Benning=stop this man before he signs again!

yave1964

Good lord, what were the Canucks doing yesterday???With only 13 games left in the team's regular season, Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning said fans can expect to see more ice time for the club's new and younger players like Reid Boucher, checked here by Philadelphia Flyers' Pierre-Edouard Bellemare.

The Canucks who have become a laughing stock in the NHL due to inept management making bad trades and worse signings yesterday took it to another level. a team that overpaid floater Loui Eriksson to figure skate down the wing beside his fellow aging Swedes last year just managed to go out and spend millions and somehow become worse:

SAM GAGNER was supposed to be good, he bombed in Edmonton, was a no show in Philly and rode two hot months in Columbus before seeing his shadow and scurying away again into a three year contract.

ALEXANDER BURMISTROV once quit on Winnipeg because the meany of a coach was not nice to him, came back, was let go and couldnt find ice time with the Coyotes. Once highly coveted no longer relevant.

ANDERS NILSSON this is your new goalie Vancouver well either he or holdover Jacob Markstrom who was once supposed to be good but is not either. 78 games, 29-40 record with a career 2.94 goals against. The Canucks now have two six foot six 27 year old goalies from Sweden who cannot play.

MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO Has to be out of chances, isnt he? Oh yeah, he is, that is why he has to sign with the Island of misfit toys.

PATRICK WIERCIOCH formerly of the Colorado Avalanche famed blue line. Famed for their ineptitude and he was among the chief culprits as one of the games slowest players. His first three strides could be times with a sun dial.

And the rumor is that NAIL YAKUPOV is coming to town.

The problem is not one of these signings, it is all of them. Benning goes out and looks at players who were once supposed to be good but are not and says, 'well maybe they can come here and we can get them back on track the Canuck way' which every team does on occasion and every now and then you catch lightning in a bottle but more often than not it amounts to nothing. all five not counting Nail will be regulars all year barring injuries and while the Canucks slip towards the bottom of the standings Benning will bring in more of the same. The Brandon Sutter five year deal a few years ago was appalling, the trade of Kesler and Luongo for essentially nothing stands out, the addition of guys like Bartschi, Granlund, Dorsett and others who at one time were supposed to be good but who arent was not enough. The new class, the  'Vancouver five' not counting Nail is a new low.

As a Wings fan I pray we dont hit rock bottom. That is where Vancouver is now and the Sedin's are UFA at the end of next year.

Betting on a single long shot is one thing, but to make that bet on almost 1/3 of what will be your nightly roster is another one entirely. I have no choice but to compare Benning to Kevin Lowe, Steve Tambellini, and Craig MacTavish.

Lowe -  operated under financial constraints like perhaps no GM in league history, going so far as to folding his AHL team due to lack of money. From 2000 to 2006, had the Oilers in the playoff 4 times in 6 seasons, including a game 7 loss in the Cup Final in '06. Lost key players within weeks of the season ending, and spent the rest of his tenure big game hunting, convinced that he was a player away from winning it all. Really, the team was steadily slipping, with his time culminating in the trading of Ryan Smyth over a difference of $100,000 in salary, and the RFA signing of Dustin Penner. Finally fired upstairs in the organization after alienting other GMs and fans. Confuses playing success with management success.

Tambellini - he is the manager Benning reminds me of the most. Excelled at tearing the team down for a rebuild with no idea of how to do the actual building part, bringing in career minor leaguers, failed draft picks, and reclamation projects like Cam Barker, Colin Fraser and Patrick O'Sullivan (who cost them Erik Cole). Spent the entire 2009 offseason, flying around and beging Dany Heatley to accept a trade to Edmonton. When asked about the health of newly-signed free agent Nikolai Khabibulin, he noted that the goalie must be healthy, because Khabibulin's agent assured it was all good in that department. It wasn't. A disaster.

MacTavish - Came in talking about being bold, and followed it up with lame move after lame move. After 10 minutes officially on the job, he had destroyed Devan Dubnyk's confidence and driven down his trade value, and stood there with an arm around Ales Hemsky's shoulder, talking about how he needed to be moved out of town. In the offseason of 2013, he fired head coach Ralph Krueger over Skype whilst on vacation, after hiring Dallas Eakins, who was interviewed as a potential assistant coach. Was fired on the exact same day that Devan Dubnyk was later nominated for the Vezina. Once flew to the wrong country to scout a player.

If you look at a GM, and say that he reminds you of a particular member of this group, then that is bad news for your team.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The problem is not one of these signings, it is all of them. Benning goes out and looks at players who were once supposed to be good but are not and says, 'well maybe they can come here and we can get them back on track the Canuck way'

Homer is that you ...???  Sounds like the Flyers for many, many years.  Signing NHL re-treads ....so glad that era of Flyers hockey is over .....

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

that is why he has to sign with the Island of misfit toys.

that alone is a great statement ! LOL ...

all_misfit_toys_welcome_here-1.jpg

What's even funnier, to me anyways, is how some years ago, when I asked my infamous, "Who will be the next Canadian franchise to win the Stanley Cup?", many had said "Vancouver, Vancouver, Vancouver!".

Of course, that was during the time when the Canucks had players in their prime, were dominating the then North West division and had that run to the Finals where the Bruins beat them.

Oh how the "mighty" have fallen.

Just look at this franchise now.

They are probably set to not only be last in their division, but likely be a 50+ loss team yet again this coming season.

I posted this in the updated free agents thread, but I will say it again...What a wacky frankstein-like team this is that resembles MORE of an expansion group than the flippin Vegas Knights!

I knew a few Vancouver hockey fans on general sports boards some years back.....two of them I stayed in contact shortly after those boards went belly up....very nice guys really. Then I lost contact with both of them too.

But they always seemed to have a smug, slightly pompous attitude when it came to how their team stacked up in the NHL.

I'd sure like to know how they are dealing with this void of a time period for Vancouver now....

Archived