Pens sign Niemi

The Pens sign nemeii for one year to back up Murray next! This is a little bit of an up grade from Marc Andre Fleury! If I read the article correctly it was to give Tristan Jarry an extra year in. WBS to give him more playing time. I'm  curious to see how this turns out!

Just now, notfondajane said:

This is a little bit of an up grade from Marc Andre Fleury! 

I really don't know how to respond to this.

• hf101 changed the title to Pens sign Niemi
2 minutes ago, SlapShot66 said:

I'll take Niemi over Fleury in an instant. . . . . . .

wow, you guys are haters... LOL, once you get a 20 game load of Niemi, I suspect you'll be singing a different tune.

There's no cup parade in Pgh were it not for Fluery beating the Caps and CBJ...29 won that Caps series.

this is truly a case where the grass isn't greener. 

Niemi flat out sucks.

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

wow, you guys are haters... LOL, once you get a 20 game load of Niemi, I suspect you'll be singing a different tune.

There's no cup parade in Pgh were it not for Fluery beating the Caps and CBJ...29 won that Caps series.

Niemi flat out sucks.

This, this and this again. 

Having two netminders the likes and Fleury and Murray for two seasons...in the cap era...was a luxury.  It's no coincidence that the Pens won two Cups those seasons in which both Fleury and Murray played huge roles (understatement of the day). 

Now we have to live with Murray and a "serviceable" back up.  For two seasons, if our "starter" was hurt no one worried because the "back up" was more than capable. That goes out the window moving forward. I know I want Murray to be (and stay) healthy come playoff time (no offense to Niemi).

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Niemi flat out sucks.

It also took him 9 years to win a playoff series! Which I honestly believe that cost the Pens 3 Stanley Cup finals appearances! 

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

It also took him 9 years to win a playoff series! Which I honestly believe that cost the Pens 3 Stanley Cup finals appearances! 

Where ya getting 9 years?

He won at least 1 series in 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 13-14 and 16-17.  Biggest gap is 4 years.

14 hours ago, B21 said:

Where ya getting 9 years?

He won at least 1 series in 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 13-14 and 16-17.  Biggest gap is 4 years.

13/14 Vokuum relieved Fleury against the Islanders and won the second round before being stymied by the Bruins in the E.C.F.!

2010 was a first round lose to the Canadiens in 7 games. That wasn't Fleury fault someone wanted bookend losses to Montreal! (Lost 2-1 to Montreal atthe Civic Arena in Oct. 67! His next series win was against C.B.J. in 2016/17!

I'm  sorry the Pens defeated the Sens in the 1st round in 2010 then lost to Montreal! His next series win was against C.B.J in 2017!

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

13/14 Vokuum relieved Fleury against the Islanders and won the second round before being stymied by the Bruins in the E.C.F.!

2010 was a first round lose to the Canadiens in 7 games. That wasn't Fleury fault someone wanted bookend losses to Montreal! (Lost 2-1 to Montreal atthe Civic Arena in Oct. 67! His next series win was against C.B.J. in 2016/17!

I'm  sorry the Pens defeated the Sens in the 1st round in 2010 then lost to Montreal! His next series win was against C.B.J in 2017!

Ok I was wrong it wasn't 9 it was 8!

9 hours ago, notfondajane said:

In 2013-14 the Pens (and Fleury) beat the Blue Jackets in the first round before losing to the Rangers in the next round.

In 2009-10 they beat the Senators (again - with Fleury) in the first round before losing the the Habs in the next round.

2012-13 was the series with the Isles but as you can see - he won a series after that in 2013-14.

Worth mentioning that in 2014-15 they lost to the Rangers in the first round in 5 games. In 4 of those games the Pens scores 1 goal. Fleury's GAA was 2.12 and Save % was .927.  As @radoran would say.... #blamethegoalie. :)

Is that the series where Javelin scored the series winner on a shot that had no business going into the the net? Please tell how many series MAF has won between 09 and 16? (1 in 2010)

6 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Is that the series where Javelin scored the series winner on a shot that had no business going into the the net? Please tell how many series MAF has won between 09 and 16? (1 in 2010)

Now your changing the stakes midway through the poker game. You said 9 years. It's actually 4 which includes a first round exit which was clearly not of his doing.  He had four abysmal playoffs from 09-10 through 12-13 bookended by a few Cups - two of which he played big roles in and another run to the SCF (07-08) that the Pens don't make with out him.

Hate all ya want. Just get the facts straight. :VeryCool:

2 hours ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

I don't see the Pens winning the cup next season with Niemi in the line up.

I don't think anyone does. That's why he's the back-up.

14 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Man, some Flower haters on this one... I would take Flower over Niemi any day of the week.  Niemi is terrible...

That's way the Pens let him go! Fleury could not stop a beach ball if it was handed to him! The DEfense had to play goalkeeper to be sure the opposition wouldn't score.

:haha:

12 hours ago, B21 said:

Now your changing the stakes midway through the poker game. You said 9 years. It's actually 4 which includes a first round exit which was clearly not of his doing.  He had four abysmal playoffs from 09-10 through 12-13 bookended by a few Cups - two of which he played big roles in and another run to the SCF (07-08) that the Pens don't make with out him.

Hate all ya want. Just get the facts straight. :VeryCool:

Facts are straight! It's scary when I could call goals by the opposition when he was in net! Few times I was able to predict the final score 1 minute into the game when he was in goal!?

Just now, notfondajane said:

I don't think he'll play that much, if Murray  stays heathly!

Rutherford wants Niemi to start 30-40 games.

6 hours ago, notfondajane said:

:haha:

Facts are straight! It's scary when I could call goals by the opposition when he was in net! Few times I was able to predict the final score 1 minute into the game when he was in goal!?

You said 9 years. It's 4.  3 if the Pens average more than just over a goal per game against the Rangers. 

You're welcome. :DancingGrape:

2 minutes ago, B21 said:

You said 9 years. It's 4.  3 if the Pens average more than just over a goal per game against the Rangers. 

You're welcome. :DancingGrape:

Yea ok! 9 years sounds about right! 

Archived