After Weal / Elliot ..are Flyers done with FA?

pilldoc

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/6/30/15905818/after-jordan-weal-brian-elliott-additions-the-flyers-appear-to-be-done-in-nhl-free-agency

But more to the immediate point, Hextall was asked about his free agency plans. And after the Thursday signing of Jordan Weal and the expected signing of Brian Elliott on Saturday, it’s looking like the Flyers are done. No Justin Williams, then.

The primary reason for that? Hextall said he wants to give the young prospects every opportunity to make the Flyers roster this fall in training camp, which should be music to your dang ears on this holiday Friday afternoon.

Hextall said he doesn't want to box out young players over summer.

— Bill Meltzer (@billmeltzer) June 30, 2017

Hexy says he might have signed a vet (Justin Williams?) if he didn't sign Weal. Now he thinks he's set at F.

— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) June 30, 2017

Hextall said intent is to sign goalie tomorrow then will look at market after July 1.

— Bill Meltzer (@billmeltzer) June 30, 2017

Well folks if that is it.....I expect to see more of the prospects vying to make the team during the pre-season.  Even though this team is a bubble team at best, it will be nice to finally see some of these potentially with the team come October.  I know it has been trying all of our patience, but I get sense (and I hope I am right) that this team might finally be turning the corner .....

However...just as a warning ...we all have to temper our expectations for this club ......   

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if this is it for free agency, then so be it. I have no qualms if the Flyers don't make the playoffs this year, especially if they're working in a fairly large number of young players into the lineup. With that being said, there's no reason they can't be competitive and if they aren't competitive and if guys are just willing to roll over and give up, then they need to go. As well, the coaching staff HAVE to be committed to letting young guys play, and that means letting them play even after they make a mistake. They can't bench the young kids when they make mistakes. If the coaching staff aren't willing to do that, then they're wasting the opportunity they have with regards to these talented youngsters that are going to crack the lineup.

I would have been fine with the Flyers signing Justin Williams or Scott Hartnell.  I may not have liked the contracts but I think the players would have been good for the team.  The Williams contract probably would have hurt but the Hartnell and contract for $1 million would have been easy to absorb.  Heck, Patrick Sharp at $800K would have been a good addition to the team. 

At the end of the day, I'm fine with none of them signing with the Flyers.

7 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I would have been fine with the Flyers signing Justin Williams or Scott Hartnell.  I may not have liked the contracts but I think the players would have been good for the team.  The Williams contract probably would have hurt but the Hartnell and contract for $1 million would have been easy to absorb.  Heck, Patrick Sharp at $800K would have been a good addition to the team. 

At the end of the day, I'm fine with none of them signing with the Flyers.

Hartnell is probably the exact opposite of what Hextall is looking for on this team. He literally gave him away for a pile of poop...do you actually think Hextall would bring him back?

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Hartnell is probably the exact opposite of what Hextall is looking for on this team. He literally gave him away for a pile of poop...do you actually think Hextall would bring him back?

Hextall traded him because of the bad contract trying to get out of cap hell.  He could have brought him back for 1M.  I think once he resigned Weal, he stopped looking at free agents.  

5 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Hextall traded him because of the bad contract trying to get out of cap hell.  He could have brought him back for 1M.  I think once he resigned Weal, he stopped looking at free agents.  

could have but didn't because he doesnt want Hartnell on this team

I understand people like Hartnell because of what he did years ago, but now he's nowhere near what he was. 

48 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I understand people like Hartnell because of what he did years ago, but now he's nowhere near what he was. 

#hartnelldown

We only have $2.48 mil left in cap this year (including the $1 mil in overages from last year).  That does NOT include Patrick if he is on the roster so there will be a less than the $2.48.  We really don't have any roster spaces for Hartnell, Sharp, etc.  Also I don't think they would have signed for so little in Philadelphia where there is no chance, unless Patrick comes in with Selanne rookie numbers, of winning the cup.  

I'm fine with the roster as it stands, we have a lot of youth coming in to earn a their spots.  Hopefully next year at the trade deadline we can flip Elliott or Neuvirth for a pick and start bringing  up some goalies.

Currently, the Flyers sit with over 6 million in space with 19 skaters. The 2.48 million figure assumes that Patrick replaces Vecchione, and Lindblom plus Hagg and either Morin or Sanheim are on the big club. Without making any trades, the Flyers could conceivably add a 3.5 million dollar contract by burying Read or Weise, but that leaves no buffer for bonus payments, which the Flyers will likely have 6 players eligible (Currently up to 2.175 million, not accounting for Patrick's unsigned ELC - Hagg has no bonuses in his contract).

9 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

The rumors were he was talking to Justin Williams, not Hartnell.   Hextall also came out and said he did not want to block the young players coming up  so that was a major factor in him not signing any free agents after Weal.  

4 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

We should have just given Patrick Marleau a 3 year $24m contract with NMC!!!!

Now were talkin' gosh I miss the good old days

4 hours ago, Off the Pipe said:

Rumors are Hexy in talks with Markov. 1 year stopgap may not be too bad.

First, I highly doubt this. 

Second, I'd have an aneurysm if it happened. People keep posting about getting this that or the other veteran defenseman and it dizzies me every time. 

There is absolutely no reason to bring in Markov or any other veteran has been to this team. There is no place for them and no logical use for them and it flies in the face of everything Hextall is clearly doing and has deliberately and obviously cleared the decks to do. 

If the weird misguided idea is to bring in "veteran leadership" on defense we 1)already have it in Gudas and Mcdonald and 2)just let cheaper versions of it go in Schultz and MDZ. 

This doesn't make the slightest bit of sense given everything going on with this team and how it is being set up. I don't know where that rumor originated, but I really have a hard time believing it's legit.

They're playing the kids. Period. 

21 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

We should have just given Patrick Marleau a 3 year $24m contract with NMC!!!!

LOL Why only 3?  Do it the Flyer way and go the full 8

4 hours ago, Off the Pipe said:

Rumors are Hexy in talks with Markov. 1 year stopgap may not be too bad.

Just say no .....  as @ruxpin mentioned above, there is NO reason to bring Markov in.  It goes against everything Hexy is trying to do with this team.  Me thinks it is a misguided rumor.

A few things. 

First, this only works if Hextall moves out cap. Markov was asking 2x6. Looks like he's not getting that now, but the Flyers can barely afford 3.5. So one of Weise/Raffl/Read/Macdonald would have to move out, and not just to the AHL.

IMO, this only makes sense if MacDonald is not on the team next year, given Hextall's statement that he doesn't want to box out kids. Play Gudas with Provorov for a legitimate top pairing, play Markov with Hagg or Morin, and the other with Ghost. 

32 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

A few things. 

First, this only works if Hextall moves out cap. Markov was asking 2x6. Looks like he's not getting that now, but the Flyers can barely afford 3.5. So one of Weise/Raffl/Read/Macdonald would have to move out, and not just to the AHL.

IMO, this only makes sense if MacDonald is not on the team next year, given Hextall's statement that he doesn't want to box out kids. Play Gudas with Provorov for a legitimate top pairing, play Markov with Hagg or Morin, and the other with Ghost. 

This makes ZERO sense.

[EDIT:  I meant Markov makes no sense. Not your post] 

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's Facebook talk among people who have no idea what Hextall is doing (for better or for worse). 

I've learned a long time that for the vast majority of the time, Flyer fans on FB have no clue what they are talking about.  I've shut up more than one individual on there.  I tell them if they want real hockey discussions then come here and I directed them to our site with a hyper-link. 

Archived