scouted him properly. I thought  to myself, he must be some kinda goalie to give up Bob in order to get him.Then I watched in horror as Bryz was  just a complete piece of crap who looked like a turtle in the net.  Everything about his game was mediocre. poor angle play, slow reflexes, no anticipation, mental lapses. I couldn't believe we traded for this bum, I still wonder to this day what scout recommended that we trade for this loser? 

My viewing of Stolarz came from when I lived in London and he was the starting goaltender here. In terms of strengths, his lateral movement is top notch. His speed from side to side is something else to witness. His athleticism is also off the charts in that he can bend and move in such directions that it often leaves people scratching their heads. He's also very good at squaring himself to the shooter, making the routine save, uses his blocker well and has a fantastic glove hand. He's got an incredible work ethic and Bill Dark, one of the best goaltending coaches in Canada, said that Stolarz was his most talented and hardest working goaltender he's ever worked with. His biggest weakness was his penchant for big rebounds and his puck handling, although his puck handling got significantly better in a little over a year. One of the things that people need to realize with Stolarz is that before he got to London, he never had the opportunity to work with a legitimate goaltending coach. I still think there's incredible upside with Stolarz and that we're barely scratching the surface with him. People need to be patient because he's got a bit of Dominik Hasek in his skill set in that he's unorthodox. I think that's the thing that throws the Flyers off - how do you coach someone with an unorthodox style.

As for Lyon, I watched Phantoms games this year with him and he's very much your classic stand up goaltender that can drop into the butterfly if need be. His technical skills and ability are top notch. He's easier to coach in that his skill is very much a match for what the Flyers are looking for in a goaltender - stand up, stop the puck, don't give up big rebounds and turn the puck away from the opposition. The fbiggest flaw I saw with Lyon is that he can play a little too deep in his net and sometimes he seems smaller than what he really is. He's also a good sized goaltender. 

I think both Stolarz and Lyon could be capable NHL goaltenders. I just don't know if Philadelphia is the place for them. 

Archived