Hunter Miska, Yotes goalie of the future?

jammer2

Hunter Miska took the NCAA by storm last year. 

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4251563-college-mens-hockey-miska-one-and-done-umd-signs-arizona-coyotes

Stats from last season in Minnesota, Duluth of the NCAA.  His team was knocked out in the Frozen Four by eventual champs Denver. Some REAL nice stats for 1st year in NCAA. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145523

Time will tell the tale, but this kid has a legit shot at eventual #1 goalie. Another one of these kids developed by the USDP. 39 games last year in the NCAA, 27 wins...5 loses....5 OT games. A total of 5 games were shut outs. A very respectable 2.20 GGA and .920 SV%....I would imagine he would improve those sterling numbers had he returned to Minn....but has it stands now, he will battle Louis Domingue for back up spot to Annti Ranta.

Interesting thing, Miska makes the most money.....LOL, at 1.3 a year, Rannta at an even mill along with Louis at a mill. So, all 3 of these contract can be buried in the AHL with no cap hit for the parent Coyotes. I can only assume there was a bit of a bidding war for Hunter's services, I heard 5 or 6 teams were interested in signing him up. Who ever loses the back up battle, it appears the Tuscan Roadrunners will be strong in net. 

My gut says Miska barely misses out on the back up spot, but Louis was VERY shakey many times last year, so Miska coming up to the NHL is really only a matter of time. 

In an odd twist of fate, Hunter Miska's Dad Todd Miska actually does Goalie masks for NHL goalies...

"

Todd Miska is overjoyed at his son’s success, but not surprised. Since Hunter was little, he has spent time around his father’s famous clients, whose dedication to a half-brave, half-crazy profession seemed to rub off on him.

“He walks and talks the position every day,’’ said Todd Miska, who has created masks for former Wild goalies Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding, as well as retired NHL stars Miikka Kiprusoff and Evgeni Nabokov. “Hunter has so much passion for the position and the game. For him to start so late and reach this pinnacle, it’s just unbelievable.’’ 

At the very least, Hunter will have a killer mask for free...LOL!

A nice glove save by Miska, who seems to be fairly athletic....

This one might be a bit nicer, nice glove hand on the kid....

I didn't realize Miska left Duluth as he was, imo the MVP of the NCAA tournament last year as Miska had several OT victories. UMD actually played in the Finals vs Denver. The kid made some huge incredible saves in that tournament.  And Damm,  I was thinking that UMD had an excellent chance for a division title this upcoming season.  lol

Oh well, he surely has been on the fast track, as he didn't mind net until he was 14.  Granted he is 22 as he didn't go to college right out of HS.

Here are some more info on him.

Miska played two seasons at North Branch High School before moving on to the U.S. national team development program in Michigan. Later he excelled in the junior ranks, becoming the top goaltender in the British Columbia Hockey League during two seasons with Penticton before spending one year with Dubuque of the U.S. Hockey League. Miska was named USA Hockey’s goalie of the year in 2015-16, when he led Dubuque to the Clark Cup finals.

As a freshman, Miska rose to the top of a three-man group to become the starter. He is the first Bulldogs goalie to start his college career 6-0-0 and is second in the nation in victories (26) and win percentage (81.4). Miska also has tied the school record with five shutouts and is 16-1-1 in road games.

http://www.startribune.com/hunter-miska-with-special-mask-put-umd-on-frozen-four-stage/418455433/

I think the biggest negative on him is his size as he isn't one of the biggest goalies in the NHL, but he reads the play very well and is quick and agile.

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

A very respectable 2.20 GGA and .920 SV%

Might want to pump the brakes on this kid he still needs some time to develop in the AHL.

And Alex Lyon in back to back years had better numbers than him just for example and he is still going on his 2nd year of the AHL.

Goalies develop differently than other positions. Arizona needs to utilize those two years on his entry level deal to sharpen his skills.

However this kid has a lot of potential yet it needs to be handled right or it could be another crash and burn.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:09 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Might want to pump the brakes on this kid he still needs some time to develop in the AHL.

And Alex Lyon in back to back years had better numbers than him just for example and he is still going on his 2nd year of the AHL.

Goalies develop differently than other positions. Arizona needs to utilize those two years on his entry level deal to sharpen his skills.

However this kid has a lot of potential yet it needs to be handled right or it could be another crash and burn.

Yeah, I don't think this kid is anywhere near ready. Based on the numbers and promise the tag of "potential franchise goalie" does seem to fit though. A few years will give us a much clearer picture. Would be nice for the yotes though, seems like they have had re-tread goalies for a the longest time, they could use a fresh talented face in the nets. 

Archived