Welcome Ryan Miller

Samifan

Hearing Miller really really wanted to finish his career back in Buffalo and was ready to sign. The Sabres were offering a 3year $6.5 million per year deal but Eichel told management absolutely not. Eichel then told Pegula to go get Chad Johnson :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

5 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Hearing Miller really really wanted to finish his career back in Buffalo and was ready to sign. The Sabres were offering a 3year $6.5 million per year deal but Eichel told management absolutely not. Eichel then told Pegula to go get Chad Johnson :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

You, sir, are incorrigible.

Funny as hell, but incorrigible...hehe....

All joking aside, I think Ryan Miller may have FINALLY found a place where he actually fits well!

After Buffalo, he went to St. Louis, then the Canucks...neither of which I felt were particularly good fits.

Now, in Anaheim, playing behind a contender, in the state of Cali where he seems to want to be, on a good scoring team with Cup aspirations, Miller may find himself revived a bit and feel about 5 to 10 years younger with the knowledge he doesn't have to carry a team trying to find itself.

Anaheim knows what they want, have the players to do it and all they need is for a guy like Miller to stop pucks.

Only thing Miller has to worry about is competition from John Gibson...but hey, goalie competition is always a good thing, IMO.

Keeps guys from getting complacent.

Nice job, Anaheim.

Now, Miller, YOUR turn to help get things done!

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You, sir, are incorrigible.

Funny as hell, but incorrigible...hehe....

All joking aside, I think Ryan Miller may have FINALLY found a place where he actually fits well!

After Buffalo, he went to St. Louis, then the Canucks...neither of which I felt were particularly good fits.

Now, in Anaheim, playing behind a contender, in the state of Cali where he seems to want to be, on a good scoring team with Cup aspirations, Miller may find himself revived a bit and feel about 5 to 10 years younger with the knowledge he doesn't have to carry a team trying to find itself.

Anaheim knows what they want, have the players to do it and all they need is for a guy like Miller to stop pucks.

Only thing Miller has to worry about is competition from John Gibson...but hey, goalie competition is always a good thing, IMO.

Keeps guys from getting complacent.

Nice job, Anaheim.

Now, Miller, YOUR turn to help get things done!

Let's face it...Miller signed where his wife told him to.

45 minutes ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

I am not sure why the Ducks went ahead and got Ryan Miller when they have John Gibson who is definitely NHL ready. It would have been better for them to get a back up goalie behind Gibson.

Miller will effectively be the backup for Gibson. Ryan will be 37 and 38 years old on this deal. His role will be something like 30 games for the season with an upside that would allow him to take over if Gibson continues to be as injury prone as he has been.

Everybody gets what they want in this deal. Miller is in the LA area and Anaheim has a terrific fit as a backup goalie. For $2M for two years, that's even better for Anaheim.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Miller will effectively be the backup for Gibson. Ryan will be 37 and 38 years old on this deal. His role will be something like 30 games for the season with an upside that would allow him to take over if Gibson continues to be as injury prone as he has been.

Everybody gets what they want in this deal. Miller is in the LA area and Anaheim has a terrific fit as a backup goalie. For $2M for two years, that's even better for Anaheim.

If Miller is just the back up for the most part then the deal makes sense and like you said a good fit.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:00 PM, flyercanuck said:

Let's face it...Miller signed where his wife told him to.

For once I agree with you.  I agree with TFG's take as I usually do.  Not always.  As for the backup I agree that he certainly does not want to play 60 games at this stage of his career but come playoff time, they may make him the guy.  He is battle tested, has been there several times.  Brings more to the table than Gibson.   I will admit I am disappointed to say the least that he will never return to Buffalo.  Many great memories but the one that always will haunt me is going to the third period in Carolina with a 3-2 lead and the Stanley Cup in our back pockets if we can win one period.  But I knew without the 4 starting defenseman, it was going to be tough.  We needed to beat Ward and attack more.  I bet Ruff wish's he could have that period back and play it differently.  But Cam Ward is tough to beat. Miller had no D in front of him but several up from Rochester. We were the best team absolutely and we did not win.  Miller is going to finish his career perhaps in Anaheim?  I guess It will depend on how thing go.  Yes they are a certain Cup contender.  I still believe St Louis is the best team the West has to offer.  We shall see

PS  What are you going to do when she dumps you like yesterday's trash Ryan and then takes half of your money?  That is what they do.  

