Pens sign Niemi

4 minutes ago, B21 said:

You said 9 years. It's 4.  3 if the Pens average more than just over a goal per game against the Rangers. 

You're welcome. :DancingGrape:

Fleury would have let the Rangers score one more than the Pens! 

On 7/8/2017 at 5:20 PM, notfondajane said:

B21 what we are debating you are right about is past and gone and can't be changed. Let's hope that Niemi plays better!

Fixed. :DancingGrape:

All Niemi has to be is serviceable for his 20-25 starts.  This is Matt Murray's show now.

On 7/7/2017 at 11:28 PM, FriendlyGuitarist said:

Even as a back up. I see him losing more games then winning.

For a back-up, I'll take a .910 Save % and 2.50 GAA (both worse than his career average).  With those numbers he's no worse than a .500 goaltender on this team. Heck, he was 12-12 with Dallas last year with a sub .900 Save % and 3.30 GAA...and Dallas was a train wreck.

5 minutes ago, B21 said:

For a back-up, I'll take a .910 Save % and 2.50 GAA (both worse than his career average).  With those numbers he's no worse than a .500 goaltender on this team. Heck, he was 12-12 with Dallas last year with a sub .900 Save % and 3.30 GAA...and Dallas was a train wreck.

I totally agree! I would take. 500 winning percentage at worst. 

I would prefer a slightly better than that. .600 would be ideal in my eyes, that might be  a dream!

• 4 weeks later...

I think that this is not too bad acquisition even though that in my opinion, Fleury is a better goalie Niemi. I think that Pittsburgh should have protected him and shouldn't leave him to expose. They lost him to Vegas team because of this.

In my opinion, Fleury and Murray were a great duo, and both of them were perfect for Pittsburgh and did a fantastic job on the net. I think that Niemi is a good goalie but not as good as Fleury.

In my opinion, because of the loss of Fleury so it's a good acquisition, but it shouldn't have got to this if Pittsburgh has protected Fleury. I hope that Niemi will be useful as a backup to Murray. I guess that we will need to wait until the start of the season. Hopefully, Niemi will fill the hole on the net that Fleury left by his departure.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:03 AM, Edanl said:

I think that this is not too bad acquisition even though that in my opinion, Fleury is a better goalie Niemi. I think that Pittsburgh should have protected him and shouldn't leave him to expose. They lost him to Vegas team because of this.

In my opinion, Fleury and Murray were a great duo, and both of them were perfect for Pittsburgh and did a fantastic job on the net. I think that Niemi is a good goalie but not as good as Fleury.

In my opinion, because of the loss of Fleury so it's a good acquisition, but it shouldn't have got to this if Pittsburgh has protected Fleury. I hope that Niemi will be useful as a backup to Murray. I guess that we will need to wait until the start of the season. Hopefully, Niemi will fill the hole on the net that Fleury left by his departure.

The problem was that they HAD to expose one of them.  And although Fleury is a great goalie, and a valued team mate, he's getting up there in years(32). With the way Murray has played in his short time, he has become the Penguins goalie of the future, so they protected him instead of Fleury. I'm sure that GM Rutherford could have made a deal with Vegas for them to NOT take Fleury, but that would have hamstrung them cap wise for what became a backup goalie. The Pens benefited greatly from having them both the past two years, but the time came where a choice had to be made. 

Also of note, the Pens started last year trying to give both equal time in net, and that did not work out.  Niemi's role is going to be a more traditional role to spell Murray every few games and make sure he's not overworked.  Murray will be getting the bulk of the time. 

On 8/2/2017 at 9:03 AM, Edanl said:

I  think the team in front of Neimi is better than he had in Dallas! I'm curious if his play will pick up a bit?  :shakeshead:

Archived