Bolts get Kunitz with one-year, $2M deal

pilldoc

http://www.tsn.ca/bolts-get-kunitz-with-one-year-2m-deal-1.794526

The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed forward Chris Kunitz to a one-year, $2 million contract.

We have signed Chris Kunitz to a one-year contract worth $2 million. https://t.co/MJOkwN0fbv

— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) July 1, 2017

The 37-year-old had a down year in 2016-17, with nine goals and 20 assists in 71 regular season games for the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, he was the Penguins’ hero in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final against the Ottawa Senators, scoring the double-overtime winner to send the Pens back to the Stanley Cup Final. Kunitz tallied two goals and nine assists in 20 playoffs games as the Penguins repeated as Stanley Cup champions.

The three/four-time Stanley Cup winner was at the end of a three-year, $11.55 million dollar contract signed with the Pens prior to the 2013-14 season. He has spent the last eight and a half seasons with the team and won two/three Cups

Hmm...I wanted Brian Boyle back as a veteran bottom six presence, but since he signed with New Jersey, I guess Yzerman figured Kunitz will do.

Problem is, Kunitz doesn't take faceoffs, is older than Boyle, and, well, does he have anything left??

I guess the TB GM thinks Kunitz has 2 million reasons why he may still be NHL viable. We will see......just as SOON as Coach Cooper runs Kunitz through the car wash to get that Penguin odor off of him... :bigteeth:

Gonna be tough to do since he was a Penguin for quite a long time.

Hopefully though, Cooper doesn't wipe away the Stanley Cup smell off of him while he is at it.........

29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...I wanted Brian Boyle back as a veteran bottom six presence, but since he signed with New Jersey, I guess Yzerman figured Kunitz will do.

Problem is, Kunitz doesn't take faceoffs, is older than Boyle, and, well, does he have anything left??

I guess the TB GM thinks Kunitz has 2 million reasons why he may still be NHL viable. We will see......just as SOON as Coach Cooper runs Kunitz through the car wash to get that Penguin odor off of him... :bigteeth:

Gonna be tough to do since he was a Penguin for quite a long time.

Hopefully though, Cooper doesn't wipe away the Stanley Cup smell off of him while he is at it.........

He may like the smell. Probably why the Bolts signed him! Yzerman was probably thinking that Kunitz recent Cup experience could the Bolts to the next level! 

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Why the 3/4 Cups and later 2/3 cups. What Cup are we questioning? 

Yea, I was thinking the same thing..

At first, I thought ol @pilldoc was trying to lay some sort of baking recipe on us.....

I was waiting to see how much icing would be needed, the proper amount of flour AND the bake time....but it never came... ;)

Yzerman has been trying to replace Brendan Morrow for a couple seasons now.

Morrow, albeit a depleted player, was very good on a line with JT Brown and Brian Boyle most nights, while looking very tired on others.

After Morrow called it a career, Erik Condra was brought in.....needless to say Condra was a bit of a misstep for Yzerman as he ended up buried in the minors.

Now he tries Chris Kunitz.

Well, at the very least, even if Kunitz doesn't work either, the Bolts know they have plenty of up n comers who would love a shot at ANY bottom six role (for starters) TB may have available.

I am hoping Kunitz can surprise everyone and still have enough left in the tank after two straight Stanley Cup wins so that even some of the greener TB players can see how it's done.

I STILL think a re-sign of Brian Boyle would have been better though....

Archived