Gibson already has a better career playoff win % and save % than Miller. Miller posted an 0.897 behind Hitch's defense in St. Louis. No way the Ducks just decide to ride Miller in the playoffs. He's only going in if Gibson falters, which is unlikely, or gets injured.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Gibson already has a better career playoff win % and save % than Miller. Miller posted an 0.897 behind Hitch's defense in St. Louis. No way the Ducks just decide to ride Miller in the playoffs. He's only going in if Gibson falters, which is unlikely, or gets injured.

Put away the crack pipe AJ.  Coachie knows what he has.  He is going to ride this horse as far as he will take him. 

• 2 months later...

Looking at how this Anaheim roster is shaping up, I think if the Ducks can stay injury free (looking at you Kesler, Vatanen, and Getzlaf), and guys stay as productive as they had been the last couple seasons, I think Miller has a real shot at a deep championship type run....something he really hadn't seen since his days with the good Buffalo Sabres teams.

Whether his role is back up or not, he will of course, need to hold up his end, but looking over at his numbers with Vancouver the last two seasons, they weren't terrible....especially given what he had iced in front of him.

Ideally, the Ducks would like to have John Gibson leading the way in goal, but I think Ryan Miller can and will be playing a big part in the success of the Ducks this season.

A solid defensive core in front of the goalies should help matters.

Bringing back an aging, yet always reliable Francois Beauchemin was a good move for this team as well.

I like Ryan Miller jokes as much as the next peanut gallery denizen, but really, Miller has a chance, along with the entire Ducks team, to silence critics.

Anaheim's window for winning it all is closing slowly so the next two seasons with Miller on board are as good a time as any for these guys to win.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Looks like Kesler is out for a while - Christmas if not longer.

I see them giving Gibson every chance to be "the guy" but I don't think they have a problem with Miller.  Maybe something like Gibson 55/Miller 27?

I think not having Kesler is going to impact the Ducks in a big way.

They have enough to be a playoff team still, and the top line of Getzlaf, Perry, and whomever is the wing of the week can possibly make up for it, but make no mistake.... Ryan Kesler is a huge void the Ducks will have to find some way to fill.

Even if Kesler didn't have the same monster year he did last year (law of averages and his age suggest a regression would have  happened for him this year anyways), fact of the matter is, he is still a face off monster, agitator extraordinaire, and still a physical presence on that second line that very few Anaheim centers can match right now.

Hmm...I wonder if Anaheim giving Rickard Rakell some time as the 2C would help?

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think not having Kesler is going to impact the Ducks in a big way.

They have enough to be a playoff team still, and the top line of Getzlaf, Perry, and whomever is the wing of the week can possibly make up for it, but make no mistake.... Ryan Kesler is a huge void the Ducks will have to find some way to fill.

Even if Kesler didn't have the same monster year he did last year (law of averages and his age suggest a regression would have  happened for him this year anyways), fact of the matter is, he is still a face off monster, agitator extraordinaire, and still a physical presence on that second line that very few Anaheim centers can match right now.

Hmm...I wonder if Anaheim giving Rickard Rakell some time as the 2C would help?

Agreed Kesler being out until around the first of the year is a huge hit for the Ducks. As for Rackell, he came up as a center but with Kesler and Getzlaf has been phased in slowly on the wing and has played brilliantly. It would not surprise me to see him given a shot as the 2C. It would certainly make him a keeper for your fantasy team....

• 2 months later...

Archived